Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Cool PEG -- Nice work.  Why'd you paint that one blue????   :-?

peg_688

You are soooooooooo funny Glenn  ::)

I turned theses back in 1999 , for a large kitchen table , in a large kitchen I would think. Never saw the kitchen and the table is back at the shop I turned the legs for due to a toilet leak , beach house left unattended/ checked  for 3 months , small little leak , did a [highlight]LOT[/highlight] of damage to the house.

Another [highlight]reason to put SHUT OFF'S ON YOUR CABINS[/highlight]  if you have water pressure to your places , pardon the drift . :-[

Photo's

It is a distressed finish , the water damage is the mold and sort of "washed out " look of the finish.  

peg_688

Yeah -- I am kinda funny sometimes, eh? PEG. :)

Ya  yer  a riot  ::) ;D

peg_688

Ok so ya didn't ask but here's more  ;D

Garden tools ,

Cherry Vases , Yew  candle holders,

The lil cup is my 1st turning on my own lathe ,

And a Madrone natural edge bowl ,

Is anyone out there , besides Glenn  :-/ :'(

AAA-DAY

PEG, I've been enjoying your posted projects for awhile now. You asked if anyone else had anything to post, and I do! I posted a picture of the coat rack my husband made quite awhile back, and would like to share two new projects he created for our cabin.
The first is a tv cabinet. I wanted a corner unit, but I wanted it to be low enough to fit under the window, and to angle more than 45 degrees (to face the chair more than the couch), a tall order and required a custom job. My husband created this cabinet and it worked great.
Also, note the black "shaker style" clock on the top, it is a reproduction of one I saw in the Speigel catalog, and I love it.
I really enjoy seeing other's projects, I hope more posts come!

glenn-k

Sassy

I can't see any pictures while I'm at work  :'(

peg_688

Why those meanies at the VA what they thinkin  >:(

Just think what you got to look forward to when ya get off shift Sassy ;D

And Glenn how about a lil compassion ?????? :-/  

OK That's enought  ;D

glenn-k

peg_688

So,  eh , Sas!  Ya  still at work or what ;)

And , ah , Glenn , did the devil make ya do it ;D

glenn-k

Sorry I was out -- I was getting historic photos off another site.

I just have that little passive aggressive streak. :P

She doesn't have DSL at the other place - dial up is too painful to deal with.  We are poor people - can't afford it at both places so I get it here -- :)

MountainDon

Turnings! I'd forgotten that I'd turned a piece or two of wood.

That's a 3 3/8" diameter glue up

Sassy

Very nice work, everyone!  8-)  I have so much catching up to do  :-/ - I can see Glenn's been playing fast & loose while I've been gone  ;) .  Had 2 full days of classes to go to  :P
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Island countertop and bookshelf , out of Jatoba ( Brazilian Cherry )

Black & White,

It's come a long way from this ,

Even got to rent some 36" widebelt sander time,

Of course it was to wide , 39", so I had to do two glue ups , then sand , then glue those two 20" glue ups togther and final sand , rout , that just one coat of finish , 4 more to go then do the install.

The top to the bookself is 1 1/2" thick as well , no photo of that  yet.  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Thanks . :)  

That wood is hard and VERY heavy. :o :o I can barely turn it over to put finish on the under side .  Let alone pick it up , the 1/2 pieces I could pick up , now that it's glued togther it's a two man lift.

Which BTW is important( finishing both sides)  to prevent cupping. The finish should be pretty equal , especialy in a island that has a warming draw and a dish washer, any heat , moisture makers . This island doesn't have either but I don't like to take chances , way to much work in making it to skimp on a few coats of finish.  ;)

glenn kangiser

Now I know why my Bull Pine warped -- I didn't finish both sides -- you teach me something new everyday, PEG.  Thx. :)

PEG688

It's not a 100% sure thing but that among with MC , say under 8% , and you'll notice my glue ups are not very wide . So a few more factors , but applying a pretty  even # of coats is a good idea on something like a counter top . Where heat from things inside cabinets and moisture can build up.

What was your pine used for??

glenn kangiser

It is a countertop - slab 2" thick x 18 inches wide -- I just always used the rustic excuse.  It would be normal for it to warp some anyway.  I probably made it worse by doing only the top.

I know small strips rotated like you did is better to resist warping but I'm lazy.  I mean rustic. :-/

MountainDon

You're not the only one who doesn't/didn't know about finishing both sides of a counter or tabletop; any large flat wood surface. It's worse when there's a ready source of heat and/or moisture on one side. ... same thing applies to doors, all surfaces including the bottom and top edges should be finished.

Shortly after moving here to the desert I watched in horror/fascination years ago as a tabletop seemed to warp before my very eyes as the first coat of finish dried on the top surface.

That's sometimes forgotten after trimming the bottom edge.

And those pictures of yours are always showing off something from your garden.  :)  
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

You know how it is, Don.  Us poor people have to put something in there to make our crudely made chainsaw cut counters look decent. ;D