Architect approved plans?

Started by Kindiger, December 01, 2016, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindiger

Hello all,

Are the plans you can purchase from Countryplans.com architect approved?  Can we buy a set of plans, take them to an architect or similar professional and get them to give these a stamp?

We are building in (very) rural California, but as accommodating as the county is, we till have to cross some Ts and dot some Is.
We are newly married and very new to all this. We are trying to build affordably and love many of the  designs we see here.

Thanks for any advice on getting a county to give the green light to these plans!

-Kindiger

NathanS

They are not stamped plans. It's not really possible to purchase prestamped plans because the engineer needs to be recognized by the state or locality.

In my county in new York you don't need a stamp under 1500sq ft. Next county over you must have everything stamped. I talked to the code officer in that county and he said if he understands the structure he won't require that stamp. my septic engineer would probably stamp the countryplans plans pretty cheaply... In other areas it could be a very expensive process.

I guess my point is start talking to people. show your inspector the plans and ask why he needs a stamp. it's a lot to learn but you guys can do it if you're determined.

some code officers are very lenient, some are power crazy. Find out who you would be dealing with.

Danfish

Many California building departments require engineered structural plans due to snow loading, earthquake design, soil issues, etc.   That does not mean the "design" requires an architect it just means the structure details must be approved by a state licensed engineer.  There is no way around this requirement if that's what your local building dept requires.  This means you will have to take the plans to a registered engineer who will make the necessary calculations, provide a report of same and the the necessary notes to include on the structural construction drawings.  You can draw the necessary construction drawings or pay someone to draw.  These then are added to the drawing set for permit submission.  You may also be required to get a report from a registered soils engineer.  Total cost for all this...$1,000 - $5,000.  In California be prepared to shell out the dollars for permits, fees and other things related to your building!