Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

A picture of some of my toys.
Ruger Mini-14 .223
M1A/M14 Match Grade 7.62
12 Ga. with a few handy 3" Mag Slugs/OObuck
Lots of rounds in Mags for the other two even a vest to carry them in. Mark

glenn kangiser

30-30  -- I shot a skunk in the head with one under the kitchen sink in my dads place in Oregon when I was about 9.

Bad scene -- brains all over the kitchen. hmm

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: John C on March 29, 2008, 10:23:06 PM
I don't shoot well with iron sights anymore. 
Tell me about it.   :(   

Thank goodness for optical sights,  :)  even 2.5X makes the difference
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: John C on March 29, 2008, 10:47:02 PM
Kill any plumbing? ???

How long were your ears ringing?

1. No, I was a very good shot - even at that age.  Skunk stuck it's head through a hole in the floor as the kitchen was a woodshed originally --converted to part of a house after the original one burned down.  I don't know if mom ever covered that hole up, but she has remodeled a couple times so I think she has.

2.  What did you say? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_C

I knew of a Delta pilot who shot at a rat under the kitchen sink.  He stuck his head under there and blasted the rat with a .38 revolver.  Blew away a supply line too and the muzzle report was virtually deafening with his head stuck under the cabinet. 

When there was a debate whether pilots should be armed I was basically in favor of it..... just not all of them.

John_C

When my daughter was a junior in HS she stayed home sick one day and I went off to work.  She was laying on the couch and heard a noise on the porch.  Someone was walking around; they didn't knock on the door but walked around looking through windows. She was frightened and slid off the couch and more or less hid under the coffee table.  She called the sheriff on her cell phone, then me and tried several neighbors.  I drove home as fast as I could but it was probably 15 min. before I got there.  It was another half hour before the sheriff arrived.  Other than very scared she was fine, but the length of time she was on her own changed her outlook.

In spite of calling every number she could think of she was on her own in a rather isolated house in the woods for almost an hour.  We never found out who had been at the house and nothing was damaged or stolen, but she had been sick, alone and terrified.  Soon thereafter my daughter wanted to learn how to handle the guns and shoot straight.  In college she is taking a variety of self defense classes.  She goes to a military college with a large Army Ranger community ... a good place to learn self defense techniques.

NM_Shooter

Most folks ignore security until scared into changing their ways.  I did.

BTW... I found a "cheap" GPS based transmitter that has some neat features, including an "OK" button that transmits an "I am well" signal to folks who want to know and can track your position online.  It costs $170, but requires a $100 annual license fee to access. 

You can also hit a button that is a mid-level request for assistance.  This button prompts an email message or phone text message that indicates that you need help, but does not prompt the 911 emergency rescue.  There is a seperate button for the 911 mode. 

http://www.findmespot.com/home.aspx

This would save a whole lot of backcountry skiers.   We just lost two snowboarders off the back side of Wolf Creek this season.  They still have not been found.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

apaknad

hi,
first post. man, you guys had me crackin' up with some of these posts and replies. luv it! what was it one poster said? made the survivor guy on "tremors" look like a cub scout? had me LOL. c*
i too have a survivalists mentality and am looking to build a cabin from one of these plans(got it narrowed down to two). i am very pleased to see people with my own instincts here.
.38 special, ultra compact V-10 springfield 45 cal., and my prized M1A similar to what i had in nam(usmc).
looking to get a shotgun soon. had to sell my marlin 450 guide gun, sks, p-38 and bennelli super black eagle when i got sick and lost home and everything 5 years ago. startin' over, no credit, pay as you go(hence the interest in this site).
don't know where i will build yet but am open to suggestions and if close to posters will trade labor for help/labor.
hope to hear from you posters anything on your mind about my situation.
god save us from our leaders. i'm outta here.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Redoverfarm

apaknad   w* to the board.  Some go a little overbaord while others a little under. So they balance themselves out.  What area are you from now and where to you plan to go?  Myself I have taken up permanent residency and have no plans of relocating unless my little piece of heaven falls off the face of the earth.  In that case I will probably go with it.   ;D

apaknad

hi redover,
don't know where to go yet but would like to hear opinions and suggestions and who knows, maybe i can be a neighbor from a , or some, posters. still looking and weighing options. i am in mich. for now. staying here to help mom(92 y.o. and has terminal cancer). after i deal with estate i will leave here. single but would like to find a like minded g.f.
wow, just watched that movie "into the wild" and saw alot of myself in it. scary and sad.
what area you from redover?
i also posed on some survival info earlier if you want to see.
looking for new friends because old ones are blind for the most part to the general situation and are NOT prepared for anything! :(

glenn kangiser

Nice to see someone who can see what's up. 

Ernest T Bass - Andrew is in U.P. Mich I think.   I find myself to be lazy enough that I don't want to fight the weather in the winter so I hang out in California....at least until they come to haul me off to a detention camp-- then I guess it's free lunch. [crz]

Redoverfarm

In the Mountain State near the Va state line.  A really good place to hide.  Unlike Ca where everyone knows Glenn.  By the way Glenn haven't you learned by now that "nothings free". 

glenn kangiser

I have mountains and I find more mine's....caves every week....guess I better go run that bear out of that one soon - I may need it. :)

hmm no free lunch?

apaknad

hi all,
r-farm, how are the land prices out there? i know it is a beautiful state and like u said can b secluded.

Redoverfarm

Just depends on which area of the state you are looking at.  Mountains, level,river or all three.  They are getting like everywhere else.  Some mountain land is still reasonable with $500-2K per acre. Level areas 2-10K.  I would go to some of the major realtors in that state and take a look on line of what they have to offer.