Tools Necessary to Start Building?

Started by Miedrn, June 22, 2006, 03:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

Not coming straight from Amazon, so there's no free shipping.

Oh, well.  I guess that means I can't get the pink tool belt.

glenn kangiser

QuoteOn second thought, I think I'd rather see the pink tutu's and leotards on the two of you! :) Be sure to post a picture of THAT!

Jonesy, is that you?

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jonsey/downunder

Have you been going through my photo album again, mate   :o

Streamlined aren't I though, now you know why I'm so fast on a bike. ;D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

glenn kangiser

Careful about bending over, Jonesy-- I think you forgot your leotards. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Since I am getting started on the pole building...I made a list of the things I will use most...

100 foot tape....
Level
Square
Chain saw
Drill
1/2 drive Rachet
Claw Hammer
Crow Bar
Pick
Shovel
Sledge Hammer
Double Sided Axe

That is pretty much it....I would use the Skill saw but there is no power to the area where I am building and I only have 100 feet of extension cord and it will not reach....So the chain saw will get plenty of use.

Daddymem

Tool for planning maybe:
Year subscription to Architectural Digest Magazine for $4.99
http://www.magsforless.com/pd_architectural.cfm

btw, you should never pay full price for magazine subscriptions, there are a few sites out there like this one that sells for cheap and sometimes gives away free subsciptions to magazines.  Why?  Reader base.  If the magazine has more subscribers they can sell advertising for more so it is sometimes worth it for them to give away a bunch of subscriptions for free or cheap.

PS can't vouch for this magazine, just thought someone in the planning stages may be interested.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Daddymem

Another Amazon tool deal.  Search for: Hitachi KC14DVF 14.4 Volt Combo Kit
List Price:        $199.99
Was:      $199.00
Now:       $129.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save:       $70.00 (35%)
Rebate:       $30.00
Price After Rebate:       $99.99

Technical Details

* 3 tool combo kit includes drill, circular saw and lantern
   * Heavy Duty carrying bag
   * 2--1.4 Amp Hr. Batteries
   * DS14DVF3 Drill has 300 in-lbs torque
   * UC18YG Charger

Amanda_931

I'm not sure if a 14.4v circular saw would be worth much.

(the really high-dollar ones now are 24 or 36v, and they are standard size--7 1/4--not 5 1/2 or 6 inch--and high dollar is right!)

The deWalt 18v circular saw runs through charged batteries, especially if you're using it for framing, which I've done (although some of the worst of that was because of aged batteries).

Daddymem

Oh I don't know, up on my roof one of these sure would have been sweet for cutting my strapping, 18V would be too heavy up there stretched out over the gable end.

glenn-k

Murphy's law regarding battery operated tools.  "The worse the position you are in, the farther away from the charger, the more you need it to do one more cut ---- the sooner the battery will go completely dead."  

My 18v Dewalt set was such a PITA I quit using it.

Amanda_931

I still use the drill that came with the set (and another one).  But I think that drills are the most efficient use of the rechargeables.

May need them again up the hill, with no electricity with hundreds of feet.

(and I had the--hated--generator, in the pen.  When The Barkers moved in, I didn't think about it until after it was mostly buried)

glenn-k

Amanda said,
QuoteMay need them again up the hill, with no electricity with hundreds of feet.

Crimoney Amanda-- How can you afford shoes?  

"Let's see now which foot goes first -- number one or number ninety nine?" :-/

I'm gonna have to start calling you centipede girl, Amanda. :)

Wow -- Boy --am I funny ;D

Amanda_931

glenn-k

benevolance

anyone got a picture of a straight jacket....

Oh the joys of red tape so you can start smashing out walls

Daddymem

glenn-k

I smell something fishy about that offer, Daddymem. :-/

benevolance

Daddymem

This is my break and reality check....As good or sad as that may be :-/

olypen

What I did when we built our first place was to make sure we had several good friends who were carpenters.  They were always willing to help and especially lend tools.  That was probably our best resource at the time...and now 30 years later they are some of our dearest friends.

Dimitri

The tools I belive are needed to work with wood using pretty big tolarances ..... well compared to the tolarnces I need when metal working ..... arnt many.

Items required to build anything you need:

A Combination square (A cheapy will do).
A Claw (woodworking) Hammer
A Corded Drill with capacity of up to half inch.
A Set of drills. (Fractional with up to 3" drills)
A Screw driver set.
A Corded Circular Saw.
A Handsaw (I like Bahco).
A Wood Planner.
A Bevel Protractor.
A Framing Square.
A 12" Stright Edge (ruler)
A Folding wood rule (like the one mentioned before that Starrett makes)
A Mechanical Pencil.
A permante marker.
A bunch of nails and screws.

And thats about it. With that I dont think is is much you couldnt make. :) I'm slowly putting this together but my metal working tooling is taking perority so its going to take abit of time. I got most of it though.  ;D

Dimitri

Bruce

I haven't gotten far enough into this process to seriously collect new tools (unless I run across a good bargain).

There are lots of nice tools that make any particular process easier, quicker and maybe more accurately. But I'd rather think more like McGiver and less like NASA. Not quite Amish but not nearly like Norm Abrahms. I see a skill-saw, drill-driver, framing square, level and hammer being used nearly every day therefore, they get my highest priority of usability and quality. I'll expect these tools to last well beyond the house building. I can see where a recipricating saw would come in real handy in a couple of places, but I think a cheap import will last long enough to make me glad to have had it.

I've been looking for plans for jigs to make some building tasks easier or quicker. Something like a skill-saw guide for cutting rafters so they fit tight - generally a replacement for a miter chop saw. Maybe by the time I get there I'll be able to saw on the layout line and wont need a jig.

Dimitri

Bruce,

Its not about collecting tools just to build a house, its tools to collect so you can build and repair stuff the house like for me would be a bonus project.  ;)

Everyone should have a tool kit. To do home repairs etc. :)

Dimitri

Bruce

Dimitri,

What kind of metalworking do you do? I have a small metal lathe (Atlas 6x18) and I do a little hobby level silversmithing.

I think your list of basic tools is a good start. I've done a little bit of home maintenance. For me, I'd like to add a few wood chisels (full tang) and a hacksaw to your list. I have an ancient folding wood rule and sometimes grab it for the novelty of using it, but for anything serious I'd grab a tape measure.

Dimitri

I'm going to college to become a machinist. So I've been saving and buying up things I'll need for my future carier ;D Metal working tools are much more expensive then woodworking tools though, a folding wood rule will set you back 20-30$ while a single Starrett Micrometer will set you back over 100$  :o Mind you with the Micrometer I can measure .0001" cant do better then 1/16ths with most woodworking measuring systems.  8-)

I like the wood folding rules better then the tape measurers I find they stay in place better for me.  :)

Dimitri

glenn-k

I have a rather large lathe I used in well drilling - 26x96 Cincinnati but I think I will get a smaller one before I bring it up here to the underground complex.  I only do a little metal work usually when I want to repair something or build something special.  Have to finish more of the shop first though.