Texas 20 x 42 1-1/2 story

Started by smcdaniel345, March 30, 2009, 07:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smcdaniel345

Apologies to anyone who was trying to follow this thread.  We spent the summer in Lockhart in a camper and didn't get internet access up and running until just recently.  Over the summer, we were able to get all the sheathing up, the roof almost finished and most of the windows in. 

This is some of where we are at now:

We are wrapping the entire house in 1/2 foam board with a built in radiant barrier to assist with the passive solar properties.  We will be installing HardiPlank siding soon.  We still have a ways to go, but it's coming along.

I will load more pictures later when my computer quits acting up.

poppy

Thanks for the update.

So the radiant barrier is facing out?  And you will have strapping between it and the HardiPlank?

The foam board with radiant barrier that I'm used to seeing is more shiny.  What brand are you using?

smcdaniel345

Yes the radiant barrier faces outwards.  And there will be strapping to provide that air gap that's necessary for the radiant barrier to be effective.  And it is shiny when the sun's out.  That picture was taken when a bad storm was gearing up.

The brand is Super Tuff-R by Dow. http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/insulation/supertuffr.htm

We put 3/4 inch on the roof and 1/2 on the walls.

poppy

Thanks for the quick reply and for confirming that the radiant barrier is facing out.  The "passive solar properties" comment was what got me confused.   ???

Typically when someone is talking about passive solar they mean for heat gain in a cold climate, and I didn't figure that you needed heat in Texas.  :D

I am familiar with the Dow product and have thought about using it under the floor; not sure yet.

texasgun

Any progress on the pictures would love to see your progress and pictures of the build up to the point you left off the first time.  [cool]
WEST TEXAS

smcdaniel345

Some recent pictures.  Sorry we don't have more.  (And haven't gotten farther)  But my wonderful husband has decided to proceed with the farm - so now we have 3 calves and a horse and 19 chickens.  Creates a lot of chores and slows down the rest of it.

And we had a metal garage put in.