Building a severely simple house!!!

Started by 1201, February 22, 2020, 05:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

Batten, board and battegot it spelled right this time!!

Don_P

There's almost always qualifiers it seems like. Watch the dimensions of the framing members as spans change as well.

paul s

Batten, is a better spelling

I think 2x6 floor joists, studs cut so 8 foot plywood goes to of top of the top plate to bottom of floor joist, makes plywood siding simple, but gives 88 inch ceiling height

Nice open floor to fabricate roof trusses, 5/ 12 pitch,  really 22.5 degrees,  make cutting easy
Wide eaves built into trusses

Adjust eaves for easy plywood application, 8, 10, 12. 14 ft pliss gap for ridge vent!!!!

paul s

Batten, is a better spelling

I think 2x6 floor joists, studs cut so 8 foot plywood goes to of top of the top plate to bottom of floor joist, makes plywood siding simple, but gives 88 inch ceiling height

Nice open floor to fabricate roof trusses, 5/ 12 pitch,  really 22.5 degrees,  make cutting easy
Wide eaves built into trusses

Adjust eaves for easy plywood application, 8, 10, 12. 14 ft pliss gap for ridge vent!!!!

Don_P

There is where I was going with things to think through. a 2x6 floor joist spans around 8' so there would need to ba rows of girders and footings at those intervals, a 2x12 can span around 16' so that is one way to hop over that pier and beam cost at the expense of larger joists. And then I've been up to about 24' clear span on engineered joists, just more stuff to mull over.

akwoodchuck

You can get T-111 siding in longer lengths than just 8' too....
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

Great discussion guys.

88 inch cooling height is way too low.

I'm looking at minimum 9 ft ceiling height.

Thanks akwoodchuck.i was wondering if t 1 11 is available at longer heights. Good to know it is. I'm revisiting it as an option just because it saves a step. Anything that saves labor should be looked at.

Dave Sparks

I have done the solar power systems on over 250 offgrid homes around the planet. Many are like the folks asking here for ideas.

My top 3 for advice.

#1 Build something that is marketable. People want a minimum 3bd  2ba or the ability to do that later. Expandable needs to be thought out on a smaller than normal design.

#2 Build something that is not overly expensive if you ever want to recoup. Stay in the median price range. Offgrid homes can be hard to get loans on and to sell.

#3 Build something that is legal and meets the norm for your location. If it is not inspected take pictures of each stage.
"we go where the power lines don't"

paul s

Re: Just how straight is kiln dried lumber?

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:49:46 PM »

QuoteModifyRemove

Some good thinking, I am now looking at off grid properties, and am thinking of building a 12x36 shed roof 'cabin'.

I want rodent proof floor.  So... double the bottom wall plate, floor is joists and 3/4 " plywood.  On top of floor is laid 3/4" rigid foam insulation,  on top of that another 3/4" layer of plywood.not a big r  value but a continuous  one.  Thoughts on this please.

Ty

Paul

Btw 3 great things above

paul s

Dave sparks, soo good those three, I will keep them in mind, 
I went to school, SUNY @ Buffalo, 1976, industrial engineering, likely not  you, Paul S