Upcoming Kodiak Alaska Cabin Build

Started by 1akbig1bear, December 30, 2015, 06:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1akbig1bear

Just signed up and what a great Forum, already have learned a lot from all of the photos posted and look forward to reading more! I will be starting our 28x36 Cabin with loft this upcoming summer and need all the information I can pack into my head in advance. Thanks to all.

Tried to post some photos of the property from my shutterfly account but no luck and directions on this site are not so simple? I think it will be easier to build the cabin and if anyone wants to come to Alaska in late June or July to help let me know!

NathanS

This is how you post images. You really just need to have the full link (with picture extension type .jpg, .png, or whatever it is, and paste that between the brackets with "img" Hope that helps.

Looking forward to seeing your build and land.

1akbig1bear

Nathan,
When I try to do that I just get the ? symbol like you see on many other posts within the forums. Possibly doing it from Shutterfly isn't the right solution?

1akbig1bear

EDIT: by MD.....The last tag  [/img] was originally missing one  "[".  However I still can't make that appear here with the  [  inserted.

MountainDon

Not all photo hosting services allow "hot links" to pages on other domains.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NathanS

big bear: You're trying to link with this:

http://imgur.com/a/mCLl0

Which is actually a webpage with the image you want to use on it.

You actually want to link to this:

(your first image)
http://i.imgur.com/NvKcp9O.jpg

One way to do this, is once you upload your images, you click and hold down on your image, and the drag it up to your 'tab bar' in your web browser. This should open a new window that is just the image. That address (that ends in .jpg) is the one you want to link.

Another way, is to right click the image, and select "Copy Image Address." I use google chrome, so it might be slightly different if you use another web browser.

Your property is beautiful, by the way.

If you 'quote' my post, you can see how i linked all the images.

1akbig1bear

Thank you! Too bad you can't just attach something but that would just be too easy. Once we get to work on the cabin I will just call you to have you update my post.  ;D

Don_P

Quote from: 1akbig1bear on January 01, 2016, 10:47:45 AM

you were missing the [ bracket in front of the /img] tag... see how it opens and closes the "call" for the picture.

...Holy cow, we have 200-400 lb black bears

1akbig1bear

Don_P

[cool] Looks like you figured it out. In the pic of the stack of firewood... do you have maple or is that a birch?

1akbig1bear

I may be slow but I'm steady, thanks for all the help getting it figured out. The trees are mostly Birch with a few cottonwood's scattered in and a whole bunch of alder.

1akbig1bear

1akbig1bear

1akbig1bear

1akbig1bear

Well my son and I made it up to the property this summer for a total of 5 and half days. All materials have to be shipped in to the property by a Landing Craft (Old World War II boat) so you are at the Captains mercy when they can make the trip as there is only one person on the island that provides this service. I shipped my Bobcat in advance but can't tell you how worried I was after talking to Landing Craft operator. He told me the tide was going out quickly so they had drop the stuff off on the beach in a hurry and he "hoped" it was the correct beach. Man was I sweating it out for the 6 weeks before I could get there!
Once we arrived I quickly got the bobcat stuck, without any road access or help we spent 4 hours digging it out. Finally we then started to put our entire focus on building a road, hauling gravel off the beach up to the building site. We figured it was nearly 100 scoops of gravel or 100 square yards, this took us a full day.
Once we had the road built I cleared the property of the grass cover and any stumps remaining from our 2014 trip where we cleared the alders and trees.
After clearing the land we then began drilling holes, and as easy as that may seem keep in mind we are on an island and what are islands made of? Well nothing more than rock, lots of rock!!!!!
It was a tough 4 days of drilling and putting 8x8 treated pillars in the ground, a total of 12 for 28x36 cabin and another 11 6x6 pressure treated for the decking for a total of 23 pillars. I would bet we never drilled a total of 4 of those holes that didn't hit some series rocks to dig out by hand or hitting sold rock.
The last full day we began building the outhouse, but thanks to the local building supply company we were shorted some materials so still have a bit of work to do to finish it when we return next summer.
I'm trying to post some photos but it looks like I'm struggling again as I can only seem to post the link? Any suggestions?

1akbig1bear

ChugiakTinkerer

Awesome pics, thanks for the update.  I'm feeling some serious skid steer envy right now, that looks like what I need at my place.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

1akbig1bear

My neighbor did it all with a 5 gallon bucket but he was much younger than I at the time. The bobcat was a blast once we got it unstuck.