What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

We always barbecue a bunch of extra steaks then I can make rolled tacos like my men used to bring to work and share with me.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Steak!!  MMMM!!

What's your favorites cut of beef to grill?

I/we lean heavily towards Rib-Eye or NY Strip... haven't had one in quite a while...  :(
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

We have a store here that has Angus steak and the Chuck is well marbled and tastes so good we prefer it to the better cuts -- often it is about $3 per lb.

We just put McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and grill it.  [hungry]

Lately Whitlock and wife and we have been doing a weekly or so barbecue together.  It's always enjoyable.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Well Don I heard this from a Canadian friend who transplanted himself here some 50 years ago.  He lived far north in Canada.  He said that his dad would mix the bri until a potato would float.  Without mentioning any names he went by "Hands of Stone" in his profession.

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser link=topic=3439.msg 68634#msg 68634 date=1224128288We have a store here that has Angus steak and the Chuck is well marbled and tastes so good we prefer it to the better cuts -- often it is about $3 per lb.We just put McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning and grill it.  [hungry]Lately Whitlock and wife and we have been doing a weekly or so barbecue together.  It's always enjoyable.

No barbecue tonight. But your in for a treat with the wife's famous venison tacos [hungry]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

glenn kangiser

Homegrown Tomatoes

The steaks I made last night were top sirloins... they were delectable.  (The leftovers will go with DH to work this week, but we shared one when they were done.) I only meant to cook them to medium/medium-well but they were pretty well done when I got them off.  However, they were still really tender and juicy, so that's fine.  I marinated them in pineapple and orange juice and Korean soy sauce (not that Kikkoman junk)  for 72 hours and they were really tasty and tender.

I was thinking of maybe making taco soup or turkey chili tonight for supper.  It's kind of chilly, but the sun is out and beautiful today. 

muldoon

I love steaks too, mostly do rib eyes, sometimes tbones. 

Best marinade by far I have found is the simple one.  drizzle olive oil on the meat, sprinkle with crushed black pepper and light sea or kosher salt - do the same to both sides.   Out them in a ziplock in the fridge overnight and on the grill the next day over some hot mesquite hearts. 

I think I'm going to have to stop at the store on the way home now.

apaknad

i have what i think is a real good marinade recipe for meats. if anyone wants it i will post.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Redoverfarm

HT they had some turkey chilli at the cookoff.  Just like a variety bean soup but turkey substituted for beef and obmission of the tomato sauce. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: apaknad on October 16, 2008, 02:47:19 PM
i have what i think is a real good marinade recipe for meats. if anyone wants it i will post.
please do...I'm always open to new ideas

apaknad

ok HT, here's the recipe:(BTW, please let me know what kind of soy sauce you feel is better than kikkoman's and where to get it).

Marinade: general use for all meats(especially beef).

1C soy sauce
1C olive oil
1/2C brown sugar
2TBS grated ginger or 1TBS dry
1/2tsp fresh ground pepper
4 cloves garlic
red pepper flakes to taste
1C minced onions or shallots
1TBS dry mustard or 2TBS dijon
zest and juice from 1/2 lime
1/2C light red wine

Marinate 4-24 hrs in fridge

unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Sounds good, Dan.

We just got back from Whitlock's place where we had a great venison Taco dinner made by his wife along with a great ginger cake for dessert. 

I ate until I was ready to explode...or that may have been from the Navy bean soup my other neighbor fed me for lunch... d* 

Homegrown Tomatoes

That does sound good, Dan.  Tonight I think I'm making turkey chili... and some sort of bread.  I have a bread recipe that dill and cottage cheese in it, and it goes over well with the family (read: no leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :-\)    It turned off a little chilly the past few days, and the wind is blowing like crazy....  perfect chili or stew weather.  Last night it was a thrown-together concoction of baked chicken with a garlic sauce, steamed cabbage, and minty walnut brownies for dessert (I know, what a combo, but I was pressed for time with homeschooling and with house-hunting all over the place yesterday, and trying to use up stuff that needs to be used up.)

