Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary O

every time I see pics of yer cabin I loose track of time and end up catching myself with my mouth open

I may have drooled a little bit this time....keyboard is a bit moist
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gary O on September 05, 2016, 11:13:23 PM
every time I see pics of yer cabin I loose track of time and end up catching myself with my mouth open

I may have drooled a little bit this time....keyboard is a bit moist
Ha!  All that mess?  I love your place so it's mutual :)

OlJarhead

What did I do the rest of the weekend?  Well the grandkids came along so there was things we had to do (like teaching them to look for grouse, riding the tractor and ATV etc).

I managed to clean up the road with the tractor Friday evening and a bit on Sunday and bucked and split a bit of that big pine.  Still have lots of splitting to do and more of the log to buck up but got a good start on it and this new saw rocks!

Couple shots of sawing up the big fir.  Saw never slowed down, just kept going and going :)

This log is the one I tried to buck up with my 455 and it just didn't have the ooomph to do it though admittedly the chain was not sharpened well and it wasn't cutting straight either so it probably would have done better but still, it barely made it through this in several minutes....in the same amount of time with the big 576 I bucked the log up into several rounds.  Still need to get back and finish the work as half the tree is left to buck up but I'll get it before the snow flies!

JavaMan

Sweet!  The plan (and we all know about plans, right?) is to head up to the property Thursday right after work, and work remote Friday. And then be there all next week.

Of course, I STILL haven't got the truck back from the shop....  ???

OlJarhead

Stopped by the cabin to grab my cell phone carrier and take some measurements so I could order the roofing ($570 at Mideway)....

Now I just need to get back next week and do some more blocking and strapping and get ready for the final weekend of the month when I rip off the old porch roof and finish the new one complete with roofing :D

OlJarhead

I had originally planned to be here at the cabin much earlier in the day and wanted to take a half day today so I had some time to work on the new deck roof but alas, I didn't get here until after 3pm.  BY the time I was moved in and set up it was 4:30 so I spent an hour working on blocking.

Not the best pic but you can see the blocking on top of the beam on the west wall.  I started coming around to the south (right in the pic) but ran out of time as I knew it would be a while to tear down etc before I could make some dinner and get a fire going in the stove.

I put in one brace on a post to try out my idea of notching out the post enough to set a 2x6 brace in it but found that I'd have to take off more than I want to so I chiseled out a quarter inch or so and tapered the 2x6 to the post to see how that would work....it's ok and for now I may try this as a simple way to brace the posts.

Meanwhile I managed to get my bracing in and though I need a new miter saw blade (which I'll get tomorrow) the new table saw blade was great!  I'd been using the same two for some years now so it's time to replace them both.

Tomorrow I plan to take a half day and get back to the cabin around noon or one and then I'm going to finish the blocking, set one more rafter and strap the roof.  If time allows I'll pull off some of the metal roofing on the old porch and start sheeting the new roof with it (in the corner) as I'll be using two of those old 4 foot pieces (or were they 5'?) for the corners since I'll need to cut them to fit.  I also picked up a metal blade for my skill saw so I'll have no problem cutting them to fit.

Oh and the box of 3 1/4" galvies I picked up for my air nailer???  Ya they were 2"....not sure how I did that but I'll take them back and get the right ones tomorrow.

Otherwise the fire is going, the cabin is warming and the bourbon is cold and in the glass :)

OlJarhead

Got most of what I wanted done today.  Just failed to get the old roof stripped of one set of panels and didn't get the last rafter in but otherwise got much done.

Blocked and strapped including fascia.  Now just have to do some staining to protect the wood and get the roofing on this section before stripping the old porch roof off and continuing past it to cover it up with the new roof and build the ends on it.

Gary O

appreciate the pics, OJ

good times

the best

cheers

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  I'll post some more tomorrow.  I'm pretty much over the moon now with what I've gotten done!  Can't wait to stain it all and get the roofing on and of course finish this project.  It will chain things a LOT!

OlJarhead

Just some pics of the framing.  I'm not the best carpenter but this is a cabin! ha!

I plan to box in the eves when the roof is done and put in vents.

Pretty sure this is the way I'm going to brace the posts.  It's simple and should work.  Basically 2x6's set 1/4" into the posts (to give a flat surface) and set at a 45 degree angle.  Not too intrusive and should look good (once I use better wood, this was a test brace on a post that will be moved later)

Need one more rafter put in and decided to strap the short span to it separately as I'll have to remove it all when I extend the porch (the strapping not the rafter) to tie it in but it will sit that way for several months to a year)

Next I need to clean off the posts etc and stain.

OlJarhead

Oh Lord I have the bug!  I've been milling a LOT this year (met my goal for the year a couple weeks back so am pretty happy with that) and have not had as much time to work ont he cabin as I would like but I'm dying to get back up there now and am just biding my time waiting for Thursday!  I'll pick up my roofing material and head the cabin in the afternoon with the hope of staining the rafters and beams first, then starting the roofing in the corner and working my way to the old porch.  Friday I'll likely be roofing and doing some light framing as well as stripping the porch roof down to felt if the weather holds.  Then Saturday I'll remove the old roof (sawzall and elbow grease I imagine) then I'll frame the new roof and sheet it with 1" boards I milled up.  Once done, I'll stain, let that dry then felt and install roofing.

With luck I can be done by Sunday evening...

So ya, I'm dying here ;)  even went through the 1st 40 pages of this 106 page thread!!! just to relive some of the early moments of cabin framing :D

poppy

I have been following your thread since the beginning and have very much enjoyed the detail and the pics.

There are those on here with much more knowledge and experience than I, but I think the bracing for the porch posts are redundant and just decorative.  What with being tied into the main cabin plus having triangles all over the place, that porch isn't going anywhere.  This comment is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

I really like your sawmill; wish I had one.

