Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncanshannon

2006 F-150 SuperCrew is exactly the truck I want.  Lots of leg room in front and pretty dang good in back.

I like the re-design of the interior over the pre-2006 too.

Seems they cost $18k w/ 100,000-120,000 miles on them. oof.

how long will they go if you take care of them? Id hope to spend $12-14... seems like a 2002-2004 with 120k,
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

OlJarhead

Quote from: Tickhill on September 05, 2011, 03:39:33 PM
That was a pretty smooth hijack!

LOL I brought him over from another forum actually, one in which there is only one cabin thread (mine) so it was an honest hijack :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 05, 2011, 04:23:39 PM
No problem - moved it to it's own thread.

Thanks -- I'll have to point him to it :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: duncanshannon on September 05, 2011, 09:05:11 PM
2006 F-150 SuperCrew is exactly the truck I want.  Lots of leg room in front and pretty dang good in back.

how long will they go if you take care of them? Id hope to spend $12-14... seems like a 2002-2004 with 120k,

We got ours with ~$44k miles on it and paid $18K for it.  Might just have to look around for one in that range with lower miles.

JavaMan

Quote from: duncanshannon on September 05, 2011, 09:05:11 PM

If you don't mind 150,000 miles or a 2000 model year, I have one you can have to 7 or 8K  ;)

Seriously, I spent around 10K 4 years ago on my 2000 when it had 74K miles on it.  I would think you'd be able to find one in the year/miles you want for under 10K

I have my sights set on an F250 with a diesel or a Dodge 2500 with diesel ... Of course, that will take a LOT of saving on my part, but that's ok - I think I can make the F150 last that long. ???

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on September 06, 2011, 11:22:25 AM
If you don't mind 150,000 miles or a 2000 model year, I have one you can have to 7 or 8K  ;)

Seriously, I spent around 10K 4 years ago on my 2000 when it had 74K miles on it.  I would think you'd be able to find one in the year/miles you want for under 10K

I have my sights set on an F250 with a diesel or a Dodge 2500 with diesel ... Of course, that will take a LOT of saving on my part, but that's ok - I think I can make the F150 last that long. ???

If you are thinking F250 Diesel do lots of research first....I've seen a ration of bad reviews and reports on the Ford Diesel engines...I will get a Dodge if I go that route.

OlJarhead

Two weeks away is TOO long!  I'm heading back today!!!  [cool] :)

Hope to get some more interior work done, a little exterior staining and put the new pump in :)  Maybe shoot a grouse or two with the 870 and perhaps a deer (with the bow) if one wanders in close enough while I'm working :D

Seeya!

Pritch

The project is looking great, Jarhead!  Any elk near your place? 

I'm getting ready to move on to my third F-150 in a row.  (2010 SuperCrew) I tend to buy the same shoes over and over once I find something I like. 

Anybody want a loaded '02 Lariat Super Cab with 107k on it?   ;D

"The problem with quotes from the internet is that they're not always accurate." -- Abraham Lincoln

OlJarhead

Quote from: Pritch on September 11, 2011, 12:02:18 PM
The project is looking great, Jarhead!  Any elk near your place? 

I'm getting ready to move on to my third F-150 in a row.  (2010 SuperCrew) I tend to buy the same shoes over and over once I find something I like. 

Anybody want a loaded '02 Lariat Super Cab with 107k on it?   ;D

Elk season is 'Any Elk' in my area but I haven't seen a lot of them yet.  I think Yonderosa has though.

OlJarhead

Showed up late Friday but felt good to be back at the cabin :)  Saw a Doe and her Fawn before going to bed (right in the yard) and worked on some arrows for the next days hunting but otherwise enjoyed the evening and cool air.

Saturday morning I slept in a little (was a long week) but finally got up at 7:30am, got coffee started and planned the day.  First we pulled up the old well pump and replaced with the new one -- and started pumping water right away.  Which was rather nice though it didn't last.

Then we set to milling lumber into Tongue and Groove paneling on the router table, table saw and plane.  We prepared about two dozen boards of paneling in various sizes (4", 5" and 6") because I wanted to use as much of the lumber we'd milled as possible and since it gets milled in different widths I decided to use different widths on the walls.

Then we took a break and hit the Cabin store a few miles away (it's actually in an old cabin) for icecream and super glue (for my new arrows).  It was hot out and the moon was full so the deer weren't moving but I didn't want to waste early bow season so brought the bow along.

