What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

sounds really rough Don.   ;D  I only got a handful of blackberries today, but that was in part because it was just to hot to stay out there any longer.

glenn kangiser

Sassy is working today so I had to cook for myself. [waiting]

Yesterday Sassy reminded me to stop for some of the great corn they had at the store - 3 for .99 - not cheap but boy was it good. (Monsanto?) [noidea'

I found the Italian sausage that was on sale after I asked (and a nice Angus chuck roast). d*

I should not shop or cook when I'm hungry, but I was so hungry, my big guts were eating my little guts... [scared]

I started a nice medium sized oak fire in the barbecue and threw on some Italian sausage and the well marbled chuck roast with Montreal steak seasoning and an ear of corn still in the husk.

A few slices of the roast (it was more like a very thick steak) and a bit of ketchup to go with the sausage... about 3 quarts of raspberry ice tea with a splash of apple cider vinegar (makes a drink similar to an old time acid) and I'm stuffed like a roasted pig with an apple in it's mouth.

As Dennis the Menace used to say, Grub was fine and I'm full as a tick.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Glenn you go to extremes when you cook for a single.  I usually just find something that I can pop in the microwave.  Not that I am too lazy to cook but I hate to wash dishes.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on July 04, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
Sassy is working today so I had to cook for myself. [waiting]

Yesterday Sassy reminded me to stop for some of the great corn they had at the store - 3 for .99 - not cheap but boy was it good. (Monsanto?) [noidea'

I found the Italian sausage that was on sale after I asked (and a nice Angus chuck roast). d*

I should not shop or cook when I'm hungry, but I was so hungry, my big guts were eating my little guts... [scared]

I started a nice medium sized oak fire in the barbecue and threw on some Italian sausage and the well marbled chuck roast with Montreal steak seasoning and an ear of corn still in the husk.

A few slices of the roast (it was more like a very thick steak) and a bit of ketchup to go with the sausage... about 3 quarts of raspberry ice tea with a splash of apple cider vinegar (makes a drink similar to an old time acid) and I'm stuffed like a roasted pig with an apple in it's mouth.

As Dennis the Menace used to say, Grub was fine and I'm full as a tick.  :)

I was going to invite you over for dinner and seeing how you made this post at 1:40 I still will. You went all out for lunch didn't you [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry] [hungry]

Oh ya and we have A/C
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

ScottA

Sirloin steak, baked beans and potato salad. Doesn't get any better than that.

Whitlock

All my sweet potatos that I put up have sprouted are they still good to eat?????

PEG688

Quote from: Whitlock on July 04, 2009, 07:22:48 PM

All my sweet potatos that I put up have sprouted are they still good to eat?????

I consulted with my wife she says as long as they are not soft they'll be fine. If they are soft they are almost rotten.

G/L Happy eating PEG  :)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Whitlock

glenn kangiser

Whitlock felt sorry for me, so invited me over for dinner --- or maybe Flutterby did, but at any rate I got to eat chicken and baked beans and sweet potato fries. 

I furnished desert - Ice Cream per their request.  Couldn't sucker them into the mediocre peanut butter and chocolate.  W said that was just wrong.  It is right if it is good but this was only fair.... so I took Butter Pecan, which was good. Flutterby made it into sundaes for us. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Curtis

I made up a 14oz Buffalo steak with a salad.

Simple and good.

Local grocer meat counter had buffalo for $6/lb or something, and it was always really good in the past, this time was no exception! Good stuff.
-Curtis

Drew

Dan makes this granola with homemade yogurt so good you could open a bed and breakfast on the strength of it alone. 

She taught me how to make the granola.  Once I get the yogurt I'm quitting my day job...

Homegrown Tomatoes

Last night's dinner was chicken baked with all the stuff coming out of the garden and a big skilled of cornbread laced with zucchini (hey, I've got to use it somewhere!)  It was pretty yummy, but what's more remarkable was that it was cool enough in Oklahoma today to use the oven!

MountainDon

A pork, rice and green chili casserole.

