What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on April 01, 2008, 06:45:40 PM
Quote from: MountainDon on April 01, 2008, 04:59:35 PM
Just about anything sugar free that I've tried has usually tasted okay but as soon as I finish it I get a funny aftertaste that lingers. Even if I am not aware that it is sugar free while eating I can tell.

Tonight: Scrambled eggs, home made turkey chili, salad.
I can taste the "aftertaste" even while I'm eating it... and stuff with aspartame also usually makes my stomach hurt.  I usually just try to avoid anything with sweeteners other than sugar, maple syrup, sorghum, or the like.  I made some of the sugar free jello today, but it's not set yet...

If you eat anything with Aspartame- Nutrisweet or any other name for it you just as well help yourself to a few spoonfuls of Rat Poison too.  About the same difference.

There is a big effort by Snopes and others to say there is no problem with it.  I think there is enough information out there to be really cautious about it and I won't use it.  While Snopes is generally accepted as gospel, it is not certified for anything and I would research it much farther rather than stopping at them.

http://www.befreetech.com/aspartame2.htm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, the way I see it, my mom was always pretty healthy until she started drinking diet coke. Nasty stuff.  I don't trust aspartame.  And I did try the jello, but it had the same funky taste that I don't like, so it'll probably be tossed.  Besides, I just don't think it is good for you.  It's probably better for me to just totally skip sweets than to try to have a substitute for them.  I really miss fruit, so I thought it might be a way to get some of the fruit flavor craving dealt with without making my blood sugar go up... :-\  Just have to behave myself for six more weeks or thereabout.  *sigh*  I miss things like tabouleh, cream of wheat, rye bread, and fruits especially... I could skip the dessert type things a lot easier because I usually don't eat much of that anyway, though through the whole process of moving I couldn't wait to have a scoop of Braum's ice cream as soon as I got back here, and then I found out that I couldn't eat it about the time I got back! 

MountainDon

Turkey, potato, onion, celery, peas, corn, green beans, carrots, tomatoes, V-8 juice, garlic STEW, from scratch
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

We ate at a Korean restaurant after my doctor's appointment yesterday.  I had kimchee chigae, and DH had dakbulgogi (Korean bbq chicken).  There's not a lot of Korean food I can eat right now because of the blood sugar issues, but if I stick to soups without rice, noodles or potatoes, and then eat the veggie side dishes, I'm OK.  Tonight we'll be having grilled pork chops, green beans, pineapple, and salad. 

I got a good reassuring feeling from the doctor's appointment... I am three weeks away from the time I had my second daughter, and I found out yesterday that my doctor is going to China for the next several weeks, and even though I should be coming in every other week, supposedly (if not every week?) she won't be able to see me for another three weeks!   ::)  May get that home birth I wanted after all... who knows?  DH says nesting has already set in because I made the baby's cradle up the other day and have been washing newborn clothes and getting allt he baby stuff out.  Trying to marinate meats for the grill in advance and freeze them in serving-size portions, and cooking up and freezing casseroles, etc. for after the baby gets here.  DH's mom will be coming sometime within a few weeks after the baby is born, so she'll probably drive me nuts wanting me to eat nothing but seaweed soup for a month, as is the custom...I'm a bit worried that she's going to be bored because the kids and I don't speak Korean very well and it'll be hard to communicate with her.  Getting along with my inlaws was much easier before we had kids. ;D  They just don't understand parenting in the same way we do, and it makes it kind of tough... they think you should give a kid whatever he wants, even if it is bad for him.  I'll never forget my MIL feeding my oldest daughter straight strawberry jelly as a 1-year-old... DD had never had sugar to that point, and of course she liked it, and my MIL thought it was the same as feeding her fruit!  She fed her so much of it that DD got sick and threw up for two days.  I was furious because every time she quit throwing up, MIL would try to feed her some more of it, or sugar-laden soy milk instead of plain milk, and she'd just ignore me if I told her not to.  DH has already had a talk with her and told her that whether she agrees or not, when she is in our house, she'll abide by our rules for the kids... it creates too much chaos when kids are getting two different messages.  Don't know that she'll listen, though... she's planning on staying for two months. 