ChugiakTinkerer

Poppy may be right about the post bracing being more ornamental than structural, but I sure like it.  Have you thought about peeling some small logs and using those for braces, rather than the sawn wood?  It seems like it might make for a more fetching front porch.

Did I mention I'm real good at suggesting ideas that require yet more work?   ;D
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

OlJarhead

Ha!  More work!

The roof does move side to side when I walk on it, hence the bracing. 

I have thought of logs and may also give that a try as I like the idea a lot.....let me think about it! ha  d*

We shall see how it goes tomorrow!  I'm heading back up for the weekend (taking Friday off) and can't wait to get metal on that roof and extend it over the old porch ;)  Good times!

MountainDon

QuoteThe roof does move side to side ...

That is one of the things sheet goods are good at stopping.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Quote from: MountainDon on September 21, 2016, 03:19:12 PM
That is one of the things sheet goods are good at stopping.  ;D

Imagine so, but with all the 1" strapping I'd hoped to see some improvement...it is stiff in the framing but clearly the posts need some bracing.

Gary O

'Just some pics of the framing.  I'm not the best carpenter but this is a cabin! ha!'

I

am not alone

Keep a fire, fellow cabiner

pmichelsen

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on September 21, 2016, 11:11:00 AMHave you thought about peeling some small logs and using those for braces, rather than the sawn wood?  It seems like it might make for a more fetching front porch.

This was the first thing I thought of as well. I seem to remember you having one of those tenon makers for small logs, or am I making that up.

OlJarhead

Quote from: pmichelsen on September 22, 2016, 09:40:15 AM
This was the first thing I thought of as well. I seem to remember you having one of those tenon makers for small logs, or am I making that up.

I do and originally planned to make the railings with it but today I have some other ideas in mind (mostly due to time it would take vs other options).  Best bet for the pole supports I think would be 45 degree angles and some notching.  Faster for sure anyway

OlJarhead

5:45am and I've been up an hour  ??? maybe it's age setting in ;) or just the excitement of knowing I'll get a bunch done today (god and weather permitting).

I managed to get the roofing to the cabin without much excitement (ok I had to stop a couple times and push it back onto the pickup bed before I finally got smart and strapped around the back of the roofing to something prevented it from moving out of the bed (wasn't an issue on the road, was an issue on the 'off' road)... d* but I got it up here and after some work (that thing I do to pay for all this fun stuff) I set about staining as much of the framing as I could.  I got most of it done but will need to finish some this morning when it's above 40 degrees. 

Meanwhile, I can get some rafters made for the section over the old porch so they will be cut and ready to install as soon as the roof comes off and the ledger goes up.  I can also get that last rafter installed on the other side of the roof and start installing roofing over the now stained section of the roof so I'll have a place to set my saws etc that will be protected from the weather should any more in.

All in all it should be a good day! :D  Can't wait to get started but it's still dark out.

Redoverfarm

Can you use the tractor bucket to lift the old roof off?  Probably would not have enough height.

OlJarhead

Not enough height.  I'm going to have to pull the nails out of the sheeting and then lift it off, then I'll have to pull and cut nails out of the framing so I can remove it.  Once done I can install the new ledger and rafters and get busy sheeting it with 1x's.  Cover with 30# felt and finally roof.  I think I can install the ends after that.

So far so good today.  I've only made one mistake that will take some fiddling to correct (installed the roofing edge OVER the lip rather than under it on the first couple sheets on the long roof.  Other than that and having to remove a few panels on the west side and reset them so they are square it's been ok though cool with some rain and lots of clouds.

Supposed to get warmer and sunny the rest of the weekend though so I should be good to go.  After I get some lunch I'll get back at it and finish the roofing I can do now (almost done now) then I can get to making rafters if I have time today (hoping to get at least some made before quitting time).

OlJarhead

Taking a break in the cabin (which is nice and warm thanks to the fire in the wood stove) as it began raining but I'm making progress.

If you look closely you might see the flashing.  You may also notice the ridge cap is a bit flat at the top but that's because I wanted it to go under the flashing (didn't really know what I'm supposed to do there actually) and with it under the flashing I don't expect water or snow to get under it.

A little view from under the roof :)  It's dry under here now :D

Lots to do still but with the crappy weather it's slow going...and I'm getting sore!  It's been a long day of going up an down the ladder over and over again....take up a sheet, measure and mark it for cutting, bring it down, cut it, take it back up, check it, screw it down, go back down, get another sheet, take it up, measure and mark it, take it down and then back up to screw it down...repeat all day then drink whiskey! ;)  It helps with the pain

OlJarhead

Got the last rafter on and strapped after fiddle farting (and some cussing) around with the flashing which I finally got installed.

Once the rafter was in I installed the 2nd to last piece of roofing over it.  Still have one more on that side to put in but want to wait until the front is finished

Starting to take shape.

Now I'm smoked so it's time to take a shower, have a drink (or two) and wait for my wife to arrive (she's coming out for the weekend to keep me company while I bust my hump getting the roof done.

I'm pretty sore now so likely will start slow tomorrow but hope to really get a lot done!  The big challenge will be removing the roof off the old porch but once that's done it should go pretty well since it's a straight set of rafters with no corners, no cutting roofing, no tricky miter cuts etc :)

Here's hoping!

Gary O

'It's been a long day of going up an down the ladder over and over again....take up a sheet, measure and mark it for cutting, bring it down, cut it, take it back up, check it, screw it down, go back down, get another sheet, take it up, measure and mark it, take it down and then back up to screw it down...repeat all day then drink whiskey! ;)  It helps with the pain'

You sure yer not me?

Luvin' this thread, OJ

Keep on keepin' on