(another) Eastern Washington little building started

Started by Yonderosa, October 20, 2008, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodSprite

Yikes!  Yonderosa, I'm so glad the damage at your place was so limited.  Let's hear it for great neighbors.

Sorry to go off on a tangent on your project thread, but could I ask about what I see at the base of that fir, it that's what it is?  In your second photo?  Is that a dry scorch mark, or is it turning gummy?

We have a huge oak that suddenly seems to have sprouted a black, gummy patch right at the base like that.  It's very small - about six inches by three - but it scares me to death, since it's inside the log fence we just built to enclose the garden, and if the tree goes down, it's going to be bad.  I know for a fact that it wasn't there a month ago. It never occurred to me that it might be a lightning strike, and I frankly doubt whether it is.  Just wondered...

What a beautiful place you've got.  Thanks so much for posting your inspiring photos. I just love the treatment you've done on the soffits.
The Chronicle of Upper Tupper
This place was made by doing impractical things we could not afford at the wrong time of year.   -Henry Mitchell

Yonderosa

Crazy weather indeed. Had some flooding down at the creek too.  A neighbor lost a big chunk of his driveway. I guess it was a lot cooler there than here lately.  I'm hoping to get back soon and install some more cabinets I'm building.  September I'll try to make another good push.

woodsprite, Its a mystery to me too.  Next time I head over I'll take a closer look.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

poppy

Thanks for the wildlife report.  We have coyotes in this part of the country also, but I haven't seen any around my place; probably too many dogs running loose.

We have reported cougar sightings too, but not close to me.  There are a handfull of black bear, but again I haven't seen any.

We have plenty of deer and turkey though.

Yonderosa

Just back from our most recent visit.  The weather was AMAZING - more Indian Summer than Fall.  I didn't get as much done as I had hoped - hurt my back on the third day, major bummer. 

I did get the screen door installed.  Its the roll up type, bought it at Home Depot ( http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windows-Doors-Exterior-Doors-Screen-Doors/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8Zbaed/R-100656621/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 ) and so far it has been Labrador and bug proof.  Easy to install and looks good too. 

We also hauled over and installed the Murphy Bed, I like that a lot too.  I built it using the Create-a-bed hardware and it works as advertised.  The directions are good and the construction very simple.  Might try to jazz it up more if I had it to do over - the rush to get it over there before the weather limited the time I had to do it.

Comfortable and functional. 

Picked up some cabinet hardware at Cabelas

Wolf Track double post. 

Had to replace a post that had warped on the front porch.  It went smoothly despite having to pull up some decking and framing hardware.  I've found that any lumber that isn't dry enough or firmly anchored in multiple directions will twist-warp into some pretty amazing shapes in relatively short spans.  Fasten it securely or bundle it tight or end up with a bunch of wood better suited to build Viking ships.

Ate well, slept well, saw a bunch of critters.  More proof that life is good.

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

poppy

Nice job on the bed.  How much wall space does it take up?

Didn't know that Cabelas had hardware; looks good.

Yonderosa

The bed (full size) takes up ~5' of wall, projects out ~16" and is ~7' tall.

SkagitDrifter

I was wondering about you...

I love the Murphy Bed- Great job.
Did you get any more cabinets built / installed? Got Pics?

Right you are- Indian summer has been beautiful over there, almost too nice- When I'm there I never want to come home.
Everything looks great on your project- nicely done.
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

Tom,
I've got a few more cabinets almost ready to haul over there.  Space and time are the big limitations.  The next priority will be the floor - which we're still undecided about...  As practical and inexpensive as vinyl is I just can't quite get onboard with it.

I hear you, we left yesterday - reluctantly.  The weather was amazing while we were there.  My sister and brother-in-law have a place near Bonaparte and they shared some Bear backstraps with us that they harvested on their property early last week.  Fine eats!  Tough to come back to beef under cellophane after meals like that.  I just heard my sister tagged some venison too...  I wish I treated her better when we were kids... ;) :) d*

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on September 17, 2009, 12:46:05 PM
Did you get any more cabinets built / installed? Got Pics?

