Calling all Okanogan builders... Building an 18X28 and I have a few questions!

Started by JavaMan, March 29, 2010, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on April 07, 2010, 10:41:12 AM
Well, as I sit and think about things, I have decided that I need to build a smaller shed/cabin first (as mentioned in a different thread).  This doesn't mean that I won't be building this one, but that it may not begin for a few months - maybe towards the end of the summer, or maybe even not until next year!  But with the "practice" and knowledge I will gain from building this 12x12 shed (where I can store things, and get out of the weather if need be) the first "real" cabin should go up that much easier.

To that end, I've done some analysis and broken the project into a number of smaller parts and done some cost estimations on it

1. Foundation w/beams
2. Decking for the floor
3. Framing the walls (and sheathing on them)
4. Roofing (Rafters and Sheathing)
5. "Deck"
6. Finish work (roofing, painting, etc...)

Each piece I've estimated should cost between $200 and $400 - total cost around $1800.  All the estimated costs have been pulled from the HD website, since they are the closest "supplier" to the site.  The $1800 includes a 20-something percent fudge-factor for nails, etc...

I have no electrical or plumbing currently budgeted for this building, but that doesn't mean there won't be in the future.

So, as soon as the finance dept decides there's enough to start the foundation, work will begin!  Hooray!

Good plan!  We have a shed that we use all the time for storage and an old Camper for a bathroom, storage, cooking etc and a tent trailer for main camping space :)

Wouldn't do it any other way.

SkagitDrifter

It sounds like you have put some good thought into the plan- and as my Gramps used to say...
"Failing to plan is the same as planning to fail."
I also planned to build a storage shed but decided to raise the height of the crawl space and create a storage space below the cabin.  In the long run it cost way less money for the space I gained.  The other plus is that there are no man made structures visible from the cabin- as you look out the windows you really feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.  Just a thought.
Interesting that there are so many of us building a getaway over in that neck of the woods.
Beautiful country.

Count me in for a cold one over at the pizza joint this summer!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

JavaMan

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on April 07, 2010, 12:07:56 PM
It sounds like you have put some good thought into the plan- and as my Gramps used to say...
"Failing to plan is the same as planning to fail."
I also planned to build a storage shed but decided to raise the height of the crawl space and create a storage space below the cabin.  In the long run it cost way less money for the space I gained.  The other plus is that there are no man made structures visible from the cabin- as you look out the windows you really feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.  Just a thought.
Interesting that there are so many of us building a getaway over in that neck of the woods.
Beautiful country.

Count me in for a cold one over at the pizza joint this summer!

Funny thing, that - I am out in the middle of nowhere.  I was thinking af applying to the county for two intersecting private roads to be built on the property - naming them "Noh" and "Where" ... I could stand there and tell someone I was literally at the corner of Noh and Where  ;D

As for raising the place up - I am thinking actually of lowering the "ceiling" so that the "loft" area can have an extra foot.  But I might, since it's not really all that much more $$$ just go ahead and build the walls with 10' studs instead of 8'-ers ... it would make a nicer "attic"

It is quite interesting that there are so many of us out there.  And we'll have to have that pizza.  I just managed to alleviate some of the financial question (at least for a few weeks), so it just became more likely that I'll make it up there end of April or early May!  Yippie!  If all goes well, I'll be able to pay for the whole shed with the proceeds along with the starter the truck needs (and maybe even a new set of shoes for it!)

Beautiful (my wife) tells me we're getting a good refund from the .gov so it could turn out to be a pretty good summer after all  :)

I'm now getting a bit stoked.

icentropy

Hi guys, I was looking for information on building a cabin in okanogan county and ran across this forum and thread. Looks like i'm 4 years late to the party but wanted to bring this thread back from the dead. I've been up here in the highlands of okanogan county for about 2 years now. Any of you guys still around? :D

OlJarhead

I'm still here ;)  Living in my cabin now as I took a job over here.

Java pops in once in a while but he's not doing much with his place right now.

One of the members bought the store out here and a house on 20 acres and still has the place they were building on.

Yonderosa is around but doesn't pop in as much

I think the others are here still but it's been a cold winter, perhaps they will pickup this spring now that things are warmer

icentropy

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 10, 2014, 07:34:45 AM
I'm still here ;)  Living in my cabin now as I took a job over here.

Java pops in once in a while but he's not doing much with his place right now.

One of the members bought the store out here and a house on 20 acres and still has the place they were building on.

Yonderosa is around but doesn't pop in as much

I think the others are here still but it's been a cold winter, perhaps they will pickup this spring now that things are warmer

Cold winter? Didn't feel like it to much. I missed the snow of last year. Which store? We're getting ready to start building something. Not sure what yet as we have plans for a cabin, house, root cellar, etc so it kinda depends on the next few weeks of money making if we start a bigger or smaller project.