1/2 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup coarse cut onion
1/2 cup coarse cut celery
1/2 cup coarse cut tomato
1 cup El Pinto green chili sauce. (El Pinto sauce is very chunky like a good salsa, not watery or filled with flour or cornstarch)
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup chicken stock
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

no picture of the meal. 

but I smoked a pork shoulder from a pig that I shot last weekend.  small roaster, 3 pounds.  on the smoke at 2ish when I got home, off around 8ish.  added some jalapeno sausage and mac-n-cheese to round it out.  wifes out hollerin with the girls tonight, just me and the kids.  it was good. 

Redoverfarm

Sounds good Muldoon. I can't ever remember having wild pig before.  About everything else though.  Is it similar to domestic pork or does it have that little "twang" to it.

As for us it was Veggie night.  Kids at Grandmothers and over stay to make hay the next day.  So the DW and myself had crookneck squash and fresh corn on the cob. 

muldoon

hey red, sorry I wasn't ignoring you - I just have not been back to this thread since the last posting. 

The wild hog I take is quite lean, with commercial pork being significantly fattier than what I hunt.  It also does not have any twang to it at all, but I tend to be selective in what I shoot.  The larger hogs (200+ pounds) get raunchy in my opinion and tend to stink.  They stink alive and they stink dead, I dont eat them as I wont eat something that stinks.  Hell, that 400 pound sow I did last fall the coyotes wouldnt even touch it.  But the 50-80 pounders - sweet sweet good ness.

muldoon

spare ribs cut down to st. louis style cut.  smoked for 6.5 hours.  awesome. 

rick91351

Muldoon - I'm about to save your life.  Get those cooled down... wrap them in foil and in a cooler and next day them to me. They will undoubtedly raise your triglycerides and stuff like that to an unsafe level.  But for you Muldoon I will sacrifice myself - I will eat them for you.  I then will e-mail you a description of how good they were.  Yes indeed all this to lower your triglycerides and stuff like that down to a safe level.  Hey we got to watch out for each other man!

rlr     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

muldoon

thanks for thinking about me rick, I appreciate the sacrifice your willing to make. 
I think I'm going to risk it for now tho, still 'preciate the offer. 

glenn kangiser

Those look great - especially since Sassy hasn't returned from work and I'm cooking for myself. :(

Homegrown Tomatoes

So, whatcha cooking, Glenn?  Kids made dinner tonight.  They boiled hotdogs, served them on whole wheat bread with ample mustard.  To make it "healthy" they sliced up some celery sticks to go with it, and poured us all a glass of milk.  Personally, I think the tuna sandwiches they made on homemade buns here a while back were better, but the hotdogs weren't bad... they were Hebrew National, so better than the cheapy ones.

MountainDon

I love Nathan's hot dogs! We don't have them very often tho'.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

My standard emergency cook for myself meal is instant mashed potatoes.  3 minutes. :)

Tonight I had left over stir fry with our garden vegetables.

Windpower

I made a batch of this tonight

Now we have to age it till saturday to take it out to the chilli cook out at the airport

This is the best chilli ever

Brisket is best (I'll bet elk is outstanding too)

only use a tablespoon of the Chipotles in Adobo sauce -- this stuff is seriously HOT

you can copy it from here

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ding-Dong-Eight-Alarm-Chili-108488

Bill Cosby;s Ding Dong 8-alarm Chilli

yield: Makes 8 (BIG) servings

active time: 1 3/4 hr

total time: 6 1/2 hr (plus 1 to 2 days for flavors to develop) 3 days is better

'80S THE COSBY SHOW
In the well-appointed Huxtable kitchen ("The Drum Major" first aired on February 4, 1988), Cliff explains to his family...

more › Ingredients

2 oz dried ancho chiles (4 large), stemmed and seeded
6 large garlic cloves, 3 of them finely chopped
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (not pure chile)
4 lb well-marbled beef brisket or boneless chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces
3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
1 (28- to 32-oz) can whole tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup   1 Tablespoon canned chipotle chiles in adobo (this stuff is dangerous but it adds a wonderful flavor)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 lb white onions, chopped (4 cups)
1 tablespoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican), crumbled
1 to 4 fresh serrano or other small green chiles, finely chopped, including seeds (1 is fine for most tastes; 4 is the eight-alarm version)
1 (12-oz) bottle beer (not dark)
2 cups water
2 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans (optional; 30 oz), rinsed if canned

Accompaniments: cubed avocado; chopped white onion; shredded Cheddar; chopped fresh cilantro; sour cream
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.