40'x13' with 15'x16' extension Cabin Rebuild

Started by Adam Roby, November 06, 2018, 06:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanS

Get a metal roof on asap. I watch barns with 1000 year foundation and timber frames around here implode in a year or two once the roof has a hole in it. It almost sounds like you may be better off just putting up a new camp.

I think I mentioned this before- but are Amish up there? You could buy a little cabin or shed and have it towed in.

Don_P

To some extent the existing is grandfathered, not saying it is or isn't the best option but do investigate the rules there and think before you wipe the slate clean.

Adam Roby

Quote from: Don_P on July 24, 2022, 07:41:24 AMTo some extent the existing is grandfathered, not saying it is or isn't the best option but do investigate the rules there and think before you wipe the slate clean.
Indeed, the town is quite tolerant with repairs, but would probably not let me rebuild a hunting cabin (without any electric/septic/well) with the same leniency.  I am trying to think of ways to fix without replacing it completely.  It's not easy when you are alone and only have a few weekends out of the year to do anything.  Covid has removed my key friends that would have been able to help (no vaccine, no entry to USA + 2 week quarantine when coming back).  I am currently thinking about pre-making some trusses and cutting out complete sections of the roof and patching it back together (new truss - same angle, new plywood sheathing, tar paper temporarily. I always have to think "this may be my last time here for 2 years", so half the time is actual work, the other half it trying to temporarily button things up just in case I don't get back.  It makes for a difficult build strategy.  

There is place locally that makes and delivers ready made cabins, small, between $7-10k for a basic model.  They ask you to put down a bed or gravel, and they lower it on skids.  I am almost tempted to do that...
https://www.adirondackstoragebarns.com/product/cozy-cottage/

I have never priced out gravel like that.  Is it expensive?  Maybe what 15-20 tons?  I have the tractor to remove the loose vegetation and to spread out the rock, would just need to rent a compactor for the weekend (no water source though).  

Adam Roby

Quote from: NathanS on July 23, 2022, 08:59:56 AMGet a metal roof on asap. I watch barns with 1000 year foundation and timber frames around here implode in a year or two once the roof has a hole in it. It almost sounds like you may be better off just putting up a new camp.

I think I mentioned this before- but are Amish up there? You could buy a little cabin or shed and have it towed in.

I think I found a place with economy metal, limited quantity (maybe end of run supplies).  I am waiting for a call back, but I think I can cover 90% with the same color, may need a few sheets of a different color in the back.  Just screw to the existing for now to help...   

jsahara24

I am in Oswego County, NY and there is a local amish metal roofing place that sells metal roofing pretty cheap, its been about 8 years since I bought from them but at that point it was about 2.2$/LF for 3' wide metal.  I think you're a couple hours from there, but potentially worth it depending.  Just thought i'd mention it.  

Good luck...

Adam Roby

Quote from: jsahara24 on July 29, 2022, 08:31:01 AMI am in Oswego County, NY and there is a local amish metal roofing place that sells metal roofing pretty cheap, its been about 8 years since I bought from them but at that point it was about 2.2$/LF for 3' wide metal.  I think you're a couple hours from there, but potentially worth it depending.  Just thought i'd mention it. 

Good luck...

Thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated.

Adam Roby

Well, it's that time of year again when my attention starts to focus on the cabin, and the lack of advancement happening there.  I think I might take the advice of others and consider tearing it down and focus on a small new building.

Thinking about my actual needs, I am now considering a simple 12'x12' structure.  As with my original plan, I do not want electric, nor plumbing.  I only really need a table with a couple of chairs, a cot for an occasional overnight stay, and a place to put a small camping stove.  I bring in drinking water and use a portable toilet.  I can slowly add a heat source and insulation over time, pretty it up inside, etc.  

I've been dying to try those foundation screws, still have not had the chance.  I think a small building like this might make sense to finally try it.  I am thinking of using 9 foundation screws, 3x3, with the center one being the "baseline" height.  That way if ever I need to level the building, I can use all the surrounding screws to adjust with the center one being fixed (to avoid having to go under the building).  They claim to be rated at 5000 lbs, so 9x 5000 = 45,000 lbs.  I hope more means better lateral stability.  I would lay the beams directly on the foundation screws, to further help that stability, and box in the beams to keep them from rotating.

I wonder now if a 12' building might make sense to build a mono-pitched roof?  I think I can get an adequate pitch using 2"x6"x16' rafters, leaving an ~18" overhang on either end.  I should also be able to order 16' metal roofing sheets.  I am just not sure how the eves would work, drip edges, etc.    

Just starting the design phase now.  I picked up a couple of those foundation screws, and as soon as the ground is defrosted I will test the soil to see if I can even get them in (not sure what the ground is like at my land).  

Best case scenario, the new building becomes my cabin, the old building get's dismantled and I keep the good lumber to build a kind of pole barn for the tractor/quad/trailer/etc.  The building has deteriorated faster than I can repair it, and at one point you have to just call it quits.  Worse case this new building becomes a shed.  Either way I need somewhere to store tools while I either work on or take down the old cabin.

I also checked out the Habitat For Humanity restore for used windows, they seem to still be decent and the cost is much lower than Big Orange.  They also have large boxes of nails and such for $10-20, although I think I would prefer to use screws.  I am designing this considering that I only have a 4x8 trailer.  The hope is to build wall sections at home, in the garage at home with electricity, then use the trailer to transport and install at the land.  I'll need the longer lumber to be delivered.  

If I go through with this, I guess I'll start a new thread.

NathanS

You also don't need to worry about code enforcement under 144 Sq ft. Sounds like a fun project. I moved my 10x14 shed after building my workshop this year. I leveled it with my hydraulic car jack, slipping blocks and whatever I had handy for shimming. Its on a pile of freshly filled dirt, no doubt I'll need to relevel it this year (or should).

Your call on the roof. 12 foot span as a lean to roof and in your snow load area you'd need to frame with 2x10 or 2x12, whereas with a gable you could actually use much shorter and lighter 2x6s.

MountainDon

Quote from: NathanS on February 27, 2023, 03:18:21 PMYour call on the roof. 12 foot span as a lean to roof and in your snow load area you'd need to frame with 2x10 or 2x12, whereas with a gable you could actually use much shorter and lighter 2x6s.

I prefer a gable roof in snow country. The rafters are easy enough to handle. The roof sheets are easier to handle too, but mainly it's because it is quite strong with lighter materials.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Adam Roby

Hmmm... interesting.  My original plan was to make a ridge beam with rafters on either side, but being limited with time a buddy recommended the mono pitch as a quicker way to get the roof up.  I did not really think about that span being problematic for snow loads. 

The idea was starting to grow on me.  What about having a center beam going across the width of the building?
Missing a lot of stuff here, but basic idea of what I mean.

EDIT:  Looking at it now, even the pitch is not fantastic.  Looks like a 4-12 pitch, using 10' front and 6' rear walls. 
Yeah... I think I just answered my own questions.  Back to the drawing board.