New old truck --what should I do first

Started by Windpower, January 30, 2011, 11:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

It is a 2005 F250 with the 6 L turbo diesel with towing package (actually looks as if it was never used not even paint worn off the receiver)

It will be the main 'farm truck'

It runs well but at 111,000 mile I assume it can use some tlc

I am going to take it to the dealer for an oil change, transmission fluid change (automatic) and lube -- but what else is recommended ? 

Should I add any 'injector cleaner'  additives ?

Seafoam got mixed reviews at a Ford Diesel forum ....

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

I don't have a diesel anymore but personally I do not believe fuel additives are necessary for any engine type unless the fuel is going to be stored for prolonged periods. I've had injected gasoline engines hit 250,000 miles without ever having a fuel additive. Plain regular gasoline. But I do use Stabil in any gasoline I store.   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

Thanks Don

I use stabil too -- It is amazing how fast gas goes bad here in the midwest-- I just took my roto tiller in for a tune up -- the gas was bad already from this last spring -- wouldn't start

I think I'll add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the mix  it really makes the Cessna run smoother

peternap

I use Diesel Kleen. I'm not sure if it helps or not but it doesn't hurt.
I use it in the generators, truck and tractor.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

peternap

Quote from: peternap on January 30, 2011, 11:54:54 AM
I use Diesel Kleen. I'm not sure if it helps or not but it doesn't hurt.
I use it in the generators, truck and tractor.

MMO is great stuff and mostly synthetic Wintergreen oil.
I use it in my version of Ed's Red gun cleaning solution too.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

glenn kangiser

I can't think of too much you need to do on a fairly low mileage diesel.  If the place is qualified you might have them check band adjustments.  

Nearly all factory torque converters are weak but not a problem until time for repair - then upgrade it.

Depends on what you want to do - but for more cheap power - make sure the exhaust and air are not restricted by the factory supplied accessories.  4 inch straight pipe can bring up the horsepower as well as an unrestricted air filter on a Dodge.  Check Ford forums as I am a Dodge guy.  Chips can add easy horsepower on a Dodge - I only use a mild one - about 65 horse.... not sure about Ford.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

On my Ford 7.3L I switched to Amsoil after the factory warrant period expired. Although the mileage might be low by some caparisons I have 160K and pushing for 200-250K.  It did seem to boost the MPG somewhat not to mention the easier starting in the winter.  But at 16 qts for an oil change was one of the biggest advantages only having to change the oil every 25K ( 12.5 filter intermediately).  Yes the cost per qt is higher but when figuring 16 qts every 5-7.5K miles the savings is substantial (16 qts X 5  for the same time period of 25K). Not to mention the cost of the filter for each change but also if you are not changing your own and have a garage to change it the added labor rate of change times 5 oil changes really adds up.  They also carry a complete line of fuel and differntial treatments.

Now if they can just build a body that will last as long as their engines I will set.

Windpower

Thanks Pete and Glenn

I couldn't  afford the dodge cummins available around here

my old neighbor has a dodge with the Cummins 6  a 93 IIRC-- he still has it and really likes it

He uses it to haul his custom 20 foot enclosed trailer

Here's a youtube of one of the cars dave hauls in his trailer (He got a flat going out to Nevada so Jeff just drove the Ultima the last 200 miles to the competition

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/projects.aspx?projectid=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnpEG8dGkQY

Windpower

Thanks Red

I have heard of Amsoil but I am not familiar with the products

Is it better than Mobil 1 ?

ScottA

Get the brakes checked. Lube, oil, filter and you should be good.

zion-diy

windpower, one of the advantages to the (pure) synthetic oils, is you really shouldn't have to change the oil. pull the filter at a normal cycle,5 to 7k, and top off the oil. for some reason, people think the oil is cleaning the engine. I had someone tell me once that my oil wasn't working because it didn't look dirty enough on the dipstick. d* oil, lubricates, filters filter. that's their job. real synthetics, like amsoil, do not break down like a petroleum based oil. therefore, unless overheated or abused in some way it should retain it's molecular characteristics forever.
you have to beware, that a lot of oils today are claiming synthetic, but are really a hybrid mixture. Amsoil is one of the true pure synthetic oils.
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

considerations

"one of the advantages to the (pure) synthetic oils, is you really shouldn't have to change the oil"

Hmmm, think it would be good for the gens?

MountainDon

Quote from: considerations on January 31, 2011, 07:37:11 PM

Hmmm, think it would be good for the gens?

Depends on the quality of the filter. Many gens have nothing.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

Wednesday morning I started the new truck and moved it so I could get the 2 feet of snow off the driveway

It left a long red oily trail in the snow

the Ford dealer says that the trans case is cracked and needs $4000 replacement

DAMN

DAMN

DAMN

Redoverfarm

Sorry to hear that.  Two options available.  On the short term JB Weld.  Long term search for a used part. 

OlJarhead

Sorry to hear it :(

We have several 6l fords at work and none seem to make it past the 150k miles point :(  Very poor work trucks.

We finally broke down and bought 4 new dodges.

HOWEVER, those trucks were abused so that could be part of the issue.

On to yours:  I drove by a lot today and saw a LOW LOW price of $479 PER MONTH for a 4 door jeep which lead me to realize that I could spend $6000 EACH AND EVERY YEAR on my Cherokee and save money (since I don't have to pay the high insurance to have a new rig that I owe on since i don't owe)...so the moral to the story?  It's cheaper to fix the truck and drive it forever then to buy a new one.

Again, sorry for the trouble, sounds like you got a lemon -- are there lemon laws in your state? -- but maybe with a new tranny you will get some years out of it and be ahead in the end :) 

diyfrank

The 6.0's aren't really a bad engine. The first years 03 & 04 had some issues but the 05's are much better. The factory trans in the F- series and super duties have a weak slow shift that leaves a lot to be desired. Nobody likes finding their new vehicle needs work but on the positive side,$4000 will get you a heavy duty rebuild that you will love.

I have two 7.3 ford diesels, I use the diesel service additive in and notice a much cleaner/smoother running engine. It could just be in my head but I really think it helps.

Here's a link to some 6.0 info http://powerstrokehelp.com/6liter/6-0_main.asp
Home is where you make it

Windpower

Well I have learned a lot about this truck

there was a customer satisfaction campaign but it is now expired (05B27)

a defective snap ring rotates out of position when the truck is put into reverse and punches a hole in the case

Ford only contacted users with the snow plow package because they knew they would see this problem first

most of the non-snow plow units would be out of warranty when the defective snap ring blows a hole in the case

bingo, more money for FoMoCo for new trans replacements and less money fixing a known defect

I had a Pinto, too ---- but fortunately never got rear-ended and incinerated because Ford figured it was cheaper to pay off the law suits than to fix the gas tank problem

anyway this link explains the problem

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-06.php

I found a local shop that will install a Jasper rebuilt trans for 3500 installed -- 3 yr 100,000 warranty

another shop will do it for 2000 - 2500 -- 1 year warranty (might be able to weld up the hole)

so I have some options

Right now I am leaning toward the Jasper

Then later this year replace the EGR cooler and oil cooler with the Bullet Proof units

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=147

and cure the oil cooler problem here

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Articles.asp?ID=161

bottom line is I didn't do my home work first

but it is possible to make it a solid reliable truck according to information from this Ford Truck forum

It is an amazing source of information

I joined as "White F250"

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/