Started by Alasdair, May 05, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasdair

The weekend's progress

And in good countryplans tradition

Hope to have some walls up by next weekend

Al

phalynx

Moving right along.  Each little success empowers you to tackle the next.  It sure is fun....  Looking good there.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Alasdair on May 29, 2009, 02:05:25 PM
When it comes to wells, quite a bit more than most of us! I'm glad to have your seal of approval.  :)

Thanks, Al....even though it may have been a baby seal..... [waiting]

....umm ??? ....that was sick..... d*
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

....  She can dance too :)

Al, any chances of seeing you there on the deck with pipes and a kilt? rofl

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Alasdair

As you requested ...

But I don't see what's funny about it...

;)

MountainDon

Funny would be Glenn in a kilt.      rofl rofl rofl
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I think that would make a lot of people Ralph....

I meant bagpipes.... :)

Now you look rather dashing, Al.

Me in a kilt ???

Like this?

When I think of Scottish dancing I think of Kilts and Bagpipes.  

Somehow I think I wouldn't look so hot.  [rofl2]

Anita looks great dancing on the deck - I should leave well enough alone d* :)

glenn kangiser

Just for giggles I looked up my country traditional dress - Lithuania

...and came up with this....

Is it true? Could I really look like that?

Alasdair

You mean to say - you don't look like that? But I always thought ...

Anyhow here's the pic's of the weekends progress.

Friday after work and we're loaded up with goodies ... this freed up a little more of our living room!

Framing ...

Anita makes me wear this bag on my head when she's sick of the sight of me..

Squaring things up with a ratchet strap.

Rain stopped play early today but I'll get the last wall up tomorrow and pick up the metal for the roof on Tuesday.
Can't wait to get dried in and out of the flies!

Al and Anita

glenn kangiser

So you are a two bag date, eh? , Al. hmm

One for your head and one for her head in case yours falls off? ::)

Looks good, Al and Anita. :)

Redoverfarm

Making good progress AL.  Once the roof is on and dried in you can switch to a lower gear somewhat.  ;D

Alasdair

Well, my roofing didn't arrive when it was supposed to but we got the rest of the walls up and paper on ...

Some of the paper they sold me had the writing the wrong way up but we didn't return it - I'll be expecting a discount on my next purchases though!

An old shipmate called into our part of the world so we took a break this weekend and took a trip to Prince Edward Island. It was Anne-tastic!

Hoping to get the roof on this week

Al and Anne-ita

phalynx

Great progress.  At least they only printed your plastic wrap upside down.  The silly nuts at the plant were completely off they day mine was made.  They printed the words on the back of my plastic.  Really ruined my day.  Looking at your wrap now makes me think my tires are upside down on my truck..  I just can't win.

glenn kangiser

Wish you two lived closer, Al and Anita.  

I'd love to pull them there little pig tails - or at least dip them in the ink well. [waiting]

Great job on the building.  

At least they managed to get the central portion of the house wrap in the right place. hmm

Alasdair

The week's progress ...

Getting the ridge board up

rafters going on

There was a bit of head scratching involved in framing the gable overhang but I got there in the end

first sheet of sheathing going on

installing the strapping to bear the metal roof - I bought steel from the farmers coop - lots of the barns here have the same steel on them and plenty of them are 50+ years old

Hope to be wind and watertight by next weekend!
Al and Anita

glenn kangiser

Looks great, Al and Anita.  Pros already. :)

Redoverfarm

Al good job.  On the false rafter if you had someone to help you could have attached the supports (face nailed) to the last rafter after measuring the notch outs of the second rafter and put it up in one piece.   That way you would have only had to nail them to the 3rd rafer (face nail) and down into the second rafter through your supports.  Oh Well you "Got -r. done" which is the important thing.

soomb

So the rafter was notched to allow the "outrigers" (not sure what to call them)?
Live- Phoenix, Relax- Payson

Redoverfarm

Some call them standouts.  The last rafter on the house is notched. The supports or standouts are cut long enough to reach from the inside of the false rafter to the 2nd rafter on the house.  They are face nailed on the false rafter(outside) and on the 2nd rafter on the house.  Then nailed down onto the edge of the first rafter of the house (notched rafter)

Alasdair

John,
   When I built the standouts I was expecting to put the false rafters up myself. I did the first one alone by clamping a L shaped block to fascia to hold the bottom end of the rafter and sliding it down from the top. Worked OK but I was glad to have a neighbour help with the other three!
   A friend back home has an easier method which I would have used if I hadn't thought I would be doing it by myself. He simply makes the last true rafter a little smaller than the others (The same length but sitting lower on the plate and ridge) builds the whole gable ladder down below and slides the whole thing up the small end rafter. Much quicker, but a little heavy if you are alone. The sarking boards (roof decking) hold the ladder up as much as the support of the rafter.

Al

Alasdair

No we have not been on holiday - perish the thought! We took one weekend off for a family wedding - a great time!
Apologies though to friends, family and fellow country planners for being so slack about updates. We moved out of our rental at the start of the month and are currently staying with neighbours (didn't know how much we lucked out when we bought the land but all our neighbours are fantastic!) The dial up connection we now have is painfully slow - it took 30mins to upload the one picture. Apparently the provincial govt. has promised all Nova Scoitians high speed connections within a year but I'll believe that when I see it! I promise I will take a trip to somewhere with high speed and put on a bunch more pictures.

Anyway, thanks to inlaws and other friends and family that stuck around after the wedding we have made some good progress on the cabin. (Although everything still takes twice as long and costs thrice as much as you initially think!)
We have a roof, chimney, plumbing, doors and windows, boards on three sides and should have the bulk of the exterior work finished by the end of this weekend I hope.

Here's the one picture I had the patience to up load.

More to come soon I hope!
Al and Anita

Mike 870

Wow, looks really great!  I like the color combo of the roof and siding.

poppy

Your cabin looks really good. [cool]

I am curious about one thing.  I noticed that the roof strapping allowed for open channels running up the roof from the eves.

Is that for venting, and if so what kind of ridge vent did you use?

Alasdair

Poppy, yes the strapping also provides venting, the ridge venting is provided at the ridge cap by the steel's profile giving a gap of about 1/2 inch - some sections were filled in with foam draft strip others with insect screen.

Here's some more progress pics.

ready for the roof

the strapping also makes for good footing

siding going on

Harry my building inspector looking pretty happy (thank goodness! ;))

A couple of visitors

my attempts at plumbing - and yes it all works! :)

itchylation going in

We still had time to do a little gardening

and  get some firewood - with help from the neighbours

Thanks for looking,
Al and Anita

Beavers

Wow, looks great!  [cool]

Gotta feel good to be in the home stretch. 

I have a question on your roof.  What is the benefit of the strapping, other than making it easier to work on the roof?  Do you not need to vent the ceiling then?  ???

Oh yeah...the board and batten looks awesome.  ;D