Do's and Don'ts for the unoccupied Retreat Home

Started by intelijoc, December 27, 2008, 08:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopknight

NM_Shooter

Those are pretty cool, but I don't think I'd want to use them on property against trespassing.

Keep in mind that with booby traps, they can be found and used against you.  I would hate to have some vindictive person take that blank device and locate it at head level pointing down a trail.  I'm just paranoid about that sort of thing.  I think I'll stick to cameras.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Whitlock

Do put alcohol in the traps of your sinks to keep them from freezing. (not Jack Daniels Glenn)
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Squirl

Yes the discussion of devices for protection of your home can be interesting to talk about but the legal standard is only for homes that you are in at the time.  If you are not there and any device causes injury or death you can (and many people have) go to jail for assault or manslaughter. The purpose of causing injury under the law is only to protect injury to yourself or others.  If you or your family are not there and have no chance of being injured, you are doing it simply to protect possessions.  Taking a life for your tv is not usually a recognized legal standard.

My personal fear is that someone might need to break in for a reason.  Many cabins are in remote areas and there may actually be an emergency people are trying to overcome.  Such as if there is an accident and someone needs a phone or shelter from the weather.  I would do the same thing with full intent on paying the owner for whatever damage I may have caused.  Not a good time to slit your wrist on broken glass shards or get a shotgun blast.

Bishopknight

How about cardboard cutouts taped to a running railroad set?  ;D

soomb

Wasn't that used in the Steve Martin movie: The Lonely Guy?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Bishopknight

soomb

Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

intelijoc

About 8 years ago, a group of use were skiing in CO.,when finished-- we were "near" my property and the group said "sure let's see it"  - got up to the property in a 4wheel, saw the lot (snowed in) and was about to get downoff the mountain- I decided to make a run through a "fluffy" snowed over road- not good 6 of us got stuck.  Up to me to dig us out- no shovel- walked to the nearest cabin, commandeered a plastic snow shovel (one of those stupid plastic flat blade things)- began to dig out the stuck 4x4; broke shovel, returned broken shovel, to front porch, with a crsip, new 20$ that I was about to put into the mailbox- actually it was like a large wooden box for a package of some crap and I heard someone yell, "Don't F**ing Move!."  Ok, dude came around the corner with a double barrel aimed at me. Said he wanted to blast my ass when I took his shovel but I was off his property by the time he got his go-go gun.  When He saw the 20$ his mood changed- slightly.  He actually dragged our sorry asses out of the mess.  Over the past 6 years I have become "coridal" to crazy Jake.  Jake eventually told me that he had a tripline with a "banger" near his well? but that he got rid of it when an accidental discharge damn near burned down his garage. 

Whitlock

I have used solar powered Red and blue lights hung in the trees around my cabin to keep away vandals at night.
Worked very well, so well infact It kept away family that didn't know about them heh
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

Bill Houghton

On our last cabin, I slopped all of the water lines to the basement and put valves there.  When it was time to go, just unplugged the water pump, opened the sink valves, flushed the toilets, drained the lines (took just a few seconds), put anti freeze in the traps of sinks and toilets and left.  Had a heater in the small utility room downstairs so that the the pump, holding tank and hot water tank wouldn't freeze.  On arrival next trip, start the fire, get the place warmed up, close the sink valves and go plug in the pump.  I love insulation so had the place packed like mad.

Great question by the way.

Bill in the U.P.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Whitlock on December 29, 2008, 11:56:45 AM
Do put alcohol in the traps of your sinks to keep them from freezing. (not Jack Daniels Glenn)

I'd never put Jack Daniels in the sink. [crz] [hungry]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

intelijoc

B Houghton; ever been to Picture Rock or Big Bear Dunes?

Bill Houghton

Quote from: intelijoc on December 30, 2008, 08:39:14 AM
B Houghton; ever been to Picture Rock or Big Bear Dunes?

Intelijoc,

My dad (gone now) was a photographer and owned a post card company.  We were often to those spots taking pictures for cards.  Our only family vacations were trips for such things.  We have some old pictures of Pictured Rocks before the erosion and the platforms and fences that are there now.

Thanks for asking.  Nice stroll down memory lane.

Bill in the U.P.

intelijoc

B Houghton:

We may have a postcard of his profession.  I am a Michigander- Bay City native,and the UP/Michigan and all things that come with it including but not limited to I-75 traffic, deer dodging also on I-75 perogies and Uncle Ted all hold a special place. 

Cheers;

Intelijoc

Bill Houghton

Quote from: intelijoc on December 31, 2008, 12:21:27 PM
B Houghton:

We may have a postcard of his profession.  I am a Michigander- Bay City native,and the UP/Michigan and all things that come with it including but not limited to I-75 traffic, deer dodging also on I-75 perogies and Uncle Ted all hold a special place. 

Cheers;

Intelijoc

Intelijoc,

Dad's company was the Upper Michigan Card Company, Manistique.  It has been a long time, but we used to still occasionally find some of his cards on racks around the U.P.  Dad loved the Mackinaw Bridge, and would head out on the spur of the moment to see what kind of pictures he could capture.  Had some neat ones with lightening and time lapse of car lights and even boats.

Thanks for saying hello.

Bill in the U.P.