SkagitDrifter

I'm still kickin'.  Got my place pretty much done- a few small things still need doing. 
We have been enjoying the fruits of our labor.
Heading over to turkey hunt next weekend.
Good luck on your project.
T
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

icentropy

SkagitDrifter

Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Aeneas Valley hit -20F this winter ;)

Aeneas Valley General Store is actually owned by a forum member now.

icentropy

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 14, 2014, 01:48:08 PM
Aeneas Valley hit -20F this winter ;)

Aeneas Valley General Store is actually owned by a forum member now.

We got to -20F this winter but only at night and only once or twice. most of the time it was ok. I missed the snow we had last winter though. this winter was not very pretty. They didn't even open Sitzmark Ski hill. Hopefully we'll get some good rain to make up for it.

OlJarhead

I didn't miss the snow! lol But then I live there so I see it when it's there.

pinecheegal

Hi Everyone. I am in Skagit County and my husband and I bought a place in Pine chee out near chesaw. We want to retire in this area and plan to put something expandable on the property. We have a small cabin already there and fairly new its very small around 5x12. Why this size I am not sure. We do not have a well or water source yet plan on digging this next spring and see what we find. Please share any info on permits or not that you have learned in the past few years. Any and all info would be appreciated. Honestly I do not want the county up to our property, But I do not want fines either. Help if you can. Thank you, Heidi

icentropy

Welcome to the area. we're neighbors! (well in as much as the locals call anyone on "the hill" a neighbor. we're between havillah and chesaw. It's a beautiful area. We're from Socal originally but have been here going on 5 years now and have learned a lot. any questions feel free to ask.

pinecheegal48

I finally gave up on my old name and password. d* I can't wait to get out of here and move over to our place in Pinechee. I have never done well with the rain and this year has been pretty bad. Although I know it has hit over there also.
I am stressing a bit about codes over there. I honestly am thinking about putting a small storage shed there and insulating it and call it home. We already have the super small "cabin". We have wind and solar already to put up. No power to the property although I think we will need a well. Going to go over in a couple weeks to see if there is a spring or seep to develope. We have spring water here on the rainy side. I just want to read what people are doing there that the county won't be all up in our business.

Mike10gs

Hi good morning, is there anyone still active on here. 
My family bought some acres(40) in the pateros area. Just wanting some info on what is still doable as we are struggling figuring out codes/law. 
We are in process of trying to get the ok on building my parents home. Waiting on city or ecologist to see if the water well we have is ok to use. But there is also a frost free hydrant that we don't really know where it's connected to. 
Built a shed but getting mixed emails from the city that I do need permit if I'm doing an electric or plumbing. But then I ask if I want to put electricity only no plumbing I still need a permit?
They said no its ok to build a shed with light and I don't need a permit. 

Our goal is to build a few cabins (12x16 or 10x 20)that family can stay in while we visit our parents, and possibly rent out while not in use. Not alot just every now and then. 
Anyone around doing this or have done this?

Very excited that my family has land. It is so beautiful here. They have been here 1 year now but still having trouble figuring out what we can and can't do. 

OlJarhead

Yup some of us are still around ;)

Not sure I want to comment on permitting ;)

I went through that goat rope 14+ years ago when we first bought there and they were insane (destroy the well if you put in composting toilet but not if you put in a privy, put in a grey water drain but only if you put in an approved septic tank for a 1500 square foot home etc etc...

Let's just say I went with the neighborhoods advice and my taxes were raised later.

If you are in the city limits or close to it, that's one thing.  In your area I'd check with the locals around you -- are they all up to code? (if further out I'd doubt it).

Lot of pics are missing in my thread as over the years the various picture hosting services changed, charged or died LOL but there is a ton there without them and now I post videos instead ;)

Cheers and welcome to the board -- there are some of us still here now and then :D

Mike10gs

Quote from: OlJarhead on October 13, 2023, 02:06:01 PMYup some of us are still around ;)

Not sure I want to comment on permitting ;)

I went through that goat rope 14+ years ago when we first bought there and they were insane (destroy the well if you put in composting toilet but not if you put in a privy, put in a grey water drain but only if you put in an approved septic tank for a 1500 square foot home etc etc...

Let's just say I went with the neighborhoods advice and my taxes were raised later.

If you are in the city limits or close to it, that's one thing.  In your area I'd check with the locals around you -- are they all up to code? (if further out I'd doubt it).

Lot of pics are missing in my thread as over the years the various picture hosting services changed, charged or died LOL but there is a ton there without them and now I post videos instead ;)

Cheers and welcome to the board -- there are some of us still here now and then :D
Yes we are going through that now. But we have to figure out our well. Today I started to follow the pipe for frost free hydrant to see what it's connected to. Digging 3ft to 4 ft holes trying to follow has me beat. Lol
I am not all the way back. Maybe 5 min up the hill by the orchid farms. 
Thank you for your response. 

OlJarhead

Come over to my thread ;) so we don't post here -- there are ways to locate water pipe that area easier ;)