tanya

ooooo two months....  YIKES.  I spent jsut under two weeks with my daughter and her husband when they just had thier baby and I know she was glad to have me go home when I left.  We get along pretty good too.  People just need their space somethimes.  Can you get her a room ?  Or maybe a cabin at an off season resort?  A tent?  anything for two months will be good. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Nope, as America will all be new to her, we couldn't do that to her.  She's going to stay right  here with us!  She doesn't speak any English (unless you count "good morning" and "thank you", but I'm not sure she really knows what either means!)  She's a great gal, and I get along with her most of the time, but I really hate it when I tell her not to feed the kids something and then she does it anyway.  Or when she gets mad if I make the kids go to bed at the same time every night... I guess when DH was a kid, she let him and his little brother run around until they just totally crashed.  She was also amazed when our oldest was one how she would go sit down in her booster seat when it was time to eat.... I told her that she did it because she knew if she wanted to eat, that was the only way it was going to happen, and the only place.  She told me that she used to chase her boys with a spoon to get food in their mouths.  Absurd.  She thinks I'm way too strict, but would have had a cow had she seen the way my folks raised me.  It'll be fun... an adventure having her here.  I just hope she likes it enough to convince my FIL to come sometime.  I know he'd love it here.  I'm not so sure about MIL... it'll be hard for her not to be in the hustle and bustle of a big city.  If I just took my FIL fishing, he'd have a ball, whereas I'm not so sure what to do with MIL.  Planning on taking her to the Red Earth Festival, some state parks, maybe the zoo, maybe a few museums, etc.  If all else fails, the lady who owns the Korean restaurant told me to drop her off there for a few hours if I need a break and let her have a break from all the English speakers, too.  We'll see... I like Korean food, and I'm a fairly decent Korean cook, but probably we won't eat it three meals a day for the whole two  months, and she's pretty set in her ways that anything other than Korean food is NOT food. 

MountainDon

You're on the right track as far as kids and meals go. There's breakfast, lunch and dinner time and if they can't sit still and eat and leave the table, it's all over until the next scheduled meal. They will not die and will quickly learn IF you don't cave in and give them their way. IMO.

G/L   :)

We run into a lot of different parenting styles with all the preschoolers.  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Ummmm ... steamed fresh picked artichokes from the garden with creamy Black Aphid and Miracle Whip Sauce. [hungry]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

glenn kangiser

I told Sassy they had Aphids on them -- she said they wouldn't hurt me.

Sassy

I washed the artichokes - if I got rid of all the aphids, there wouldn't be any artichoke left...   :-\  ::) :P  They get into our cauliflower also - I have to wash & soak the stuff like crazy...  I just try & ignore them...   ;)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Actually I picked off the outer leaves they were on - then no problem.  Just funnin ya

Homegrown Tomatoes

Adds to the protein, right?

Quote from: MountainDon on April 03, 2008, 09:57:50 PM
You're on the right track as far as kids and meals go. There's breakfast, lunch and dinner time and if they can't sit still and eat and leave the table, it's all over until the next scheduled meal. They will not die and will quickly learn IF you don't cave in and give them their way. IMO.

G/L   :)

We run into a lot of different parenting styles with all the preschoolers.  ::)

Don, I bet you do run into a lot of parenting styles.  I liked teaching college kids because though they may have all been parented differently, at least their folks aren't calling you at home to bawl you out for making classes to hard for their kid, etc.  When I taught high school, I actually had one kid's mom call me up multiple times and go to the school to try to get me fired because I made the kids keep a notebook for their math homework wherein they had to do reading notes from their text books.  Her son wasn't doing anything and was failing my class, even though he was the brightest kid in the class, and she called me up to scream at me about how her 6'3" "baby" came to her with tears in his eyes because he "didn't know" why I was flunking him.  Then she pitched a fit because they had to take "reading notes" and it was an algebra class!  How dare I make them read their texts!  How dare I make them actually learn how to apply the math they were learning to practical things... after all, everyone knows that there is NO reason that reading and math should have anything to do with each other, right?  This particular mom was the guidance counselor at a local public school, and she and her hubby both had doctorates in child psych.... and their son was different that all the other kids who flunk math!  He was going to Harvard and was going to be a doctor, so how dare I fail him in math?  I asked the young man one day what he wanted to do with his life and he said he wanted to go to Japan and study animation, which is something he would have been great at.  ???  People have all sorts of ways to mess their kids up!

In my husband's case, somewhere along the line, someone must have given him an example to follow of how to take responsibility for himself... unfortunately, his brother never got the same lessons.  He's still an irresponsible lout.   ;D

Dinner tonight will be burgers from the grill, salad, and fixings for the burgers.  I won't get any bread, but at least I can pile on the veggies and mustard and pretend.   ;)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 03, 2008, 10:56:02 PM
Ummmm ... steamed fresh picked artichokes from the garden with creamy Black Aphid and Miracle Whip Sauce. [hungry]

Makes you wonder whether you had already put pepper on or not.

glenn kangiser

That's what I said, Homey.  Just a bit more protein.

