What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanya

I am making turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravey, steamed vegies, and fruit salad, and pies and chocolate bunny cake and ice cream.  Most of the prep is going to be done Saturday evening though because I am concerned that making all this food could interfere with my baby holding time on Sunday. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Sassy

I'm working 1130-mid Sat & Sun so won't be having Easter dinner...  :(  Glenn will have to fend for himself  c*  My son is here helping with some stuff.  He took out the rocket stove yesterday & wheel barreled out all the dirt - the stove wouldn't have been practical & took up a huge amount of space - but Glenn got to do his experiment...  he wanted to get it out too...  my son is going to level the floor today & wash all my millions of windows  :)

We barbecued a couple tri-tips & some pork chops last night, had mashed potatoes & fresh carrots out of the garden.  Yummie!

Glenn is headed off to the large house job in Coulterville with tri-tip sandwiches & I'm meeting with my brothers & sister this am in the valley.  I think we're going to the Japanese restaurant for lunch.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Redoverfarm

Well I hope he doesn't get a hankering for Rabbit to eat while you are gone. The kids will be disappointed.  Seeing that you had fresh carrots that is probably not the case in your garden. Domesticated animals probably keep them at bay.

Sassy & Sushi?  Not many Japanese eating establishments around here. Have to drive 1-2 hours to get Chinese. But usually worth the trip if I didn't have to drive. Gas and all. 

Homegrown Tomatoes

We went to a place with my cousins last Sunday after church that is a big Asian buffet. I usually don't like those places because most Chinese food is coated in MSG, which causes me severe headaches.  However, this place didn't use MSG, and it was owned by a Vietnamese family that my cousin has become friends with, and they had a great variety.  They had a big Chinese selection, to be sure, but there was also Mongolian BBQ (pretty yummy) and a section where you can make your own noodle soup.  They also had a small section of sushi.  It was really good.

Sassy

"Sassy & Sushi?  Not many Japanese eating establishments around here." (Redover)  Nope, don't much like sushi  :P 
Had teriyaki beef & tempura veggies plus a couple types of soups & salads were served along side - had some wasabi with it - whew, got a few bites that really cleared my sinuses   [shocked]  But the food was good.

Redoverfarm

Making me hungry Sassy.  Talking of Wasabi there is a deli here in town that carries alot of Amish foods. They have dried/roasted peas and soy beans that are wasabi flavored. I just eat these instead of potato chips for snack food.  Real good but as you say "a little dab will do ya".

Homegrown Tomatoes

worked one summer in the Grand Canyon when I was in college.  One of the guys that worked with us, Wisconsin Mike, drove to Flagstaff with a group of us to take a couple from New York to the train station to return to school for the fall.  We stopped to eat at a huge Asian buffet with a little bit of everything.  I noticed Mike put a big glop of wasabi on his plate, but I figured he was an adult and had a right to eat whatever he wanted, so I didn't say anything.  Thankfully, he sat right across from me, so I had box seats to the event that followed.  As we sat down, I noticed Mike scanning the table, but I didn't realize what he was looking for until it was too late... he shrugged to himself and grabbed a fried wonton and scooped probably a tablespoon or more of wasabi onto it and into his mouth before anyone could warn him.  It was like he was having a seizure!  He grabbed his nose and screamed, fell out of the chair and lay writhing on the floor.  Tears were flowing down his face, and he never stopped screaming.  When he did finally recover (somewhat... I'm not sure Mike ever really recovered from the pain) he said, "Whoa!  Whatever that was, it was NOT guacamole!"   At that point, the rest of us laughed to the point we probably looked as convulsive as poor Mike.  Gotta love wasabi.

Tonight, it's so nice out I think I'm going to do steak kabobs with peppers, onions, and squash.  I was going to make fried chicken, but it's too nice to cook indoors.

Sassy

rofl rofl rofl  sorry, couldn't help myself!   ::)  poor guy - that stuff packs a powerful punch!

Redoverfarm

I use my brow as a guage. When the sweat starts to pop out I lay off for a while. ;D

Redoverfarm

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.  Relatives for Easter dinner.  Spiral Ham, potato salad, beats, combination bean casarole, broccoli, home made rolls, and orange marble cake. As usual probably won't eat any supper. Well maybe a little later tonight.

