(another) Eastern Washington little building started

Started by Yonderosa, October 20, 2008, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasdair

Great job on .. everything! Looks fantastic. Well done :)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Yonderosa on October 02, 2009, 10:43:27 AM
Skagit,
The plywood walls will be covered.  It is mainly a nailing substrate for the random width rough sawn D-fir I plan to install vertically on the walls.  The exact pattern has not been decided but it ill likely be floor to ceiling on the tall wall behind me in the picture and the big window wall will likely be to a wainscot if I can figure out what to do above it.  The other walls are mostly covered with cabinets.  The ceiling will get T&G pine.

The sanding and finish will be further down the road.  I have a generator that will run the sander.  Finish hasn't been decided yet.

The shingles are for the gable ends.  I had planned to get them done this year but the wife decided I would finish the inside first so the progress on the outside has been stalled for now.

You might consider buying a roll of rosin paper (36" X150') for about $12 and cover the hardwood floors until you get the chance to finish them.  Just a thought. 

Yonderosa

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

SkagitDrifter

Mo-
I'm having e-mail issues-
Spent the last two hours trying to fix it.
I'll get it fixed and be in touch.
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

A few highlights from our October visit.

It was COLD outside!  About 20 degrees colder than normal for this time of year.

It was nice and cozy inside.  We'd run the portable heater for about an hour, longer and it would get too warm, and it would stay nice and toasty for 4 or 5 hours with a 40+ degree temperature differential.  We were pleased with how well it held the heat and it was good practice for our upcoming winter visits.

This trip I finished the window and door trims

The plan is to cover the plywood with rough sawn Douglas Fir board  (also considering SkagitDrifter's T&G option, just need to get a chance to get up there and look at what he has in stock).

I also hauled over another wall cabinet and a dresser I built.  Almost half done now with the cabinets...  ;)  Still have two more wall cabinets to build, two base cabinets, a book shelf for over the dresser and a full height "closet" cabinet that goes between the Murphy bed and the dresser.

Sunday morning while I was eating breakfast this dude strolled by.  The flash on the window washed out most of the picture but you can still see a nice looking kitty cat just outside the cabin.

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

MountainDon

That is a tad chilly.  ;D

The interior is starting to look like a real home now. The cabinets are nice; more storage space with full to ceiling height. 

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Nice fish!  Were you creek fishing?  The River?  A Lake?  My son and I love to fish -- in fact, we ought to do a BBQ or something since we're almost neighbors! ;)

Yonderosa

That dude was from the lake up the hill from me.  There is a lot of good lake fishing, especially in May when the lakes are finally free of ice.  For skinny water I like the Methow but with all the closures I haven't had the chance in recent years.

With so many of us in the general area we'll have to do some sort Country Plan rendezvous.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on October 13, 2009, 12:52:07 PM
That dude was from the lake up the hill from me.  There is a lot of good lake fishing, especially in May when the lakes are finally free of ice.  For skinny water I like the Methow but with all the closures I haven't had the chance in recent years.

With so many of us in the general area we'll have to do some sort Country Plan rendezvous.

My son will love to try the lake out -- specially if we can put a canoe on it :)

We'll be up this weekend for Deer -- and maybe to get some work done around the place -- with all the rain I'd like to burn some dead wood too!

Yonderosa

just back from a quick over there, deliver, install and get home trip - though I did do a little Grouse hunting...  ;D

The cabinets are mostly done - still have one more base and two more wall cabinets to go... need to do countertops (most likely P-lam, probably not until next spring) and install the sink (cabinet below window), plus a few other this and thats.  It is functional now, including the range, and convenience is much improved.  Very cool to be able to cook home-style and have a place to store things.

image hosting by http://www.myhostedpics.com/
Woke up to an amazing moon-set.  

Weather permitting I'm hoping for another trip or two over this year.  Had snow on the on the road at Washington Pass today.  With any luck I can get another cabinet or three built and get back over in a week or so before winter really hits.

While the snow can make travel difficult, it sure is pretty.

MountainDon

Nice mountains. How much snow in an average winter? Is that pass kept open?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

The cabinets are looking great. I just made my last trip for the year.
I almost stopped to take a picture of that peak this last weekend. It sure did look cold!

MountainDon, That pass will close soon until next may.
Home is where you make it

John Raabe

I would guess that the photo is of the North Cascades Highway.

This one is not as nice as the ones above.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

speedfunk

Wow...That's Amazing..looks like a place I'd love to see closer.

Nice Pic

diyfrank

Home is where you make it

SkagitDrifter

Hey Yonder-
Looking good.
Could you tell me more about the range and sink install.
Where did you find that cool range?
Does the range run off of a portable propane tank?
Is it vented?
How bout the water/drain?
Did you put in a drain field?  A well?
As always, nice work.  You're closing in on finishing her up.
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

Found the range at Sears.  Ameri-gas in town had the Regulator and connections I needed for a portable propane.

No plumbing, the sink will drain into a bucket inside the base cabinet.

For now we're hauling water and "going old school" so to speak.

OlJarhead

How high up are you?  I'm at 3100' (roughly) and dodged the snow this weekend but ran into it in the mountains around 4500 feet.

Anyway, I'll be up again this weekend I think

MountainDon

Quote from: Yonderosa on November 07, 2009, 09:53:48 PM
Found the range at Sears. 

I found 20 inch wide gas ranges could be special ordered at both my HD and Lowe's. We got ours at Lowe's. Nice spacesaver in a small cabin.

Yonderosa

We made it over for a weekend visit.  No work, just relaxation.

It was cold outside, -1F this morning, saw -2 on the way down the Mountain.

Inside it was nice and toasty.  Once up to room temperature the low setting on our Mr. Heater "Big Buddy" kept it very comfortable.  It was very enjoyable reading, eating and venturing out for walks, watching the shooting stars...  

The weather service scared us into leaving early this morning with a winter storm warning.  Still we're very glad to get two days+ and two enjoyable nights this time of year.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

Nice job but let's get that weather warmed up a bit.  Crimoney.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

OlJarhead

I'm dying to get up there myself since it's been what?  A week and a half! ahahah

OK, I need to find out why No.1 is missing on the Road Warrior but then I'm back right after Christmas in hopes the tarped roof held!

Yonderosa

Just got back from a very enjoyable extended weekend trip to the Yonderosa.  Mix of weather, snow, rain, sun, wind...  Spring is just starting to take hold.  Not many critters out and about, a few Deer, a Moose and a small black Bear, I was hoping to see some Turkeys but didn't see any sign of them.  The Grouse are drumming and the Robins are still flocked.

Didn't get a lot done but did start on the interior wall finish.

Beautiful and quiet.  Loved every second of it.

Kirby Creek

Wainscot and Window trim