John -- I've always told Sassy I don't use ground black pepper because I can't tell it from the fly specks, then this happens. [crz]

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Homegrown Tomatoes on January 24, 2008, 02:49:47 PM
Here it is:
Peasant Bread:

1 pkg. yeast
2 c. warm water, divided4 c. flour (your choice)
2 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar (or other sweetener, like honey or molasses)
butter/poppy seeds (optional)

Dissolve yeast in 1 c. warm water and mix dry ingredients in another bowl.  Add yeast and water and mix well.  Cover and let rise until doubled.  (approx. 1 hour)  Stir down and half.  Place in greased pans and let rise until doubled again.  Brush with butter and or poppy seeds before baking in a 350 degree oven 30-45 minutes.

Hey HT where does the other cup of water go in or where?  Making it again today with potato soup but wife had a brain fa*t and couldn't recall if it was added before or not.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Add as needed after adding the yeast and water... don't know why, but sometimes I use the whole 2 cups and sometimes not...maybe depends on the flour?  Haven't made any bread (except the Naan for Easter) in the last few months since I can't eat it right now!  Sounds really good, though.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Dinner has been pretty boring of late... usually some meat off the grill and a salad, or some steamed green veggies.  Not feeling too creative in the kitchen because it is too tough to control the blood sugar. 

Tonight we had gone to our college town to visit folks from our old church, and on the way out of town we stopped at one of our old favorite Mexican places... i had carne asada, guacamole, salad, rice and beans, (though just a few bites of rice), and then the girls had flan for dessert and I couldn't resist JUST ONE little bite.  Of course my blood sugar went way up and stayed up for a while, but not too terribly high.  It was heavenly.

glenn kangiser

We had some great tuna salad sandwiches Sassy made for lunch with fresh garden carrots and celery.  I went for seconds... oh yeah...and slathered with lots of Miracle Whip.

Redoverfarm

HT the water wasn't the problem.  The yeast got old and it didn't rise. DW thought she had some more but didn't.   Oh well there is always another day.  It made good suet for the birds though.  Came out real heavy and wouldn't bake. I know the birds like it because they keep falling to the ground.  ;D

Homegrown Tomatoes

It helps if you keep the yeast in the freezer... When I was baking all the time I bought a big bag of yeast because gets kind of expensive buying the little packets.  Kept it in the freezer ever since (except the days we were moving which were as good as having it in the freezer because it was really cold out) and have never had any trouble with it.  I always let it sit in the warm water a little while to "proof" it.  If it isn't bubbly something is wrong.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on April 13, 2008, 11:25:14 PM
We had some great tuna salad sandwiches Sassy made for lunch with fresh garden carrots and celery.  I went for seconds... oh yeah...and slathered with lots of Miracle Whip.
Did you grow the celery, too, Glenn?  I experimented with Conquistador last year, but we went out of town one weekend and had a heat wave (in WI) and they apparently dried up and withered away in those two short days.  I think I'd have to grow it in early spring or late fall here to get it to grow, but I'd like to try. 

I've been wanting a tuna sandwich, but the problem is I can't eat the bread.  So I made the kids tuna salad sandwiches for lunch the other day, and I just ate some of the tuna salad on lettuce, and STILL my blood sugar skyrocketed.   :(  Didn't have anything sweet in it, either...

Tonight we're going to have grilled chicken and a salad... I think I'll make some taters for DH and the girls, too.  About four or five more weeks, max... then hopefully I'll be able to re-introduce a few carbs.

glenn kangiser

Yup -- That is the first time we got celery to grow here -- started it last year and over the winter it grew.  I had great celery when doing hydroponics-- It overloaded the trough.  I was doing NFT on that one.

Homegrown Tomatoes

NFT??? Please elaborate.

glenn kangiser

Nutrient film technique.

The hydroponic nutrients are liquid only and are flowed along the bottom of the trough where only roots grow.  No soil.  Some flow constantly, but the best method is to flow intermittently to allow the roots time to get air.  Roots need air -- that is why packed soils - clay etc stifle growth.

Here is a link to one method, http://hydroponicfarm.blogspot.com/2007/09/nft-hydroponics-system.html

It mentions constant flow -- experimentation shows that intermittent is better -- More roots and faster growth after the first few weeks.