20x 30 1 1/2 story- in Lac-Des-Plages, Quebec

Started by sharbin, May 30, 2008, 10:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I have no question that the brackets are perfect for the intended use but - if in a permit anal area, they likely will not have the required payola stamp the inspector will look for the insure that his buddies in the good ol' boy system were paid off.

I agree they are a very good item and resource if not in a code area.  Just mentioned this to save possible problems.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sharbin

Thanks Glenn for the heads up. In my case there are no inspectors to deal with.

glenn kangiser

That is a real plus. :)  In that case you will be able to use common sense. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sharbin

I asked around for someone to build my roof, and 2 different estimates put the cost at $9000. My question is, can I leave the building as is and leave it till next year? :-\ Any ideas on what choices do I have for covering it to last through the winter :-\

peteh2833

I would say some type of tarp but the it would collect so much water and snow that it would be a problem. Thats a good question. I quess you are running out of time to get it done??? Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

sharbin

yeah it seems I am  :-[ I was thinking of leaving it as is without roof, just the walls, and maybe cover the floor with tarp and leave the walls bare???!!!! :-\

alcowboy

No carpenter here but what if you put a temporary ridge beam and pull a tarp taught over that and anchor the tarp to the walls?

sharbin

I think Pete tried this but they had to puncture the tarp in order to remove the water and prevent damage to the ceiling... right Pete?

MadisonsDad

I think it would be in your best interest to cover it somehow. A temporary ridge sounds like a good idea, then some type of tarp. Your not by chance in farm country up there? I have a haystack tarp/cover that is very well built that would work perfect. If there were farmers close by maybe you could rent one for the winter from one of them?

It needs to be better than your run of the mill big box store tarp you get for $20 or it won't last long. How about the plastic they shrink wrap big boats in for storage? Probably to expensive and not big enough.

Just throwing out ideas here.  ???

They sell a pretty good canvas tarp at farm surplus stores that might work well.  It might take a few of them to do the trick.

My advice is if you can't put the roof on spend a little bit and protect what you have...

peteh2833

The problem I had is that we built a tempory ridge beam and pulled a large tarp very tight and attached it to the side walls. Even though we pulled it tight and we thought we had all the sag out of it, the tarp still collected water in a small area. It just kept holding more and more water. At least it didn't blow off with the wind storm we had!!!!!! Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

sharbin

sharbin

Good day all,

It has been a while, well almost 2 years I did not post here. So here is from where left off till now.

sharbin

here is the roof and dormers framed in November 2008 (was done by a framer not by me as I am not that good with hights especially that I am working alone 95% of the times  :-\) ):

-------------------------------

in December 2008 (roof framing is done):

Another screen shot:

And this is how it looked in the inside (it was snowing heavily during the roof framing, hence the snow inside. Also the gable sides were later finished in April-June 2009)

----------------------------------

in June 2009 (red metal roof is installed, again by a hired a professional) :

as well as all the missing plywood on the sides:

----------------------------------

In July/August 2009, Tyvek and 1x3 wood strapping is installed (the windows were installed in Sep):

--------------
In September 2009, trying to figure out how to install the windows:

.... installing them (this and another window are 5 feet wide and 6 feet high):

....and all the other windows (16 of them) in addition to 1 front door and 1 side door:

--------------------------
Front of the cottage as of November 2009:

Back:

east side:

west side:

---------------------

Started with the loft flooring in Sep 2009 and later finished it on June 2010 ::)

----------------------
Started with the siding on August 2010. This is where I am about as it stands now in Sepetember 2010:

Front:

Back:

East side:

a back/west side closer view:

nathan.principe

WOW! Im in love with your place  [cool]  Your execution is dead on, keep up the good work!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: sharbin on September 29, 2010, 02:03:44 PM
Good day all,

It has been a while, well almost 2 years I did not post here. So here is from where left off till now.

It is really coming together.  Nice job.  Keep us posted so when can see the finished results.

John Raabe

Nice looking sturdy project. Good work!

Are you doing a porch?
None of us are as smart as all of us.

sharbin

Thanks guys.
Yes John I will be building a porch, however I think it would be either next year or the year after it as I am looking forward to start finishing the inside to make it liveable  ::)

MaineRhino

Very nice work sharbin!   Nice to see an update! ;D

peteh2833

Nice Job !!!!! Looks great!!!! What kind of siding is that??? Pete
Pittsburgh Pa for home

Tionesta Pa for Camp

mogie01

All the hard work is paying off.  Love your place!  I really like your front door, I'm looking for one just like it without much success.

Mo

sharbin

Thanks Pete. This is a rough 1x8 cove style pre-stained white pine.

sharbin

Thanks Mo. That was a special order from a Canadian manufacturer. Here is their web site:
http://www.lemieuxdoors.com/en/

Quote from: mogie01 on October 07, 2010, 09:15:25 AM
All the hard work is paying off.  Love your place!  I really like your front door, I'm looking for one just like it without much success.

Mo

sharbin

Hello again.

Well after taking a long time thinking about the logistics of how to get to finish the dormers and the high parts of the cottage, I thought that's it. Time to do something.

I decided on using scaffolding. So I bought 2 sections 5x5 and 2 sections 5x3 (5 feet wide) plus 4 adjustable feet of 3 feet high, for a total of 18 feet high structure setup 10 feet apart. This way I will be working on 10 feet section at a time.

I started with one of the dormers. I built a catwalk type of form laid on the top plank to access the sides of the dormers. By the way I used climbing ropes, harness, ascender, and belay/relay devices just to make sure that I am safe up there.

Once I got used to working at that high with all the ropes (it took me 2 weeks to be that comfortable) the work went smooth. So now I am done with one of the dormers and tomorrow I will be starting with the rest. I am hopeful that each dormer (I have 4) will take me one day to finish (don't forget that I have to disassemble and reassemble the scaffolding. Did I mention that I am doing this alone  d*). I will take pictures and post it when I come back.

Wish me luck.

Cheers.

Redoverfarm

sharbin sometimes it just takes time to get acclaimated to your new surroundings. ;).  But like you said once you are then it will go easier.  When I was younger I thought nothing to shimmy up anything irregardless of the heigth.  Whether it is age, nerve or what I am not as comfortable as I once was.  Just takes longer to be safe I guess.  I think that the dormers set off the house.  Good luck, stay safe.