Build house then get utilities or get utilities then build?...

Started by ajbremer, January 08, 2011, 09:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

I was able to get power on the lot where I will build my house. I guess that is good because now I don't have to think about a generator.

I'm kind of in the country and away from city limits and I may even be able to get water there. Now I'm wondering about getting my septic, all before I even dig the first pier! But wait!

Now I'm thinking, why spend all that money when I can spend it on building materials and building my house - then get water and septic when the house is at least dried in.

Many of the threads I've seen here show people who build their house first and then, when the house is just about done, they get the septic dug, bring in the power, and then the water. My thought is that if I get a septic before the house is built, it won't even be used until there's a toilet and a bathroom. Now having water available while you build seems pretty logical to me.

Main question: what is the norm here? Build, then power, water, and septic? Like I've said, seems to me it would be more exciting to get at least dried in, spend money on house first?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

MountainDon

Having water available is nice especially if you will be mixing any concrete yourself. Good for everyday use too, but not necessary. But if it's going to be installed at some point...... ? 

Electricity is an essential to me. I'm not one who looks forward to manually cutting everything, manually drilling holes, etc. I know things used to be done that way, but barbers also used to pull teeth too. I love my power tools. I also hate loud generators. Maybe more than I like my power tools.  ???   :-\

Anyhow, if the power company I eventually going to be my power source I would look into options. maybe they will do a temporary pole and meter before construction starts? Maybe they can run power to a permanent pole and you could install the meter base there with a temp line to the worksite?

I already had one of those quieter inverter generators and I knew there was not going to be a power utility company involved so my decision was easy. Battery operated tools with sufficient spare batteries and a charger running off the vehicle battery via a small inverter is another option for many power tools. I also had that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Wow that is a great question.  I myself like the idea of utilities.  Partly because there you are playing with unknowns, and partly because of creature comforts.  Believe it or not we had to move where our septic tank and indeed the house site up at our ranch by about 500' or more.  We just could not find a hole that would pass the perk test.  Once the septic tank and drain field is placed or location is nailed down then you can really develop a site plan.  The well measures like 100 from the drain field.  http://www.inspectapedia.com/water/ClearancesWells.htm

Have they done a perk test on your property? 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rdzone

There was no power in the area when we started building but one of the neighbors decided to pull power as a pioneer line at the time I could either finish my cabin or pitch in the $16,000 no that isn't a typo! I decide to run my generator until the 5 yr pioneer status expired, which was 1 Jan 2011, I have to get an official estimate, but the last time i talked to the engineer he said it should only cost a couple of grand.  I hope to have power pulled this spring.
Chuck

waggin

I'll echo what Rick said on the septic, and I'll throw in the additional consideration that more and more places are going to higher end (and cost) septic system requirements.  That conventional system you might get approved for today may be a pressure distribution system next time you look into it.  Even worse, it might progress to the point of something with a sand filter or UV light treatment.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

duncanshannon

Hi-

I've been asking the same sort of question... we've recently discussed it a bit over here http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10080.0

Bottom line is that it seems to be a 'what ever work for you' thing.

Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

HoustonDave

In order of convenience before starting structure I'd say electrical definitely before build if you can swing it for under a couple thousand. Water is good to have but not as critical. Septic ditto.

As others have said though, there are concerns on septic placement. What if you plan out septic location, build based on that location, then find the septic can't go there. Be sure of where water, septic, and structure CAN all play nice together before putting shovel to dirt.
My lakefront cabin project in East Texas
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10025.0

ScottA

You can wait till the house is done to put in utlities but make 100% sure you can get these things before you start. Know where your septic will go and that you have an acceptable location that will perk. Know where your water is going to come from. If you are drilling a well are you sure you can find water? Are there other wells in the area? How much water do they put out? Power is optional but the same rules apply. It's bad news to get the house built only to find out you can't get water or there is no good place for a septic close to the house.

bayview

We built our garage using a 5000 watt generator.   It wasn't real convenient but it got the job done. . .    The generator would run the various smaller electric tools.   Like the skil saw and power drills but, not the Ridgid air compressor.   We ended up purchasing a "cheap" compressor from Walmart.   We didn't want to run the generator continuously.   So there was planning, marking, lay-out, then generator starting for the cuts and the compressor for the air nailer.

