12 x 24 in Cape Breton

Started by Alasdair, May 05, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtman

Turned out very nice indeed! Belated congrats on the baby! Can't wait to follow the building of the new house.

Redoverfarm

Nice work.  Looks like a home now instead of a house.

glenn kangiser

Really nice, Al and Anita. 

Storage, garden, rock work, and little Sammy's already having himself a brew.  :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jeff922

Great job you guys!  Real attention to detail.  I need to make a similar ladder to our sleeping loft.  It looks like there is a birds-mouth type cut where it rests on the loft?  Is the ladder attached permanently or removeable?  Also, looks like the treads slide in from the back (blind dado)? 
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

jdhen

Al, Do you have any more pics documenting the construction of the built in bench?  Or could you describe the details of it's construction?
I'd like to do something very similar.  I think everything looks great!
Jesse
Jesse

Sassy

Looking very nice!  You really used the space well!   8)  The little one is sure a cutie!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Alasdair

Thanks for all the nice comments,

Jeff - The ships ladder is just as you describe it and it is removeable. It is fixed above with a couple of sliding bolts. Loved your cottage by the way and am currently suffering from a little tool/workshop envy... ;)

here are a few study pics I took before I made them hope they are helpful

Jdhen - here is a pic of the bench being made and some better pics of the ones i copied it from. (One day I will finish it - perhaps when we move into the bigger house!)

My pal Alan who built the other benches is a boat builder and I got loads of great ideas from him.

Sassy - he sure is cute isn't he? :D

Redoverfarm

I thought I saw a banjo in the bunch. ;)

Alasdair

Sure is.  :D
I play a tenor myself but I love the 5 string stuff too :)

Jeff922

Thanks so much for the pics!  I'm starting to get a concept visualized.  :D
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Alasdair on August 05, 2010, 07:25:57 PM
Sure is.  :D
I play a tenor myself but I love the 5 string stuff too :)

My son is into Old Time playing Claw Hammer style.  Take a while for it to download.  Not real professional video but I enjoy.

Alasdair

I put railings on the deck last weekend. The cabin has since been described as "spiffy" which I decided to take as a compliment..  ;)

Just when I was posting this I had a visitor! This little guy flew in and had to be helped out. Anita already caught one in the house a couple of months ago. They are at the feeder all day having battles and squabbles. Pretty fun to watch :D
Sorry about the quality of the video the camara is not really meant for it.

glenn kangiser

We occasionally get one in our porch but tons of them eating about a quart of sugar water a day or two.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

freezengirl

Very sharp looking cabin you built!

considerations

Spiffy IS a compliment, and well deserved.  Great progress and good looking too.  I enjoyed the hummer adventure, it pleases me to see the care with which the rescue was accomplished.  I've had two in the house, both arriving in the mouth of my youngest cat.  Totally freaked out, but undamaged.  I think he brought them to me to show off.  I raised the feeder about 8' and seemed to have ended the issue.

Alasdair

Here's a few winter pics of around the cabin
The front steps on Wednesday morning...

The view...

Here's the top of a 4ft pole marking the well head!

The little fella's first snow angel!

MountainDon

So you're trying to say you get a little snow?    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

I guess that is what you call a "skiff" up north.  ;)  Do you wish you would have put a solid roof in front of the door?  Stay Warm.

glenn kangiser

Way too much snow, Al.  I can think of a lot better things to do than go out in it..... [ouch]

considerations

"The front steps on Wednesday morning..."

There are two white things outside the door on your step.  One of them is the snow built up on the storm door...what is the other one? it looks like the back side of an appliance?

Alasdair

Considerations,
It's the side of the caravan you can see in the other pictures. We parked it there for the winter as a wind break and cold room. The snow drifted on the other side of the caravan was really deep. This was a serious matter ....
the beer was in the caravan... :o  ;)

MountainDon

Ooopps, I was slow....
It's the RV that's in the 5th picture, camouflaged by the snow.   ;D

If was was standing on the other side of the ocean I'd call it a caravan too.  ;)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

On a positive note, Al, I bet the beer was cold....