MountainDon

Don's Homemade New Mexican Chicken Enchiladas!  I'm using chicken meat pulled from the carcass of the last roast chicken, plus a small piece of left over grilled breast. Hatch (New Mexico brand) medium green chili enchilada sauce.  Grated strong NM cheddar cheese (8th in the nation for cheese production). A little chopped onion, no idea where it came from.  [noidea'  The chicken; Arkansas, I think.  :-\

Roll the meat, onion, some cheese and sauce in Bueno (another NM brand) flour tortillas (no trans fats, no lard... traditional tortillas are made with and fried in Lard.  [yuk] People still do that). Place the rolled up Enchiladas in a glass baking dish, cover with the rest of the sauce, being careful to wet the tortilla edges. Sprinkle some grated cheese. Bake, or cheat and microwave until hot and cheese is melted.

EDIT: I discovered a ripe tomato and will chop it and add a little to each Enchilada. Cookong with me is an ongoing experiment.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, lunch was interesting.  I found out this morning that I am allergic to the medicine my doctor prescribed to help with the blood sugar, which always seems to run higher in the AM even if I eat no carbs.  Anyway, if she'd been paying attention, she would've seen that my records showed that I'm allergic to some other sulfa drugs, and the warning on the Glyburide (spelling?) tells you if you've had a reaction to sulfas you may be allergic to it, too.  I am.  I had a big dorky welt across my forehead and a very itchy throat.  So, by the time we got to Grandma's I was about half afraid to eat anything.  I had a lettuce and tomato salad, some chicken and squash soup, and a few green beans... thankfully I stayed within range.  Dinner was stir-fry chicken and veggies while DH and the kids had in addition some of the carb-full leftovers that Grandma sent home with us.  I made Dan and Drew's naan and everyone else enjoyed it immensely, but I had to be content to smell it.  I think there were some thirty pieces, and all of them were eaten.  Since I'm allergic to the meds, I think I'll go back to eating a plain egg with tabasco and celery for breakfast, which didn't seem to make my numbers skyrocket.  As long as I keep my foods boring, I should be OK.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Dinner tonight will be grilled chuck steak and salad.  I think I'll make some taters for DH and the kids... they're about to starve to death trying to eat what I am eating.  Poor DH has already lost about 5-6 lbs., and believe me he didn't have any to lose!  If anything, he needs to gain a little weight, but he kept insisting on eating what I was eating so that I wouldn't feel "deprived" or whatever for not eating rice, bread, other grains, and sweets (it doesn't keep him from drinking a coke in front of me, which seems especially tempting, though.)  I finally decided that the coffee has to go, even though it's only one cup and only about a half teaspoon of sugar... :-\  I didn't have any this morning, and thankfully it is warm enough that I haven't really missed it too much.  The good thing about all of this gestational diabetes stuff is that when the baby is born, there is a pretty good chance that I'll weigh less than my pre-pregnancy weight.   ;D  That'd be a welcome first!  Only about 7 weeks left... how many dozen eggs does that mean I will have to eat between now and then?   I wonder how many heads of lettuce and stalks of celery and pans of steamed broccoli?  Oh well, steak and salad is a pretty safe bet, and if I can just alternate meats and eggs to go with the salads,  I guess it is do-able.  Now, the hard part... we still haven't picked out names for the new baby yet... at this rate, we really might end up calling him/her "Spud" per DD's wishes!

glenn kangiser

I think that is a great name.  Spud --- it has a nice likable sound to it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Just not "sue" for a boy there is already a song about that. :-[  Remember the child has to live with it for the rest of his life not yours. Be kind. I bet you already know the foods that don't agree with the baby.  It probably lets you know or I mean pays you back for the wrong things.

Homegrown Tomatoes

I've heard some doozies for names lately.  People can be cruel to their kids.  My step-brother wanted to name his kid Wolfgang Ammadaeus Wilhite.  Thankfully someone talked some sense into him.  Another friend wanted to name her son "Brayden Colby" and all I could think was "Cheese Log", but her husband talked her into naming the boy Tyler instead.  Whew.  If it had been a girl instead, she wanted to name her Margeaux, which I also thought was awful!   

With both of our kids, we thought long and hard about their names. Our oldest was named before I was even five months pregnant.  We could already tell she was a fireball.  So we gave her a name that means "battle strength" and "grace" and her middle name means "light" in English and "decorum" in Korean.  After the first one, we really prayed for a peaceful second one, so we chose a name that means "Peaceful", and she is... her middle name also means light. This time, it seems like things have been so hectic, and we don't know what we're having, so it's been harder to come up with a name, though I can tell this one is a tall kiddo, and pretty active, especially about the time I finally get a chance to sit down.  Tonight, my oldest suggested Lena for a girl, which is kind of pretty... I always think of Lena Horne, the singer when I hear it.   