On the way home we saw a covey (??) of about 8-10 grouse!  I've NEVER seen that many at once in the woods despite years of hunting them so this was exciting.  Of course, since my shotgun wasn't with me it was even more exciting -- I'd get my first show with the bow (50lbs recurve) at dinner.

This is when I realized it would have been much nicer to have had the Super Glue the night before because I had only one rubber blunt arrow on me and all my bird arrow heads were back at the cabin waiting on the glue!  Oh well, after them I went with one arrow and a hope and a prayer.

I got within 25 feet of the birds who were on a bank above the road and drew on two that were fairly close together -- I figured maybe I could get two birds with one arrow.  I let that blunt arrow fly in hopes of knocking them out but shot a tad low!!!  RIGHT between their legs!

Some feathers flew and then so too did the grouse but I was pretty happy despite the miss because I had feathers from the birds on the arrow shaft which tells me they got a shave and that my aim was fairly true -- it also tells me that if I had the claw arrow heads I would have gutted both of them right there with one shot.

That evening we finished off the wood, prepped 6 arrows with broad heads and claws and headed out in search for deer....

The deer weren't around so we settled for a Jack and Coke and a relaxing evening before bed.

We had to run the wiring from the inverter up the new conduit into the AC panel and seal the whole in the wall/base plate that was originally used with spray foam.  Then finish off the insulation on two walls (at least to above 36") and finally could get started putting up paneling.

With everything prepped we got down to cutting and nailing up paneling.  My goal was to get the paneling at least high enough on the wall so that Dad and Mom could sleep on the bed (they are planning to come up in a couple weeks) and not have to sleep against the insulation like this old Jarhead has been doing.

We also discovered that the pump was not working :(  I think the electrical connector may be allowing water to seep past it and short out the power -- I hope that's all it is anyway and I have a new connector I can install next trip.  $700 for a pump is a lot of money to have it work once and then quit!

We finished up all we could do this trip, cleaned up and bailed out.  It was about 95 degrees and one of the hottest days ever at the cabin!  Yikes!  I can't wait for the cooler weather to return.

Cheers for now.
Erik

BRUTAL

OLJ, Did you say you mad ethe tingue and grove panels with router table. I was thinking about doing that to save money but only using a dado blade in my table saw to step the boards. did you buy them at a big box? or? you said you planed them, where they that out?
I just ordered DIY spray foam kits to insulate a 1" air barrier and then batt over it. So just trying to think a step ahead:) ???
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11116.0
making mistakes along the way and wishing Ide been here sooner :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: BRUTAL on September 13, 2011, 01:36:27 PM
OLJ, Did you say you mad ethe tingue and grove panels with router table. I was thinking about doing that to save money but only using a dado blade in my table saw to step the boards. did you buy them at a big box? or? you said you planed them, where they that out?
I just ordered DIY spray foam kits to insulate a 1" air barrier and then batt over it. So just trying to think a step ahead:) ???

We milled the boards on our Woodmizer LT10 Sawmill from trees we cut down on the property and then after drying them we plane them and then use a router to cut the tongue and grooves in them :)

I bought the bit online from a source I found on the forestry forum I also go to and the router I bought on craig's list for $50 (is the Ryobi Plunge Router then normally sells for $100) then bought the Ryobi table from HD.

OlJarhead

If you scroll back about 8 or 10 pages you'll see the posts on the mill :)

OlJarhead

I should add that I too was going to use the dado blade and do mine but switched to this method and am happy with it.

On cost reduction I believe I've saved ~$1500 on interior paneling and trim wood and will save that and more on other projects thanks to the mill.  The initial outlay was less then what I planned on spending on interior paneling and trim by enough that buying extra tools wasn't an issue either :)  But what's best is that I no longer have to buy lumber.  I may from time to time for special needs etc but for the most part I have trees and a mill.  nuff said ;)

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 13, 2011, 09:54:23 PM
I should add that I too was going to use the dado blade and do mine but switched to this method and am happy with it.

On cost reduction I believe I've saved ~$1500 on interior paneling and trim wood and will save that and more on other projects thanks to the mill.  The initial outlay was less then what I planned on spending on interior paneling and trim by enough that buying extra tools wasn't an issue either :)  But what's best is that I no longer have to buy lumber.  I may from time to time for special needs etc but for the most part I have trees and a mill.  nuff said ;)

Ah, someday ... someday.