Right you are- Indian summer has been beautiful over there, almost too nice- When I'm there I never want to come home.
Everything looks great on your project- nicely done.
Tom

SkagitDrifter

If you use vinyl on that place I'll have to hurt you!

How much flooring do you need?
I just got a smoking deal on some VG Doug Fir 1x4 T&G flooring.
I think I may have quite a bit more than I need for my project.
Let me know if you may be intrested and I'll see what I have into it.
Maybe we could work something out. 
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Redoverfarm

Quote from: SkagitDrifter on September 17, 2009, 01:46:27 PM
If you use vinyl on that place I'll have to hurt you!

I'll second that.  Look around.  I bought Brazilian Cherry pre-finished for my cabin at $2 SF.  A lot of options available.  To get a decent grade of vinyle you will be paying that much anyway. 

Yonderosa

If it looks like you have enough extra (~200sf) let me know how much you need to take it off your hands.  I'll have to do some convincing with the wife (now officially the boss of this job).  She wants practical...

SkagitDrifter

Just did a count...
I have enough extra to do about 100 square feet- about 400 lin. feet.  I thought there was more in that pack.  I'm into it for $.45 per lin foot - Its nice tight vertical grain, 3-1/8" net face- yours if you want it.
Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

Screaming good deal Tom.  I'll try to talk to the wife into it and see if I can locate some more.  Where did you find it?

Redoverfarm

Yonderosa I just saw an add for Lumber Liquidators that they had prefinsihed flooring (hardwood) from $1.40-2.00.  If you have one in your area they sometimes have smaller quanities or less that a buck a foot.

emcvay

Very nice and cool :)

Did you get the 60 day occupancy permit and the standard $600 Okanogan building permit?  I ask only becuase they've really infuriated me...(I'll leave it at that)...

I used to live on the coast (it's been a while) and spent years just inland (Portland and others) but now live in the desert and also bought 20 acres in your area :)  We're between Tonasket and Republic :)

Yonderosa

Red, Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out.

emcvay- I told them what I wanted to do and they told me how much to pay and where.  Actually they were quite helpful but it does seem overly complex.  A friend had some issues because he had a drilled well, even though it was capped and he was not pumping water out of it, he had to put in a septic system to get a building permit...  Delayed his project for a while.

I've got a couple of good friends out your way, one up near Bonaparte and the other off 20 a bit.  I've met a lot of good folk out there, even some of the transplants from the coast are alright.   ;) 

emcvay

Quote from: Yonderosa on September 21, 2009, 09:49:05 PM
Red, Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it out.

emcvay- I told them what I wanted to do and they told me how much to pay and where.  Actually they were quite helpful but it does seem overly complex.  A friend had some issues because he had a drilled well, even though it was capped and he was not pumping water out of it, he had to put in a septic system to get a building permit...  Delayed his project for a while.

I've got a couple of good friends out your way, one up near Bonaparte and the other off 20 a bit.  I've met a lot of good folk out there, even some of the transplants from the coast are alright.   ;) 

Yes the well throws them for a loop -- and I will use mine (why waste it?) the problem I have is spending $8k on something I won't use and that will then go sour and have a plugged drain field so that if I were to try to sell I'd have to then fix it (for nearly as much)...and the terrain is prohibitive at best -- but the county doesn't like the idea of someone trying to do things different then their regs.

Maybe it's just me...I guess I could just send in the 60 day and ignore the well...but then the $600 permit for a 400 sq foot cabin irks me too....I can build 200 sq feet here - twice -- without a permit.

On a side note, and so it might make more sense, I permitted, designed and built a 590 sq foot addition to my home in the last 5 years.  I went through all the correct steps and even got some stuff someone else did approved.  It's all above board and I had no problem with it.  I am having an issue, however, with this nonsense about a small hunting/vacation cabin in an area where clearly very few bother....it's just me maybe ;)

Yonderosa

emcvay: Is it 200 sf now?  It was 120 sf.

