Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhen

Looking good, Jarhead!  Seems like you're moving right along!
Jesse

Pine Cone

Looking good.

I got my roofing stuff at my local ABR store in Poulsbo.  They had the best price quote by a good margin on the metal roofing I bought.  They also sold me some synthetic underlayment that I liked.  They're on your side of the water as well.  They have a website here.   No interest other than being a satisfied customer.   Buy the kneepads they have as well.  Worth the $16 or so, and pretty sticky on the roof as long as the metal is dry.

http://americanbuildingandroofing.com/

My oldest son had experience with synthetic roofing felt when he lived in Florida, and it can be left on the roof instead of a tarp for far longer than normal tar-based felt, max of about six months.  It is also recommended for metal roofing, and since it is very lightweight it is much easier to apply if you are understaffed as I was.  The brand I got was Palisade.  It  has little slip-resistant dots on it that worked pretty well until it was very wet.  I don't recommend roofing in the rain, but I still got two chances thanks to my schedule.  The safety rope is a must.  Glad you had one on when you fell.

http://www.sdp-products.com/HTML/palisade.html

jdejarn

I don't say much, but I am building in your area also.  Spent last season on the build, and the roof is waht got me the worst because I too have a 12-12 pitch, metal. We tar papered from the top down, pushing the lower layer under the top. As for the metal roof, we set up a scaffold on the side of the house, attached an extension ladder to it with a 2x4 as a footer and ratchet straps, and used the ladder to access the sheet and the screws.  Attached the cap as we went.  Scary as can be and made some guys with experience nervous, but it only took about 5-6 hours for the roof.

Osprey

My roof is 10/12 and we used the angled jacks with a plank. We started at the far end and unscrewed and screwed the planks as needed. The saving grace was the less steep pitch over the deck. It was still a pain and almost impossible to get the metal up and on without scratching the metal. I went with the heavier 26 gauge metal so it was harder on the guys screwing the roof down than a normal 29 gauge roof. I hope if a limb hits the roof the heavier metal will make it worth the extra cost and trouble to install.

OlJarhead

jd -- you, yonderosa and myself (and any others) ought to meet for pizza in town one of these trips! :)

Thanks for the tips too.

OlJarhead

Osprey I've thought about putting the deck up first but decided not to in the end.

Probably would have been the better choice though!

JavaMan

A couple years ago I purchased my property - 40 acres up near Okanogan... a bit south of Tonasket, but up in the hills.  I'm at about 4100', and am looking forward to building this summer (if the employment situation sorts itself out and I can afford it)

I'm reading with great interest your experience - and learning a  bunch about what to do (and what not to do  ;) ).

I have about a 4.5 hour drive once I get to Seattle (ferry ride from Bremerton), so I know what you mean about a long drive to the place.  I've been mulling over foundations, etc... for nearly a year.  I'm thinking that I'll use pier and post for the first cabin (I hope to build 3 on my property)

My biggest problem is finding someone to drill a well that won't cost me an arm and a leg ... or drilling it myself - which will take a long time.

Anyway, it seems like there are a LOT of folk building up in that area.  It would be interesting to get together an discuss our projects over a couple of beers sometime.

jdejarn

You're on for pizza, or a couple of beers and compare notes and building scars.  Gotta start my own thread one of these nights and share the build with the group.  Been into my cabin weekends for about 5 mos, progress about like you have made, so I feel better that I am making average time!  I have a few details to go, then I can call in the 60-day cabin final inspection.  That is when I get to do the things I want to!  Hopefully I can have this good to go for a winter night stay this October.

I'll drop in here again and chat more later!

OlJarhead

Ordered Roofing and Windows last week and the roofing should be in this week.  I'll go up Friday, deliver the roofing material and get the roofing started.  Then I have a long weekend then next weekend so I'll get the windows delivered and try to finish the roofing.

Going to be a tough go with that pitch though, but I ordered ladder hooks and am looking for a 8-10 foot aluminum ladder now to put them on.  Figure that will work well enough.

Also will have to get new batteries for the drill (they are about 3 years old and dying regularly now).

Can't wait though!

OlJarhead

H Clips

Just a thought on these buggers.

When I began sheeting the roof I was in a bit of a hurry and totally forgot to include the clips.  I got 95% of one side done before realizing what I'd done.  I put them in the other side.

Now I have a dilemma on what to do.  I'm thinking of straightening up the tines on one side and pushing them through and then flattening them out again.  I know it's a cabin but I've framed the roof on 24" centers and think it's best to stop the OSB flex between rafters at joins.

Anyone else done this?  Solutions?

Thanks

JavaMan

Can't say that I have any solutions, but I do envy you being able to get up there this weekend.

Hopefully I'll be heading up sometime towards the end of the month for a few days

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on April 07, 2010, 10:28:13 AM
Can't say that I have any solutions, but I do envy you being able to get up there this weekend.

Hopefully I'll be heading up sometime towards the end of the month for a few days

Turns out this weekend will only be an up and back trip to pick up the roofing and deliver it to the site.  I'll check the tarp and secure it better also.  My boss is off on PTO for the weekend so I can't be out of cell range and our cabin is definitely out of cell range! ha!

