Vinyl or Hardie Panel?

Started by retiredmarine, January 25, 2019, 05:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredmarine

MountainDon

I like the Hardie cement fiber lap siding. We have sheds built with the 4x8 Hardie panels but I like the appearance of lap siding way more than the vertical fake panels.

Vinyl may have the advantage of probably never needing paint but it melts in high heat and we have to be aware of wildfires.  We have Hardie lap siding, soffits and facia. The Hardie we painted about 9 years ago still looks great. We used top notch paint.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

retiredmarine

My current plan is Hardie panel for the first 3 feet with board and baton then lap siding the rest of the way. But the cost and time to install vinyl got me thinking. Not to mention no painting!

Don_P

If you buy the expensive vinyl they'll write your name on the backside so you get it back after the wind blows  :)

MushCreek

I like fiber cement lap siding. I got a deal on Nichiha (like Hardi) when Lowes was clearing it out for 25 cents on the dollar. I got a whole pallet for less than $500! It is more work to install, though. I created a drainage plane out of 1/2" PT plywood strips. I pre-painted each plank prior to installing, then put a second coat on when finished. I figured if they shifted at all, you would be able to see the unpainted portion. Lots of extra work, but the contractor (me) works for free. I did Hardi board and batten for the gable ends. Vinyl would have been less maintenance, but I'm very fussy about the exterior colors of the house. It took us a long time to settle on a color theme. Our house is a deep gray-green with tan trim and deep red accents. I'd attach a picture if i knew how!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

retiredmarine

Quote from: Don_P on January 25, 2019, 10:45:35 PM
If you buy the expensive vinyl they'll write your name on the backside so you get it back after the wind blows  :)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dave Sparks

There are other brands of fiber cement other than hardie also.

I talked with some painters and they said no matter how you nail it, it can have problems in places with big temperature swings. Don help me find a good solution to the cracks and it has worked well. The acrylic semi gloss latex lasted 12 years but the new coat of elastomeric is suppose to go 20 years.
"we go where the power lines don't"

Adam Roby

We don't have hardie board in our area (that I know of) for exterior use.  Vinyl siding is fairly common, and we have massive temperature swings (-35 to 5 C this week alone).  If not installed properly, it can indeed blow off, but that's the same with roofing shingles.  You need to follow the manufacturer's instructions, and hiring a "pro" doesn't always mean the job will be well done (speed often offsets the quality).   

akwoodchuck

Quote from: Don_P on January 25, 2019, 10:45:35 PM

Ha! .....about a decade ago, a friend asked me to put up the new hardie plank siding on his house....I said "you bet, forty an hour"...
....he found somebody to do it for ten, a bunch of the pieces have blown off since then.... ;D
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

DaveOrr

Hardie plank siding on my cabin.
Pros: fire proof, low maintenance, looks awesome.
Cons: cost, weight, harder to work with, must seal cuts.
Was hard work hauling out to my property. 9 mile ice road and then 1/2 mile back and forth to the cabin with the snowmobile.

Dave's Arctic Cabin: www.anglersparadise.ca

retiredmarine

That's a great looking cabin!

Nate R

Quote from: DaveOrr on January 26, 2019, 09:59:18 PM
Hardie plank siding on my cabin.

Looks great Dave! What reveal is that? 5"?

DaveOrr

Quote from: retiredmarine on January 26, 2019, 10:00:48 PM
That's a great looking cabin!

Thanks!!!   :)
I'm very happy with how it's turning out. I've been pretty impressed at how much I've been able to accomplish solo.
The only time I've really had help was during the installation of the windows and a little help here and there when hauling out materials.
The build has taken it's tole on my back though, so I won't be building any more cabins solo.  ;)

DaveOrr

Quote from: Nate R on January 26, 2019, 10:06:12 PM
Looks great Dave! What reveal is that? 5"?

7" reveal, 8 1/4" boards Nate.