Wall Plugin for SketchUp

Started by Medeek, March 05, 2017, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medeek

While I am still fresh with gable walls (and the code for this module) I am contemplating getting the hip variant done as well:

I've already got two votes in favor of it (myself and Larry Belk) however I want to put this out to everyone else and find out if it is of any interest, would you use this gable wall type?

It will probably take me about 3 or 4 days to make it happen or I can move on to other items in the list.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, P.E.
Designer, Programmer and Engineer

Medeek

Version 1.5.6 - 07.16.2020
- Updated the gable wall module to allow for zero wall height shed walls.
- Added triple single hung windows to the window module.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/5d1c193e-2547-4ad3-ae31-25e2762a32e7/Triple-Single-Hung-Window

Medeek

So I'm looking at the hip wall again because I've had some further interest in it.

However, I'm trying to figure out the best way to frame the top plates, which variant is preferred:

Version 1:

Version 2:

Medeek

First look at a hip wall with blocking:

Medeek

Hip wall with insulation and blocking:

Medeek

Hip wall with windows and doors:

Medeek

Version 1.5.7 - 07.21.2020
- Enabled the gable wall tool with the ability to draw and edit hip walls.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/8707c88c-0874-4c47-8563-f4e4326da53f/Hip-Wall-2

Medeek

Version 1.5.7b - 07.22.2020
- Updated the gable wall module to allow for zero wall height hip walls.
- Fixed a bug with the trimming of Simpson Strong-Tie wood shear walls (WSW).

Medeek

Off the beaten path a bit today, had a discussion about engineering and the plugins, so it got me thinking about the engineering module and beams and headers.  Some ideas on representing loads on beams below:

Not sure I like how the distributed loads are represented with a transparent PNG, it might be better to simply draw two connected arrows which represent the extent of the distributed load (start and end points along the length of the beam).

The colors represent different load types (ie. Dead, Live, Snow).

The magnitude will be represented by the height of the arrows and size of the arrow heads.

The loading diagrams will be placed on their own specific layer so they can easily be toggled on an off.

Initially I think it would be best to stick with just rectangular distributed loads, trapezoidal and triangular loads complicate things considerably.  Notice how the loading is placed on the beam such that coincident loads are offset in the Y axis so they can be better visualized and not Z-fight each other.

This would be a significant upgrade to the plugins, allow the user to quickly calculate and check a beam or header, similar to doing a check in Weyerhauser's Forte or any other comparable engineering application.

The output would be something similar to my Beam Calculator here:

https://design.medeek.com/resources/beam/beam_calculator.pl

However the output probably should be less verbose and more compact, similar to the one page output of Forte.

Medeek

Version 1.5.7c - 07.23.2020
- Fixed a bug with certain wall sheathing materials as applied to gable, hip and shed walls.

Medeek

Version 1.5.8 - 08.01.2020
- Fixed a bug with all wall assemblies when auto-assigment of materials is turned off in the global settings.

Medeek

Version 1.5.8b - 08.02.2020
- Added a semi-transparent polygon fill to the draw wall tool wireframe.
- Added an option for vertical ZIP Systems© 7/16" and 1/2" wall sheathing materials.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/752a6027-fd47-42da-88e7-245eed5a5691/Zip-System-Wall-Sheathing-Vert

Medeek

Version 1.5.9 - 08.18.2020
- Added the "Basic Options" parameters to the Wall tab of the Global Settings.

I'm not sure why these parameters never got added to the global settings a long time ago but I guess better late than never.

Medeek

Version 1.5.9b - 08.18.2020
- Fixed a bug with gypsum when applied to the end condition for interior shed walls.

Medeek

Version 1.5.9c - 08.19.2020
- Fixed a floating point rounding error in the blocking and cavity insulation modules for all walls.

No bells and whistles tonight.  Sometimes it's just about putting out the fires.

Medeek

Version 1.6.0 - 08.23.2020
- Enabled variable king stud and trimmer stud widths for garage doors (non-portal frame).

Medeek

Version 1.6.0b - 08.23.2020
- Added the ability to create, load and delete garage door presets within the Edit and Draw (HTML) Menus.
- Fixed a bug with reading in presets from the door and window edit menus.

Medeek

Version 1.6.1 - 08.26.2020
- All gable wall types (gable, hip, shed) now include the option to enter in the wall slope as a pitch or angle.

Medeek

For completeness I think it would be a good idea to add the option for arched garage doors and dutch corners.  The algorithms for arched doors already exist within the man door module and the geometry of dutch corners is very simple.  Give me a couple of days and I will knock this one out.

Medeek

Version 1.6.2 - 09.01.2020
- Added three additional parameters to the "User Interface" section of the General tab of the global settings. This allows the customization (colors) of the HTML menus.

Medeek

Medeek

Version 1.6.3 - 09.06.2020
- Added (segmental) arched garage doors to the garage door module.

I still need to add the option for dutch corners.

Medeek

Version 1.6.4 - 09.07.2020
- Added Dutch Corners to garage doors within the garage door module.

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/979ab97b-1a46-4724-b319-3262067921f7/Dutch-Corners-with-Garage-Doors

Now the garage door module feels a little more complete.

Medeek

An example of a detached garage with arched doors set into a stemwall foundation:

View model here:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/472c9833-18d0-4911-8887-a336724487a0/Garage-2-Arched-Doors

Medeek