Hows the weather?

Started by astidham, September 28, 2010, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Mt Don - Do you have a Snotel site close to your cabin  http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/New_Mexico/new_mexico.html

Anyone else do a search include State and Snotel.  You should bring up a link with a state map and where they are located.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Not wishing you any bad weather or anything but I am glad everyone else is getting their fair share.  For us it has been a relatively good fall ( Did we have one or just jump into winter?)  You can keep it out your way Don because it is way too early to start with that stuff.  But it looks like we might get something this evening and tomarrow.  Oh Yeah don't forget to get a bag of calcium or salt for the steps. ;)

MountainDon

No Rick, the Snotel sites are a little further north of us. We do have a remote weather station just off the highway about 4 miles away from our property though. It's good for wind, temps, sun, fuelwood moisture, rain and so on. It doesn't "do" snow depths though. It will record the moisture though but there is a delay as the catchment is not heated. So when it's freezing the snow collects and then may melt several days or more later.   Better than nothing though.

MesoWest JESN5

They too have sites across the country. Start here...
MesoWest States Map

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Doesn't look like much, but the road is slippery.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

webcams too can be used

I have one at the resort 1/2 a mile from my cabin site- and then another at 10,000ft above and 2 miles to the west

I love sitting here in Colombia and being able to check out the weather at my property 1000's of miles away

http://www.powderhorn.com/cams/update.html
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/?n=nexrad

Counting down to the 18th for Christmas on the hill in the little pikey caravan !

rick91351

Strange as it might seem our SnoTel site does not do snow.  Does total moisture.  This is done via a bladder that displaces liquid that is measured and weighed, calculated from what I understand.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Idaho/idaho.html 

If you open that link.  Find Boise the first two red dots east of Boise one is Prairie where the ranch is located.  The other dot is Trinity a large mountain above Prairie.  High alpine lakes, trees and big snows.  (Well not right now.)

Of you go south of Boise that there are three dots grouped together.  Mud Flat, South Mountain, and Reynolds Creek.  Member Mike on Bike has his project going close to Mud Flat.  (Do not let the name fool you.)  That is the Owyhee Mountain country down there.  That is an area of fascinating geology, wildlife, history and huge ranches.

UK4X4 we are a little shy on web cams and fancy accouterments up this way.  I might buy one and install it up there when we move up there, or put it over at the store.  A network of them in house and out building would certainly keep the thieves away if they did not steal all the equipment.   :-[   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

[cool]  Rick.    In northern NM there is some service that does do snow depths. I'm pretty sure there is one near NM_Shooter up near Chama. At the Chama RR bridge IIRC. Must be another service.

UK4X4

"A network of them in house and out building would certainly keep the thieves away if they did not steal all the equipment."

I'm only 5 mins from the ski resort and an hour from civilisation so theft is a worry where I am too

I have presently 2 hunting cams 14ft up in the aspens with python locks -hitch lock-wheel locks and all 6 wheels locked too each other as well.

really only have to worry in the summer when the grounds hard enough to drive it out though.

Down the line I think I'll try a permenant webcam-

astidham

looks like Christmas in the Tulsa area will be sunny and 51.. 8) guess we will see if it happens
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

peternap

It's HOT!
This is Christmas week. We should have snow and ice.
This has to be the Government's doing. >:(

62F Thunder Storms ???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Redoverfarm

A baumy 10F here in the Mountain state this morning.  2" of snowfall the other night is still here ( 8" at the ski resort).  Yesterday's high was 18F. 

peternap

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 04, 2012, 07:41:27 AM
A baumy 10F here in the Mountain state this morning.  2" of snowfall the other night is still here ( 8" at the ski resort).  Yesterday's high was 18F.

No snow but a comfy 19 degrees. The stove is loving it!
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Rob_O

High of 56 today, high in the lower 30's for the weekend  :(

I'm ready for Spring
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

considerations

High 20's (F) at night - Mid 30's during the day.  Clear.  Means the hoses stay frozen as well as any frost on the ground, and ice crystals ooze up out of the mud in clumps of little columns, like transparent mushrooms.

rick91351

Boise Valley actually had a little snow yesterday.  Getting chilly again. 