There was a mill up at auction here last week or the week before, but we had something going on that I couldn't make it  :(  Who knows, I might have come home with a mill... probably a good thing, though.  They had a dozer, a tractor, the mill, and a couple other big items that are on my wish list

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on September 14, 2011, 11:22:43 AM
Ah, someday ... someday.

There was a mill up at auction here last week or the week before, but we had something going on that I couldn't make it  :(  Who knows, I might have come home with a mill... probably a good thing, though.  They had a dozer, a tractor, the mill, and a couple other big items that are on my wish list

Tractor is DEFINITELY on my list!

I look at the mill as a money saving venture as well as an investment :)

One that has already paid off.

OlJarhead

Since I'm home this weekend I decided to get the tub ready for the cabin.  First we cleaned the whole underside and then used a metal prep and rust treatment on exposed parts.  Finally after a cleaning we used tack cloth and began painting.

The first coat was a pearl that we thought would be a white also but it turned out to be more of a clear coat.  Interestingly enough it claims to be a primer and paint in one (Rustoleum) but I can't see that with the clearish finish...anyway, after giving that the correct amount of time we sprayed with a glass white to set the base color.

I wizened up and put on a mask for the next coat as being the typical dumb jarhead I failed to do so earlier...DOH!

With the white base coat down we waited the requisite time (inside of one hour) and then put on a coat of pearl again.

The image doesn't really bring out the color so I'll have to get it in some light in a couple days so I can show off the colors :)

We decided not to sand it down completely (initial thought was to) because it is, after all, going in a cabin and we figured the older paint might have lead in it so decided to just scuff it and spray over it.  I've read that Rustoleum is fine for this kind of application....guess we'll find out!

The claw feet were wire brushed to bear metal, treated with a rust preventer and metal prep and then sprayed also.  I'll get a picture of them soon.

OlJarhead

Got the last coat on (for now anyway) and can't wait to see what it looks like in some real light!

My wife told me that she could see the pearl coat from the street when she pulled up  [cool]

OlJarhead

The feet for the tub need a sanding and another coat or two of bronze

Figured it was time to see what we were creating :)

timkel

Looks great. What a difference.
Do you plan to reglaze the inside?

OlJarhead

Quote from: timkel on September 19, 2011, 05:16:48 AM
Looks great. What a difference.
Do you plan to reglaze the inside?

Nope.  The porcelain on the inside is in excellent condition so we're leaving it.  The exterior just wasn't painted (since new in 1922) on the side that will be showing and there was some light rust that we needed to address before installing.

BRUTAL

THATS LOOKS REALLY GOOD. I THINK YOU MISSED AN OPPORTUNITY TO EMBELISH IT MORE. LIKE PAINTING THE BALLS UNDER THE CLAWS GOLD, AND STENCILLING "TITANIC" ON THE SIDE :)
AND ADDING A GOOD "FISHING STORY" TO ITS BEING FOUND, STILL NOT TOO LATE.......
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11116.0
making mistakes along the way and wishing Ide been here sooner :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: BRUTAL on September 19, 2011, 11:16:38 AM
THATS LOOKS REALLY GOOD. I THINK YOU MISSED AN OPPORTUNITY TO EMBELISH IT MORE. LIKE PAINTING THE BALLS UNDER THE CLAWS GOLD, AND STENCILLING "TITANIC" ON THE SIDE :)
AND ADDING A GOOD "FISHING STORY" TO ITS BEING FOUND, STILL NOT TOO LATE.......

Painting the balls would be pretty cool...I cold do it with gold paint for copper even...not sure what the wife would say mind you but I don't think I want to spend more time on it!

As for the story!  $300 is story enough :D  I've seen tubs in poorer condition for $1k!  This one, being complete and ready to use was a pretty good price I think :)

OlJarhead

A few more shots of the Claw Foot tub we just finished painting.  Now we have to finish the bathroom in the cabin!

I can't wait to flip this heavy monster over!

I guess I also can't wait to install it.

After all, having a shower or a hot soak after a long day of cutting wood at the cabin will make the experience much more comfortable! :D  And of course, if my wife is happy, I'm happy :D

duncanshannon

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0