Whitlock

Glenn there is a rumor that dinner is at your house tomorrow night [cool]

glenn kangiser

That is true and it is still a bit up in the air as to time as we are not sure what time the guest of honor is going to arrive and what he will want to do.  We may make it lunch but at any rate we can have a surprise photo op for the Countryplans people.  As soon as I hear from him I will give you a call and we will set things up.  I got a message he was working  late and laptop was on the fritz.

:)

Whitlock

Didn't know there was going to be a guest [cool]
We need to get you a steam whistle. So I know when dinners ready heh

glenn kangiser

I actually made a steam whistle for a customer one time - seems he may have been in Canada.  It worked well.

Yup -- a mystery guest forum member from way far away and maybe even another new forum member with loads of enlightenment for the unsuspecting... heh

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 25, 2008, 01:06:59 AM
I actually made a steam whistle for a customer one time - seems he may have been in Canada.  It worked well.

Yup -- a mystery guest forum member from way far away and maybe even another new forum member with loads of enlightenment for the unsuspecting... heh

Enlightenment and unsuspecting ???I hope this has nothing to do with politics d*

glenn kangiser

rofl --- if I can get him to drop by it will be a lively time....  he was out of town yesterday though.  Our new member - Spook01.  I think you met him at Carla's briefly. 

He has stories that can make your hair curl -- the ones he can tell us without having to kill us..... :)

glenn kangiser

I was going to put the mystery dinner guest here, but thinking about it decided it would mess up the What's for Dinner topic so you have to find out in the Underground Cabin thread.

We had a barbecue with Whitlock and wife, the mystery guest, Sassy and I.  Tri-tip and sirloin steak, corn, spanish rice, salad and other stuff Sassy made.  Not too bad. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yeah Glenn, I think Sassy's kind of right about the beard.... It's kind of a wonder that the birds aren't trying to perch there and make a nest.   ;D  Looks about like my dad's beard when he doesn't trim it. 

Sounds like y'all had a good time. 

Dinner tonight here was a bowl of yogurt.  I hit the store afterwards finally, reluctantly, and spent about $80 on four puny bags of groceries.... >:(  Did get the first cranberries I've seen in the store so far this year... shipped in from Wisconsin of all places... DH and the kids love cranberry salad.  Got lamb on sale for $3.98 for a one pound package... I'll try to sneak it in to stew or chili and see if DH notices he's been duped.  (Kind of a Folger's switch... he swears he can taste "goat" or "sheep" taste in mutton or lamb or goat meat... I wanna see if he really can.)

glenn kangiser

That's tricky - you are fortunate he doesn't read the forum and know what you are up to.

The beard - I am the only person I know who could grow a garden just by adding seeds and water after work on a dusty day with the Bobcat.... [idea]  Maybe drool would work for irrigation hmm

Yeah ... OK ... I cut it off.  Down to about an inch and a half long anyway - that should be good for a year.  Didn't want to make muldoon think I was crazy. [crz]

...and yes ...we had a great time.  muldoon is a great guy.  I sent him home with a bag of hops that I had growing on my RV garage planter.  He thinks they are good enough to make beer with.  It was a real pleasure getting to spend some time with him on his work break weekend. :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Oh, he does read it, but only the owner-builder projects and stuff like that, stuff he deems "practical".   ;)

Tonight is pork loin roast, a salad from the garden, and some cranberry-tangerine salad.

I'm actually just joshing you about the beard... it gives you that rugged, mountain man look (at least that's what my dad says about his own. [crz]

Homegrown Tomatoes

that pork roast is starting to smell mighty tasty... put a lot of garlic and onions with it.  I said salad from the garden without thinking.  It is more like salad from the knock off earth box.  Either way, it works... we are supposed to get a freeze tonight.  I can get in the tomato on the front porch, but the knock off earth box out back is enormous and still loaded with a sprawling green "tomato tree".   I can save the greens fairly easily by just throwing something over them for the night, but not sure if the tomatoes will make it.  We might just pick all the ones we've got left and have them fried later in the week or something.