In this thread: I post stupid questions and images of building plans.

Started by Building, April 30, 2014, 08:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Maybe this thread will help you visualize your roof.  Just enter the demensions and you will see your various measurements associated with different roof pitches.

http://www.blocklayer.com/roof/GableEng.aspx

Building

The foundation will be three vertical courses of blocks laid atop trenchformed concrete footers.

Presuming normal block size (8" X 8" X 16"), how wide does the poured footer have to be to accomidate the blocks? How deep must it be?

This is in Florida so there is no frost line. I haven't been able to derive anything from the Florida Building Code, but I am a beginner at understanding that, so maybe I'm missing something.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Building on May 29, 2014, 03:35:16 PM
The foundation will be three vertical courses of blocks laid atop trenchformed concrete footers.

Presuming normal block size (8" X 8" X 16"), how wide does the poured footer have to be to accomidate the blocks? How deep must it be?

This is in Florida so there is no frost line. I haven't been able to derive anything from the Florida Building Code, but I am a beginner at understanding that, so maybe I'm missing something.

The block are actually 7-5/8" not 8".  The extra 3/8" is the mortar joint to make the distance 8"

I try to go 10" D X 16"-18"W. 

Can't help with the code there.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Building

Thanks guys!

Is that 12" depth per best building practices, per code, per experience, per all of teh above  [cool]

MountainDon

It's the minimum depth when not having to deal with frost...  it is in the IRC someplace in chapter 4, foundations.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

R403.1.4

Per typical codes, I don't know FL, start by reviewing 403.1.1
The bottom of the footing trench is below local frost depth but never less than 12" below grade... so in FL, the bottom of the footing should be 12" below final grade. Minimum width is 12" wide, min thickness is 6". Typical width is 16" and typical thickness is 8". Reinforcement may be enhanced there.
Invest the time in reading that entire section in your code, or ask the building official, or hire a licensed contractor to do the work. FL has reason to be strict in enforcement and if you go in ignorant you may well get to learn by doing it over. You sure don't want to go there. We call for inspection when the footing trench is formed, steel installed, ready to pour.  At 12" depth I'd excavate it with a tiller and shovel.

Building

On Stemwall foundations such as this, how does one integrate the access vent to allow someone to access underneath the house?
Do you just use 1/2 blocks and build up around it?

Does anyone have a link to an example of the sorts of vents that need to be installed in stemwall on footer foundations?

Don_P

That is detailed in section R408.
Remember that if the access is on the bearing wall there will need to be a header over the access door carrying the joists. For a small door on the non bearing end the rim can carry the opening.

Building

MountainDon

The IRC, International Residential Code, as adopted by Florida, 2010... this version here.

Building

OK, so what exactly is the best site to use to look up Florida Building Code related stuff

(as an aside, Don_P, re an old post you made here, did you have a domain name actually stolen?)

MountainDon

Don_P

Quote(as an aside, Don_P, re an old post you made here, did you have a domain name actually stolen?)

Hadn't tried to access it in some time and wasn't billed for nor did I try to renew it. I just checked, it's still for sale by the same third party. The main thing I learned was not to use GoDaddy.

Building

Oh, OK so it was a domain expiration.
If you let that happen and the domain has intrinsic value (particularly older .com's), people rebuy the names and sell them. That's just how it goes. I thought it was an actual domain theft which I may have been able to help out with.

Anyway, thanks for your help thusfar. I'm sure I'll have more questions  [cool]

Don_P

Actually it was not expired, they transferred it to their ownership while it was still current and have kept the domain name parked. I simply took out a new domain name under a different service and made sure it couldn't be transferred.

Building

If so, that's domain theft.

Example of domain theft:
You own domain registered out to 2017. Suddenly, it shows up in someone elses account and your website doesn't work. Turns out that your registrar account was hacked and the domain was transfered. Domain theft.

Example of domain expiration:
You own a domain due to expire June 16th, which comes and goes with no action on your part. The domain is retained by the registrar who resells it, but the whole reason they acquired control over it in the first place is because the renewal fee wasn't paid. That is domain expiration.

If yours is a legit case of the former, I'd be very interested in hearing the details. Those are rare but they happen.

Don_P

It was a case of theft. I've rebuilt it elsewhere and have moved on.