What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Red Robin!
1. a Royal Red Robin burger, it has a fried egg in it
2. a Pot Roast burger, loads of grilled onions and yep, sliced pot roast
3. a basket of Cod Fish and Chips (same fries as in the other dinners but here they call 'em chips) and they serve them with vinegar, like good Chips (fries) should have

there were 3 of us
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Quote from: glenn kangiser on February 02, 2008, 09:46:13 PM
I am not the one who started it this time.  Hooray.  :)

I have a very good set of bacteria.  I suppose that chewing less -- swallowing the small beans whole so they will pass through the stomach and into the intestines for the bacteria to break down can enhance the experience.  The .22 caliber navy beans are some of the best.  The brown sugar and baking make them yummy. [crz]

Note that I have resisted commenting on this ever since you posted that your were going to be making baked beans.  I love 'em.
Well, they tasted great, BUT, seeing as this is winter and you can't exactly throw open the windows and doors, maybe I should save the baked beans for summer picnics?  It was enough to make your eyes water.  My little one begged us to roll down the windows on the truck, even though she hates the cold and it was below freezing, and then she told Dad he needed to get out and find his own ride.  He ran into the store to get some milk on the way home (leaving a trail behind him, no doubt) and while the kids and I were waiting in the truck, the little one asked me if a guy across the parking lot was daddy.  I said, "I don't think so... he's about 6' 3" and white."  She then said, "Well, you're right.  He's got a hat like Daddy's and a coat like Daddy's, but he doesn't stink as bad." ;D

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

rofl  I feel your pain, Homegrown  rofl
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Homegrown Tomatoes

I'd send the leftovers to work with him, but I figure that's cruel and unusual to the guys he works with... so I guess that means more for me and the girls.  Besides, we are just as likely to suffer the consequences if he eats them for lunch.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Think tonight we'll have grilled fish (it's almost up to freezing, so that's grilling weather, right?) If there's any potatoes left, we'll have them too, and maybe some cornbread or corn (still have a little corn in the freezer.)  Sounds pretty starchy, but we're still trying to clean out the larder.  I have some peanuts up in the freezer (raw ones) and so I think the kids and I need to make some peanut brittle since we never got around to making it for Christmas... maybe today would be a good day for that after church.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Well, we made two batches of peanut brittle, and now there are no more raw peanuts in the freezer.  Yum.  It turned out perfect.  My husband offered to "cook" dinner tonight, so we're about to sit down and eat his "gourmet" productions.  It consists of: boiled shrimp, cocktail sauce, olives, leftover strawberry cheesecake, and leftover whole wheat pumpkin nut bread.  Highly nutritious, I'm sure. ???  Think whether I like it or not, I am eventually going to have to make one last trip to the grocery store before we leave here!

glenn kangiser

Well, Homegrown.  I'm a bit disappointed.  I'll bet your DH could have really made something outa them thar goober peas.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Fried left over sweet potatoes, lightly steamed broccoli & cauliflower, grilled ground turkey, pork and venison patty with blue cheese crumbles melted on top.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

I made biscuits & sausage gravy for lunch - haven't thought about dinner yet...  we had coconut/banananut cake again that I baked yesterday...  need to make another fruit salad - mixed oranges, bananas & apples with yogurt & a little vanilla & honey - oh & added coconut - Glenn loves coconut.  I need to make something green...  guess I could send Glenn out to the garden, even though it is covered with snow, still lots of swiss chard, Swedes, onions, broccoli, etc.  Have lots of squash too...  down in the deep part of the house that isn't finished yet... keeps very cool there.

Homegrown Tomatoes

think we're going out tonight.  can't handle one more day without green veggies.  Stopping by the store before we come home, too.  Got a floor in the sewing room and will paint the walls in there and the breakfast nook tonight. 

Drew

Robin and I were out last night so Dan made my ziti.  It has to be about the simplest recipe in the world past PB&J, but hers came out different.  Good, but different.  It turns out she covered the dish for the baking and didn't let the mixture evaporate a bit.  I'd show you what it looked like, but we ate it all!

She also made a great salad with red lettuce, feta, and caramelized shallots.  The salad making around here has taken a miraculous turn for the  better since she's been at it.

tanya

I am pretty hungry now after reading those posts.  Last night Ihad a small pot of instant mashed potatoes and a pbj sandwhich.  To cold in the kitchen to stay in there very long.  I am trying to save money on heat so I only have one room heated.  Brrrr.
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Tonight, we'll have the grilled fish that I didn't get around to making the other day.  And some broccoli.  Maybe some potatoes.

glenn kangiser

Broccoli is nice.  One of the gas foods.

Drew

Dan made this salad of spinach in a vinaigrette, diced and fried potatoes, and a fried egg on the top.

No, really!  It was great!

Man, I love spinach... 

Homegrown Tomatoes

Drew, when my oldest was about 18 months old we were at the grocery store and they had the bagged spinach marked down to about 4 bags for a dollar.  I grabbed four bags, thinking we couldn't possibly eat more than that before it was past its prime, and my daughter started crying for "more spinach".  She was pleading and reaching for it and begging.  Boy, did I get dirty looks from other parents!  As if I was depriving my kid of healthy food!  To this day, our kids freak out other parents at the grocery store when they're shouting in jubilation over things like avacados and cilantro, or at the farmer's market where they want to discuss varieties and growing culture with the local farmers.

