Recent posts

Owner-Builder Projects / engineering calculations
Last post by jer4257 - February 05, 2024, 03:32:14 PM
Hi. I'm Jeremy. I'm ne here. I bought the country cottage plans for a 20' by 34' two story house. I am working on the buulding permit in Aberdeen Washington. The building department needs engineering calculations. Do those already exist?
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Sure enjoyed our home buil...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 05, 2024, 09:37:52 AM
Wow!  So sorry to hear!  Hopefully Insurance will build you a new one?
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 05, 2024, 08:46:28 AM
I forgot to post this one...meanwhile, since moving everything, I'm finally forced to make the console I planned on making so I can have my Tri-Metric meter, Autogen start switch and AIMS Inverter remote all located inside the cabin where I usually sit.  So, I'll be working on that this week (already started) and hope to get at least some of it installed this coming weekend!  Wish me luck!

General Forum / Re: Well heck... this thing is...
Last post by OlJarhead - February 05, 2024, 08:44:01 AM
Nice to see ya!  and yes some of us are still sticking around :)  Specially MD and myself but I see others from time to time too.

Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - February 04, 2024, 05:38:27 PM
Version 3.4.8 - 02.04.2024
- Added a Sheathing Reset button in the Sheathing tab of the Global Settings.
- Added Dimension Layer 5 specfically for framing/elevation auto-dimensions (Layer tab of the global settings).
- Enabled editing of dimensions for framing/elevation dimensions (rectangular walls only).

Tutorial 46 - Editing Framing Dimensions (7:34 min.)

https://youtu.be/Pg6__IoAars
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x34 2-story universal in...
Last post by Maine homestead - February 04, 2024, 10:40:49 AM
Resurrecting this forum, hopefully that is okay. 

First, thank you for creating this detailed post on your build of the universal cottage! It has really inspired us and answered a lot of questions. We are looking to build the same house but just extend the length to 36ft. We will be building in Maine so the climate will be similar to yours. I think the main differences we are going to make is using roof trusses 7:10 pitch and Ijoist floors. I'm considering 16 oc framing instead of 24 oc. I see a lot of mixed reviews on 24 oc framing (straightening the walls is harder, walls shake when doors are closed, etc).

I'm just curious how your house is holding up. Is there anything you would have liked to have done differently during the original build? Have you encountered any moisture issues? Any recommendations you would make to someone who wants to build this same house?

General Forum / Re: Suggestions for sealing a ...
Last post by Rose - February 03, 2024, 10:13:57 AM
Quote from: Ernest T. Bass on June 22, 2007, 11:01:40 PMWe're going to try building a cob bathtub, and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for the best way to waterproof it. We framed the rough shape of the tub with wood, and plan on cobbing the whole thing soon. I read of a lady who sealed a tub with hemp oil and had good results, but problems with leaking around the drain forced her to take it down. We plan on using hemp oil a lot in the house, but I'm not sure if it's THAT water resistant. We'd rather not have to reapply the oil every six months or something like that, also.. I was wondering if a lime plaster type of finish might be the way to go?

Any thoughts?
Andrew
When waterproofing clay pots I have found pitch the be the best at waterproofing. I am here looking for the same answer because a pitch tub would be pretty but I have seen lots of cob tubs that look great but I don't know what they use. I've seen then in wite and tan paints
General Forum / Well heck... this thing is sti...
Last post by NM_Shooter - February 02, 2024, 05:27:53 PM
I'm happy to see this forum still thriving. 
I might need to change my username as we have relocated to KS.  I have plenty of new property projects in mind and I know of no better place to get info.  I can tell I have a lot of your projects to catch up on. 
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Sure enjoyed our home buil...
Last post by jsahara24 - February 02, 2024, 07:53:53 AM
Wow, so sorry this happened to you....this is one of my biggest fears....

Not sure what to say other than remember things can be replaced, people can't, so remember to be thankful that you and your family are safe......
Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - February 02, 2024, 02:10:21 AM
Version 3.4.7 - 02.01.2024
- Updated the Columns tab of the Global Settings with new parameters.
- Added glazing color and opacity parameters to the Sheathing tab of the Global Settings.

The Columns tab now includes Custom and Blank under Column Type.

Up until now the glass color and opacity has been hard coded in to the plugin, now the user can adjust these values if desired.