I believe the well restriction is a statewide regulation - I've encountered it in other counties too.  Of the counties I've worked with Okanogan is really pretty good.  I started to avoid (whenever possible) doing any work in King county in the late 80s because of the extreme time delays and costs that government was adding to the projects.  I have one project in Seattle right now  :-\ and bureaucracy has at least doubled the time it took to get the permit (comparatively) and conservatively added 20% to the cost when comparing fees, regulations and increased cost of materials and labor - I can get concrete delivered to the boondocks of Okanogan less expensively than I can within Seattle city limits.  Of course in Seattle one needs to make about double the average income just to qualify for a loan to buy what they define as an "affordable" home... I better quit now, I feel my BP rising and a long rant coming on...

emcvay

Quote from: Yonderosa on September 22, 2009, 09:00:56 AM
emcvay: Is it 200 sf now?  It was 120 sf.

I believe the well restriction is a statewide regulation - I've encountered it in other counties too.  Of the counties I've worked with Okanogan is really pretty good.  I started to avoid (whenever possible) doing any work in King county in the late 80s because of the extreme time delays and costs that government was adding to the projects.  I have one project in Seattle right now  :-\ and bureaucracy has at least doubled the time it took to get the permit (comparatively) and conservatively added 20% to the cost when comparing fees, regulations and increased cost of materials and labor - I can get concrete delivered less expensively to the boondocks of Okanogan less expensively than I can within Seattle city limits.  Of course in Seattle one needs to make about double the average income just to qualify for a loan to buy what they define as an "affordable" home... I better quite now, I feel my BP rising and a long rant coming on...

I spent hours trying to understand the state WAC's and quite honestly, nothing is really clear.  Typical WA State though.

My wife used to run a home daycare -- what a nightmare!  She couldn't have toothpaste in the bathroom or shampoo in the shower or she'd get dinged.  Eventually it was too much and it all came to a head -- she quit.  The state Gestapo are too much sometimes and the lies and interpretations of their 'law' leave something to be desired.

If I get worried i think I'll just put bigger rocks in my easement and make it even tougher to get there! :P

Yonderosa

Took Redoverfarm's advice and found a Lumber Liquidators ~ an hour from me.  They had some select red oak for under $2 a foot and decided that would probably do.

I also got a start on the Window trims.  I used the D-fir I got from Whidbey Island and milled it up in my shop.  Eleven pieces per window. 

I'll start hauling more cabinets over every trip as I get them built. 

To achieve a more rustic look I did my best to incorporate the defects in the stock I had.

MountainDon

Nice work on the flooring! I love red oak.

Cabinetry looks very nice as well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

SkagitDrifter

Nice job Yonder-
I love the cabinets.
Do you plan to cover the plywood walls?
Will you sand and finish the oak?
With only a generator for power, can you run a standard floor sander?
What kind of finish?  Traditional or water-based?
I see a box of Miller Shingles- I don't remember seeing shingles on your place...
-maybe in the Gable, over the covered porch?
The place looks great.  Sorry for all the questions but I'm getting close to the same stage as you on my project- I'm trying to figure a few things out.
All the best!

Tom
Abraham Lincoln

Yonderosa

Skagit,
The plywood walls will be covered.  It is mainly a nailing substrate for the random width rough sawn D-fir I plan to install vertically on the walls.  The exact pattern has not been decided but it will likely be floor to ceiling on the tall wall behind me in the picture and the big window wall will likely be to a wainscot if I can figure out what to do above it.  The other walls are mostly covered with cabinets.  The ceiling will get T&G pine.

The sanding and finish will be further down the road.  I have a generator that will run the sander.  Finish hasn't been decided yet.

The shingles are for the gable ends.  I had planned to get them done this year but the wife decided I would finish the inside first so the progress on the outside has been stalled for now.

SkagitDrifter

Any intrest in a D grade clear Doug Fir T&G, Kiln Dried 1x6.
Unlike the flooring,this time I have a mountain of the stuff.
Maybe 3-4k feet more than I need.  I'm into it for $.29 lf.
Just a thought...
Tom
Abraham Lincoln