But the following weekend I have off (took Friday) so I'll go up Thursday night (15th I think) and stay to Sunday night.  That should be the big roofing weekend :D

OlJarhead

Managed to race up (4+ hours) grab the trailer, drive to the builders store (45 minutes), get the roofing, drive back (another 45) and fix the tarp on the cabin, take a few pics and then drive home (4+ hours) on Saturday.  Ya, it was a long day!  But I had a friend along and it made the drive easier.

Honestly I hate wasting $100+ that way but it needed to be done.

This weekend we will get to work in earnest on the roof :)

Couple pics for ya:

I've been trying to get a picture that gives a feel for our place in the woods :)  It's really quite secluded and tucked in between the mountains in a valley created by a little stream.  We own the hill to the south of us and to the north the mountains go up another 1000 feet or more.  All around the cabin are trees but there are also some meadows.

To the left of the cabin and behind it (Northwest) is an area that catches a fair amount of sun and I think will make a good garden plot of I choose to put on in some day.  The stream is 30-50 feet below the cabin and the Cistern is about 50-70 above it (above where this picture was taken actually).

OlJarhead

This one is looking North through the trees.

One thing I've noticed is that in the winter the area is pretty brown and drab looking but in the spring and summer it comes alive!  I can't wait to see the cabin roofed and sided with windows and all that green grass around! :D

OlJarhead

This one I wanted to shot the height of the trees!  Most of the trees appear to be Ponderosa Pines but there are also some Fir's on the property.  I'm still learning to identify them -- it's never been something I learned despite years in the woods!

OlJarhead

OK now I'm just getting carried away :D  But I'm hoping you are enjoying it...I am!

MountainDon

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 13, 2010, 11:05:39 AM
I'm still learning to identify them -- it's never been something I learned despite years in the woods!

The short quick basics of the common three around my NM mountains.

Pines: needles grow in clusters of 2, 3 or 5 needles.

Firs: needles are individually attached and are flat in cross section.

Spruce: needles are individually attached and are square in cross section.

This gave me an idea for another topic..

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=8793.msg113722#msg113722
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

The property looks nice. I'd love to see more in greener seasons.

Looks like you need to do some thinning too   ;)   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on April 13, 2010, 12:05:25 PM
The property looks nice. I'd love to see more in greener seasons.

Looks like you need to do some thinning too   ;)   

I went back to look at the pictures from last June and WOW!  So green!  It will be amazing.

I noticed some shoots of grass coming up last trip :)  I also plan to bring a bag of seed each trip in order to try to get more grass growing on the easement road to keep the bank from caving

MountainDon

In a small town near us the old general store has bulk supplies of many grasses that are native to our mountains. We've spread some of them around.

OlJarhead

Good point Don -- I'll check locally to see what's natural and does well (since it's 160 miles north of where we live).

Jusst took the plunge and bought the Centrex 2000 AC/DC Sun Mar Composting Toilet system.  Pretty spendy at $2300 (with toilet and shipping) but we want an 'indoor' bathroom and this seemed to be the best option.

I'll be installing the unit outside of the cabin in it's own enclosure.  I MAY install it under the cabin (that was the original plan and part of the reason for the height off the ground) but Have to figure out the best way to get the vent stack up without running it through the roof as well as providing room to clean out the compost etc etc.

OlJarhead

Found an outhouse seat riser from Canada for $103 :)  Ordered it and after shipping was $160.

Considering the ones I found in the US were between $350 and $500 I think this is a great deal :D

It will be our backup.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 13, 2010, 07:10:00 PM
Good point Don -- I'll check locally to see what's natural and does well (since it's 160 miles north of where we live).

Jusst took the plunge and bought the Centrex 2000 AC/DC Sun Mar Composting Toilet system.  Pretty spendy at $2300 (with toilet and shipping) but we want an 'indoor' bathroom and this seemed to be the best option.

I'll be installing the unit outside of the cabin in it's own enclosure.  I MAY install it under the cabin (that was the original plan and part of the reason for the height off the ground) but Have to figure out the best way to get the vent stack up without running it through the roof as well as providing room to clean out the compost etc etc.

So where did you purchase it from? I just received info from CTS in Newport as I am thinking of something similar for the cabin(s) I plan on building eventually

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on April 14, 2010, 07:17:23 PM

So where did you purchase it from? I just received info from CTS in Newport as I am thinking of something similar for the cabin(s) I plan on building eventually

Kaylx.com

Price wasn't too bad and the shipping was exceptable.

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 15, 2010, 12:17:14 AM
Quote from: JavaMan on April 14, 2010, 07:17:23 PM

Kaylx.com

Price wasn't too bad and the shipping was exceptable.

Thanks, I'll take a look over there.  The pricing that I received yesterday isn't too much different than what you paid - maybe a little more - but they are somewhat local, and I an trying to get info from them on any tips they may have to permitting, etc... in WA, since they are in this state.