Quote from: Rob_O on January 11, 2012, 12:40:55 AM
High of 56 today, high in the lower 30's for the weekend  :(

I'm ready for Spring

Sorry man I can not agree, we need a lot of snow in the mountains here.  It has still not done anything................

Hey Glenn and Sassy send some storms up this way.  Considerations, you all up that way could help out a little as well........ 

kenhill

Today...Cloudy. Isolated snow showers. Highs in the upper 20s to upper 30s. Southeast wind 5 to 15 mph. Gusts to 30 mph over west anchorage in the morning. Along turnagain arm and higher elevations...southeast wind 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Tonight...A chance of snow in the evening...then steady snow developing by midnight. Snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Lows 15 to 20. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight. Along turnagain arm and higher elevations...southeast wind 15 to 35 mph becoming northwest 15 mph after midnight.

Thursday...Snow. Snow accumulation 5 to 10 inches. Storm total snow accumulation 9 to 18 inches. Highs in the lower to mid 20s. Variable wind 10 mph.

Redoverfarm

A little more of winter this morning. 2" of new snow, temperature 20F (40F last night), wind 20-30 MPH with gust of 50MPH. This will be the trend for the next couple days as we are caught by the artic blast from the west.  But it could be worse like in Alaska with 15-18 FEET of snow. ;D

rick91351

My part of Idaho still plenty cold but again no snow!  Looks as if we may get a storm next week!!   

Rob_O

It's the middle of January, it's Midnight, and it's 60 degrees here in Louisville  ???

rick91351

Hey everybody do the Snoopy snow dance.  Idaho may just may get some snow this week!!!  We really need it!!!   

Rob_O

Gary O

The Cascades are filling with snow (and that's r-e-a-l good), but here in the Well-I'm-wet valley, we've been getting slosh, or rain mixed with snow, or what I call snain.
In normal parts of the country, snow comes down all fluffy, and even drivers of trucks will gaze upon the freshly laid blanket with awe and wonder.
Snain, when it sticks, is immediate slosh.
So, for the third morning in a row, I've woke up to snain, but still have a bit of awe, as in 'awe, sh^t'.....
S'mornin' I zipped past a semi on I-205 (curvy, dippy, non-supered, engineering marvel of a stretch of hwy), and just as I was along side the big fella we ran into a nice patch of standing water. 'Course, nine of his eighteen wheels did that 'Hey, I'm in a car wash' thing to my Wrangler, as I crabbed thru the mini lake, doing my best to keep rubber side down, and waiting patiently for restored visibility....while screaming to the beat of Led Zeppelin.
Yeah, gonna say it was about a 8.9 on the pucker scale, as when I came back to my office from making coffee, I noticed bits of foam from the torn Jeep seat in my chair....and it ain't even 6 am yet.
Gonna be a fun day, yes indeedy, a fun day.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

rick91351

You need to turn around and do the mini lakes up in the Columbia River Gorge,  Best I have found is Lake Bridal Veil followed by the always exciting Scream of Death Lake comboed with the zephyr winds just before The Dalles.  Now that is fun well exciting and I have done it on vacation!  And to think people pay good money to go to Disneyland. 

Please do the snow dance for Idaho.  Last night showed we were going to get 8.5 inches.  This morning none on the ground and the prediction has been dropped to 2.5 inches.  However the mountains look as if they will get a couple feet.   

Gary O

Yeah, The Gorge is always a fun run.
Truckers just love it in winter.

Boy, we sure need some accumulation down at the cabin.
Chemult canceled their sled races this year....usually snow is measured in feet by now.
Still seein' pavement thru town.
But snow's a comin'
10 day fcst is snow ever' day and temps to accommodate.
Yeeehaw!
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

curlewdave

We're down in Southwest Washington, near a town called Pe Ell...Since 10 last night we've picked up 18" of snow, and still coming down.  Hope everyone's roofs are stout!