Redoverfarm

With both of our children we used partials of our loved ones names in theirs. They turned out real well with the combination as each child is named after two of our relatives each. It sort of keeps the memory alive and gives the child some roots to their family.

glenn kangiser

It could be worse.  My mom named me Glenn.  A variant of Glen. 
so - I'm a varaint to start off with.

Then to add insult to injury, I find out that it means "A glen is a narrow valley between hills", so it really hurts when Sassy says, Come on ya big boob.  She nearly has it right. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

rofl Somethings you just can't escape from.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 25, 2008, 11:17:38 PM
It could be worse.  My mom named me Glenn.  A variant of Glen. 
so - I'm a varaint to start off with.

Then to add insult to injury, I find out that it means "A glen is a narrow valley between hills", so it really hurts when Sassy says, Come on ya big boob.  She nearly has it right. [crz]
rofl

;D  Our older daughter's name is Corianna Rae, and the Rae comes from my MIL's name, Sam-Rae.  Cori means "battle strength" (or, at least that's one of the meanings) and Anna means "grace".  The little one's name is Evannie Eileen.  Evannie is a variant of a Greek name, Ivanni or Ivanna, which means peaceful. I am not sure how the original name should be pronounced, but we say it where it sounds close enough to "Ebony" that people get it mixed up sometimes.   Eileen means "light".  And, besides that, when they're in trouble, the first, middle and last name roll off the tongue quite smoothly.  Ev suggested a name if the baby is a little sister, and I really like it... she said she wanted to name the baby Sylvia Angeli.  Sylvia is my grandma's name, and grandma always belly aches that no one will ever name a baby after her... it would tickle her pink if we did.  Sylvia means "from the woods" which seems appropriate considering where we just moved from....  Angeli means "angel", or there is a name that sounds the same from the Hindi language which is Anjali, which means "offering".  Either way, I think it is pretty, not too weird, and has a good meaning.  I don't know what we'll do as far as Korean names are concerned... if it is a girl, we could continue the jewel theme as our oldest's Korean name is Jin-ju (Pearl) and the second is Su-Jeong (Crystal)...what's May's birthstone?  Or, what the heck, we could just pick a random one... emerald, ruby, etc.  If it is a boy, I'd like to name him after my Grandpa, Johnie.  I like Levi, Lyon, or a few other names as a middle name...  I also thought about giving him my Grandpa's family name as a middle name... Johnie Chambless?  I don't know.  At the same time, I can't imagine him ever deciding to go by his middle name if that is the case.  I even thought at one time of naming a girl after Grandpa because of the unusual spelling of his name... I think it looks like it could be a feminine spelling. 

Of course, none of this has anything to do with what's for dinner.   ;D  I even hijack my own threads.

Dinner will be grilled steaks or chops, salad, and mashed potatoes for everyone else.

glenn kangiser

We'll just have to wait and see the name.

Last night dinner was left over barbecue tri-tip sandwiches nuked and slathered with miracle whip, cookies and icecream -- chocolate chip mint. [hungry]

Homegrown Tomatoes

cookies and icecream sound like they'd be messier than the average BBQ sandwich, Glenn.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 26, 2008, 11:03:45 AM
...miracle whip...
No, no, no! If you're going to slather fat on a sandwich use Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, AKA  Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise east of the rockies. Here in NM depending on what store you go to you can find both. Sometimes both in the same store.  :-\

I used Miracle Whip because my Mom did. Then decades ago a sweet young thing I was enamoured with had me try Hellman's. It was superb! Maybe it was the love interest influence.  ???  Anyhow after K and met I introduced her to Hellman's and she liked it better than the Miracle whip her mother also used.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Yuck... don't care for either, but if I need to use one or the other for a recipe, I usually go with the miracle whip... except I use the cheap knock off brand, Garden Club.  But, mustard is always better if you're just gonna slather a sandwich with it.

MountainDon

I agree that a good tangy mustard, maybe with a little horseradish is perfect for a lot of sandwiches, BUT ya' can't make a egg salad sandwich, a tuna or salmon salad sandwich, a BLT, or a deviled egg without Mayo! I don't eat 'em everyday, but they are very delicious once in a while.