Windows 10 Forced Upgrade to Win7, 8, and 8.1

Started by hpinson, May 24, 2016, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

For those of you running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you may want to strongly consider taking measures to prevent Microsoft from pushing Windows 10 to your computer without your consent.  This is real and happening to a lot of PCs as I write this on 5/24/16.

Two relatively easy ways to prevent this are to install GWX Control Panel or Never10 which effectively stop automatic updates and remove the offending updates and preloaded Win10 OS that are waiting to do their trick. I have no affiliation with either product, but just am observing that they seem to work, stopping the auto scheduled Win10 update.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

The tradeoff is that you are stopping automatic updates, and may miss some critical security patch or bugfix. Both these tools do selectively allow installation of updates, assuming you can tell if an update will solve, or cause problems.

Microsoft is willingly and intentionally causing a lot of grief by forcing people to make a choice to stop updates or have their system potentially trashed by an unsuccessful update, one that could render mission critical software and hardware inoperable. Microsoft is making that update decision for you, which in my opinion is the single worst thing they have ever done to their customers.

Given how aggressively Microsoft is pushing these automatic updates this month, and the dollars required to replace hardware and software that works just fine on Win 7 but not on Win10, or to do a rollback that may or may not succeed, you may want to seriously considering taking these measures... right away. 

I personally know several individuals and small business that have been affected. Incurred costs of dealing with this are mounting.

MushCreek

Our computer just self-loaded 10 (I think). I'm not a big fan so far. From what I've read, it is fairly easy to roll back to 7, but you have to do it within 30 days, or you'll need the 7 CD, which I don't have, as it was already installed. My wife claims she didn't agree to 10. but it got on there somehow. Grrr!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

Is 10 a bad system? This machine runs 7 and I assume support will stop soon... for the average user is it unwise to let it change?

hpinson

Win10 is not a bad system per say - it might work well for you, or your computer may not be up to the task of running it, or the hardware and software you rely on may or may not work on it. It is full of internal MS sanctioned spyware and adware, and will force you into a subscription model - paying endlessly for Microsoft Office for example, and soon, for the operating system itself.

The biggest problem is legacy software and hardware not working on it.  I use QuickBooks Pro 2008 for my business, rely on it, it has all the features I need, and it will not run on Windows 10.  That is roughly a $500 cost to update the software for me-- unanticipated.  Also I use the Adobe CS5.5 Suite which I purchased in full. It has quite a few bad problems running on Windows 10.  Updating that forces me into the Adobe endless subscription model - and there are very few of the new features that I really want or need.  My friends business has Win7 specific video hardware - and the forced upgrade happened during a video shoot Monday - costing the shoot - six hired people had to be paid to stand around while they rolled back so that the expensive production hardware would work.  So a lot of us have good, informed reason to stay on Win7.

Yes, you should be able to rollback.  Some people are doing it with no problem, some are having trouble and ending up with borked systems. Some have no idea how to do it.

Don - your wife did nothing. Essentially it was pushed on her.  She got a message telling her upgrade will happen - there was a way to decline, but in very fine print and not at all obvious.  Clicking the X box (upper right corner of the dialog) to close the dialog initiated the update. Intentional misdirection on Microsoft's part and they are getting a ton of criticism for it.

Don - support for Win7 stops in early 2020.

Is it good for the average user? I don't know - all I know is that Microsoft made a decision that forces a lot of unanticipated cost on individuals and small business who were not prepared for an upgrade, or had elected not to do so often for good reason.

My stepmom is 80 and has difficulty with any computer user interface but has learned to some extent Win7 over the last few years. A new interface, very different, has been forced on her. Her printer no longer works. Very bad...

hpinson

glenn kangiser

Yes, I was forced to buy QB2014 to be compatible with Windows 8.1 and now they are trying to force me to buy QB2016 to be compatible with Win10.   Saying it won't work and the occasional crash but haven't lost anything. I have never needed more than the original QB.

I only use the invoice function, check registe and reporting functions for the most part.  Grrrrrr  >:(
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

hpinson

Hey Glenn.

About a week ago I installed GNUCash to give it a test, but it just does not compare.  Invoicing is tedious to say the least.  There are lots of open source and less costly alternatives to Adobe software but very little in the realm of accounting.

I looked at the single user version of QuickBooks 2016 and it costs $200. Frankly there is nothing that I need that QB 2000 did not have!

I think I am just going to keep an older computer alive for doing books under Win7.

MountainDon

Quote from: hpinson on June 02, 2016, 02:50:27 PM

I think I am just going to keep an older computer alive for doing books under Win7.

That's what we have. One laptop with Win7 and our business books. Plus scanning software that does not run under Win10 for some reason. It lives in the office for whenever we need it.  We do have Win10 on a couple other laptops and like it... one is a touchscreen model. I surprise myself with how many times I use touch as well as the mouse and keyboard.

I use OneNote (comes with Win10) for notes and lists. I have a copy running on 4 devices laptops to tablets. I suppose there are similar options like that I could get somewhere else. I do find that feature very useful.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MountainDon on June 02, 2016, 10:50:58 PM
That's what we have. One laptop with Win7 and our business books. Plus scanning software that does not run under Win10 for some reason. It lives in the office for whenever we need it.  We do have Win10 on a couple other laptops and like it... one is a touchscreen model. I surprise myself with how many times I use touch as well as the mouse and keyboard.

I use OneNote (comes with Win10) for notes and lists. I have a copy running on 4 devices laptops to tablets. I suppose there are similar options like that I could get somewhere else. I do find that feature very useful.

Reluctant to convert.  An IT at my wifes employment said there is one problem with Win 10 in some PDF files for those who have Win 7.  ???.  So like many I will probably just wait until I have to do something.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: hpinson on June 02, 2016, 02:50:27 PM
Hey Glenn.

About a week ago I installed GNUCash to give it a test, but it just does not compare.  Invoicing is tedious to say the least.  There are lots of open source and less costly alternatives to Adobe software but very little in the realm of accounting.

I looked at the single user version of QuickBooks 2016 and it costs $200. Frankly there is nothing that I need that QB 2000 did not have!

I have never needed an upgrade from the original Quickbooks and that is what frustrates me about Intuit and their money grabs.... but compatibility issues are not necessarily their faults I can agree.... so someday I may go to the QB 2016.  That will be the day before 2017 is released due to issues in 2016.... [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.