We installed a permanent electric pole instead of a temporary.   The pole was pre-assembled with weather head, meter box, grounding line and 200 amp service.   All of electric will be installed underground.   Thankfully we went this route, instead of overhead lines.   We had high winds and a possible tornado go across our property.   Many of the neighbors lost electric due to downed trees.

We had the water meter installed right after we purchased our property.   More for the savings than anything.   The hookup was $400.00 at the time.   The co-op has been sold and the new meters installed are $1500.00

We have built a smaller cabin on site.   But will not move into it until we are ready to build the larger cabin.   At that time we will install the septic.   Even though we have an acre of land with plenty of room for a conventional septic system, the State of Texas supposedly is now requiring aerobic systems. . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

rdzone

Thought I would add a little more.  We had the well drilled prior to having the foundation built. That way I could get the water line where I wanted it and it didn't have to go through block wall. We also determined where the septic would go, but my lot is all glacial till and perks very well so no real problems there. I would have loved to have power but between my little 2000 watt gen set and my cordless paslode/hitachi cordless framers it wasn't to hard to get things done.
Chuck

ajbremer

These are all excellent posts and I appreciate them all.

Many of you here are building on acre(s), I am building on a small lot - 75 x 135. I bought the 'Little House Plans' and I'm modifying them to 16x28 (trying to basically copy Mr. Nash's place at: http://www.countryplans.com/nash.html.

I also bought 3D Home Architect Deluxe Version 3.0 off of eBay but I'm a little frustrated by the 'out-of-date' version. It has no 'User Manual' and I'm trying to find some good tutorials for it but since the software is so old, it's just not that simple. I really wish that someone who really knows the software good, would create some video tutorials for this old version 3.0. I developed a trig program many years ago and I've made tutorial videos for it and it's not that difficult, the tools to do it are free and readily available. (See one of them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVND0VmJBF4.

We've got much of the lot cleared and have the spot where we want our house marked. I'm pretty blessed because I was able to get power immediately and I paid a guy $500 to install the construction pole with meter-base and outlet and he ran wires from the main pole.

As far as water, I think I have to come up with $1,000 and show my deed and that's it! That sounds good to me.

I'm going to get a 'perk dude' out there as soon as possible. I dug a hole there awhile back, it was about 2 feet deep. I filled it with 2 gallons of water and then came back to it 15 minutes later and the water went down about 1/2 an inch. Is that bad or good? Some have told me that I should have filled it to the top because it'll drain differently in the top most soil. Anyway, I'll soon see.

Since I am just starting to build, I will be starting my post under the 'Owner-Builder Projects' heading very soon. There, I will try to document my progress and cost - every step of the way using pictures and videos.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

Squirl

On your own percolation test, did you saturate the hole first?  On a small lot, I would definitely put in the septic first.  You never know what is below the soil till you dig.  I have heard a few stories of people who got approved, started to dig and hit a rock shelf or something similar.  They had to move the system.  I don't know the economics of land prices and alternative septic systems in your area, but in worst case scenarios, sometimes it is cheaper to cut losses and get another parcel.  It is hard to do once you spend all the time money and effort on the house. 

Also from another perspective, investment wise.  It is easier to get a loan, or sell the property with value added with a septic system if funds run short.  The value added for septic and wells are so great, I have seen some developers install them on lots before the lot is sold.

rocking23nf

hard to live without power for me, my cabin is gonna be more like a second home in a quite area, but im going to have satelitte and currently have a fridge/freezer.  No power would be too remote for me.