OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

I'll take the camera down in a little bit. we're in 6a, it was about 23 last night so we are running a double layer of row cover inside the house to keep the daily ground warmth close to the plants. As soon as the sun breaks out of the morning cover and hits I'll uncover and then begin venting the house when it is about 40 outside, it'll get up into the 70's pretty quick, well above that if unvented, calm and bright... the spinach began bolting because we let it get too warm during one of those daytime warm spells. We've also been harvesting winter pea shoots from the cover crop in the garden, taste like peas, just an unexpected bonus from a cover crop.

astidham

This next winter I'm going to use row cover to keep moisture off the tomatoes. . I'm also going to  change the roof film to a inflated IR film to stop the raining inside..
Your tunnel gets quite warm. There is a guy from the Sam Nobel foundation named Steve Upson who is a high tunnel expert, who has wrote quite a bit on tunnel greenhouses, I stay in contact with him, he has talked to me about building one.. I need one to keep insects at bay.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Don_P

Whoops, the day got away, plugged in the camera and it took longer to cruise and mark a neighbors timber than I thought. I'll get a pic up soon. Ours is one of the NRCS tunnels, worth applying for if you can. Actually the insect thing can go both ways. Aphids have found one row that is going to get pulled, drip tube set into the aisle and the soil flamed with a quick pass with the weed burner to try to get on top of them before they get out of hand. So, they are able to overwinter in there. The season extension makes these well worthwhile though. For tomatoes here, we have late blight problems many years. By being ahead of the season and then closing the tunnel at night and keeping the dew off, the spores of course land everywhere, but it is hard for them to do as much as fast without water on the plant. Out in the field you can see them turn to mush in a day or so. Ours were planted a couple of weeks ago and are under lights here in the house as are peppers, more greens, well I think there's 24 flats of stuff down there now getting ready for spring.

astidham

Thanks Don, I look forward to seeing it.
The raining on mine inside when the outside was below freezing left black spots on some of the leaves, so I cut those branches off, and the plants continued to grow pretty well. I did notice when I had several buckets of water inside that the morning temperature was a bit warmer than without them. I had a 2ater snake living in the this winter also.
— Henry Ford

Don_P

This was taken this morning, we were mid 20's last night but didn't need to cover. The hoops over the beds are just 1" poly water line and then the white in the aisles is a double layer of remay for cold nites. We've... ummm She's been harvesting so it looks pretty beaver chewed but they do produce. We hit the mid 60's today and I opened everything for several hours. Yes, arches thrust, look at that right wall, I've got work to do.

I've been helping a friend up the road, they are having their 1820's log barn repaired. Look at what is under the side shed. His mother knew the local man that made it back in the day, she is close to 90 and still drives everywhere, she is also quite a historian, we got to talking about a couple of old local water powered mills and she remembered quite a few details about them.

I'll restore it whenever we get the roof off and can sling it out of there with the skytrak.

astidham

Looks to be a really big greenhouse.  I like it. All the plants look really happy.

I hope when your restoration project starts you will post pictures. It's rare that you get the history behind items locally made.
— Henry Ford

astidham

Here is a YouTube video I made on compostable seed pots.
Made from newspaper
https://youtu.be/nfn_WIxEPaI
— Henry Ford

Rys

astidham

Hello Countryplans family.
It's been a while since I have posted.
When photo bucket ate all my photos I wasnt sure how to recover.
For the future,  I will probably just use YouTube for posting.
My cabin build is still not complete, and I will be rebuilding the underground greenhouse this spring, and will be posting soon..
Todd
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

IF you left the photobucket account sit there with the photos, PB has now taken the step to allow the images to show on forums once again, albeit with a PB watermark in the lower left corner. Big enough watermark but still good enough to view for most purposes here.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Thanks Don,
I'm still a free membership holder.
I would still like to get the pictures copied and moved eventually, 
Good to hear from you.  I've really missed this place.
— Henry Ford

astidham

Hello  Everybody, I know it's been a long time since I've posted. My build looks different since the last time i posted, on the inside anyway, however I'm still not done. Everyday life  Has kept us really  Busy. I now have 6 children,  And my oldest children stay pretty busy singing and playing instruments at nursing homes, Churches, And a local gospel  Opry. Our underground Greenhouse flooded almost all summer, So I have decided to fill it in later on this Winter. We finally had a heat and air system put in the house, The one we put in has a really good heat Pump, really efficient.  Almost all the walls and the addition are finished with pine, Similar to the cabin. We just lack ceilings and a lot of trim, And flooring and the new living Room. Other than that always been pretty well.
Attached below is my 3 oldest girls playing Christmas Calypso.

https://youtu.be/9bEhPZNej3c

— Henry Ford

astidham

Its been a while since my last post, thought I would show what we are up to.
We started sanding off the old paint we put on the log siding. Painting it was a major mistake.
Here is a picture of the east side with stain, I am also building cedar replacement window trim. The old trim was weather rotted.
We also are putting sheet metal for soffit. I had the manufacturer cut it to length.

— Henry Ford

astidham

Here is a short video of sanding and staining the cabin
https://youtu.be/436Qb3YKpao
— Henry Ford

astidham

I'm planning a new 20x30 build to start over in life. 
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

"..starting over in life" ..wish you all the best no matter the reasons...
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Good to hear from yall,
I bought 1 acre of land, and after the pin and stake it was actually 2.6 acres.
It has all utilities at the property except sewer. The people I bought it from own the property next door which has an 8" private sewer line that connects to the city sewer. Before purchasing the seller agreed to let me tap into that sewer line. A month later they sold it, and the new owners said the agreement was with the previous owners not him. I do have it in the contract, so I believe I will be fine, less the neighbors not being very happy. I definitely don't want a bad relationship with neighbors.
The guy owns a very, very successful plumbing business. He has some serious equipment, probably in the millions of dollars in value. 
We are currently trying to work through some family issues is the starting over Part.
2 different residents is the current plan unfortunately.   :-[
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

OlJarhead

Good luck!  I hope it all works out for the best!