Drew

Yesss!  That's great, HT!  Not only will they take care of themselves by eating helathy foods, they will feed the same to their own children, support local food systems, and be inspirations to their friends.  That's the kind of politics that really works.   [cool]

Nice work.   ;)

benevolance

Last night we looked on the internet for a Hearty chicken stew recipee...We looked at chicken soups, chicken corn chowders and chicken stews...And took a few ideas from a few different recipees and made our own...We loved it.

Half a dozen large carrots
Half an onion
3 medium sized celery sticks
tsp of butter

Cut vegetables into small cubes...Cook with butter in pan about ten minutes to soften vegetables for faster prep time..Then throw veggies in Stewpot with 8 cups of water and a couple oxo chicken boullion cubes

Then we took a cut up chicken...I baked the wings and legs in oven with homemade shake and bake...the rest was cut up into cubes and cooked for 5 minutes with pepper and oil in fry pan

Add chicken to vegetables and broth...spice according to taste..For us that meant lots of pepper..a hint of paprika and some basil...

Cook on low heat...30 minutes and the carrots and celery will be almost soft...Then throw in some whole wheat rotini (half a package...about 1 cup) and some fresh corn (1 cup of kernals)... We also used 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour to thicken the Stew...

When pasta is ready the stew is ready...Cook time for everything was under an hour...And that is including cutting chicken vegetables etc...

I had fresh bread cooling on the counter as a I made the stew...So we ate good!...The wife took a couple slices of bread and a container of stew for her lunch at school today.

This is great as a meal because it will serve about 6 people..It is easy... fairly quick and you can easily customize it to suit your exact taste

We try to keep it healthy... organic vegetables...Real local butter with nothing added ...And we use extra virgin olive oil...when we use flour it is whole wheat

The only thing that bothered me about the recipee is that bouillion cubes have a lot of sodium in them...I would like to eliminate that in the future as we continue to make this sort of thing more often.

Sassy

soup sounds good, Peter  :)

boiling a couple chickens for stock - freeze some of it - take the chickens out, fry or bake & use some of the broth for dumplings - yummy - I've never made biscuits or dumplings with whole wheat flour - will have to try... 

still haven't made any bread yet...  :(  I'd bought some really good bread at Trader Joe's - whole wheat sour dough that is really good - need to use up the bread I have before baking (that's a good excuse, isn't it?) 

Redoverfarm

Last night was lazy night. Had french bread pizza. Really easy and quick. Just substituted french bread for the crust and laided on the trimmings, Sauce, cheese, mushrooms, pepperoni, peppers and about 15 minutes your eating.

tanya

Today I had a calzone from the co-op for lunch they are soooo good.  Artichoke hearts, garlic, kalamari olives chedder cheese and great homemade bread crust.  yummm that was good.  To lazy to cook anything else though so I am having dried papaya and banannas for dinner.  It is cold here. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

benevolance

Sassy

My wife went to work today and a couple other teachers were asking her what she was heating up...Smelled it...and they wanted the recipee... I laughed because I just sort of read a bunch of them and came up with something based on what we had in the fridge and cupboard...

The loaf of bread is gone...Every time I make fresh bread it never survives 24 hours..And there is only the 2 of us here....Maybe I am getting better at making it?

despite her friends hating their peanut butter sandwiches compared to the chicken stew...my wife did find something to complain about....turns out that lately corn makes her poop or so she thinks....So she told me no more corn in the chicken stew...

And as for whole wheat flour in Dumplings or gravy....I love it...We use nothing but whole wheat flour and pasta now...I could not go back

Sassy

Benevolance,
I use whole wheat flour for gravy & whole wheat pasta, brown rice...  I'll have to try it for biscuits & dumplings.  So everyone was jealous of your wife's lunch I bet!

Re the corn - don't know about it helping with the movements but Glenn says he doesn't digest it...   ::)

I mixed dried green & yellow split peas, onions, garlic, salt & pepper & made split pea soup on the wood stove today - had bought a 1/2 shank ham so cut that in 3 pieces, used the shank part for the soup & froze the other 2 pieces.
Also had a mixed green salad with avocados & broiled crusty whole wheat sour dough bread with butter.  Tasted pretty good.

I need to get into the routine of making bread again - we'd be the same way as you guys - I LOVE fresh, warm homemade bread!   

Homegrown Tomatoes

So, Glenn, what you're saying is, "Corn in = Corn out?"

We had the last of the corn on the cob from the freezer, mini-frozen pizzas, and smoothies made with frozen bananas, strawberries, and mangoes... the smoothie would have been plenty, but the rest didn't hurt.  I'm stuffed.  We finished remodeling the sewing room and it is cute as can be now.  Now we're painting the dining nook outside the kitchen.  Hopefully we'll finish that and get the trim back up by tomorrow morning.  The movers couldn't come assess our stuff today because of the heavy snows.  Any of y'all have damage from the tornadoes?