Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Thursday Morning - June 28th, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

Got out very early this morning and drove to Lowe's to get some things. I bought 4 of those roof jack/brackets, 1 roll of #30 felt, and some nails. I wanted also to look for a safety harness but only found a safety kit for $130.00. It's OSHA approved and has everything in it, even a 25 foot cord. I had it on my cart to buy but then I put it back due to finances and bills.

One thing about building your house payday to payday is that, for me, it's easy to neglect some bills and buy wood and other things to build your house instead BUT, that's not the right thing to do and I'm trying to get out of that 'habit' so I put that $130 roofer's fall protection kit back. I very much do want to buy it soon though, it's a lot better than my home made strapping.

Here's the link to Lowe's ANSI/OSHA Compliance Roofer's Fall Protection Kit

http://www.lowes.com/pd_134465-98-94050-00000_0__?Ntt=osha+roof+fall+protection&productId=3101473&rpp=16
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

suburbancowboy

I bought the same kit and only ended up using it once.  I actually ended up putting my step son in it once when we put extra staples in the osb on the  roof.  If you have ever done any repelling you might find a cheaper outfit that way that does the same thing.

UK4X4

climbing harness is less than 50usd

a couple of caribiners 10usd

and the rope you allready have

1 off large eye bolt

Alan Gage

RE: roof harnesses

Be careful with that roof harness. Realize that even though it will catch you during a fall it can still kill you if there's no one around lower you to the ground if you're left hanging. All it takes is a few minutes.

Info:

http://www.elcosh.org/en/document/590/d000568/will-your-safety-harness-kill-you%253F.html

I'd never heard of this but the other day my dad was telling me about a show he watched where someone was trying to design a better harness to solve this problem. His reason for trying to come up with a new design is that one day he was working on a roof with a crew and when he walked around a corner of the house one of the roofers was hanging dead in his harness.

It seems self rescue is very difficult to nearly impossible with many harnesses. So even though you might only be suspended 5' above the ground you're unable to get yourself out of the harness or unclip for a safe drop to the ground.

Alan

ajbremer

Wow...man! I never realized all that stuff about suspension trauma.

Maybe I should just put all that safety kit money into mattresses and position them on the ground!

ajbremer

Friday Morning - June 29th, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

I bought 6 roof brackets all together yesterday, 4 adjustable ($8.98) and 2 non-adjustable 45 degree angled ones ($6.98). I put 2 of the adjustable ones up yesterday and nailed only 1 sheet down. Oh well, at least I was able to get up there for a little bit, it was about 110 degrees up there.

Today, I hope to really get after it and get a lot done but another subject caught my attention early this morning as I was checking morning emails and websites. Believe it or not, one of the items on yahoo's front page this morning was about stair riser height. Someone noticed that their New York city subway station stairway was causing just about everyone to trip at the same place. He found the culprit, one riser was a fraction of an inch higher than the others. Well, he took a video of everyone tripping on that particular stair and many thousands of people started to watch it and the video went viral (a term used when youtube videos go into the hundreds of thousands).

This comes to my attention because I've been reading about building my stairs and kind of getting psyched to begin the project. One thing about building a place with a loft and doing its roof is that you go up and down ladders hundreds of times throughout a days work.

Anyway, seeing this video has strengthened my awareness of riser height. Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-22FjgoE4

considerations

The thing that struck me is how filthy those stairs are....ICK  :P

CjAl

lol. never been to.new york huh? the video can show the filty, it cant show the god awfull smell

pmichelsen

The thing I take away from that video is just how amazing the human brain really is. Your brain notices how high you have to lift your foot after a few stairs and then goes on auto pilot after that. The human body is truly amazing.

But to your point, yes it is very important to get your stairs all the same.

ajbremer

Friday - June 29th, 2012 - Mid-Oklahoma

Started the 3rd row, little by little - it's getting done:

metolent

Amazing Al!  Looking great!   [cool]

Hope your staying cool ... most of the time....

ajbremer

Monday Morning - July 2nd, 2012 - Mid Oklahoma

I finished the major portion of sheathing on the south side and now I've started the north side. As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I've left that bottom portion open for the porch rafters and the top has to have some narrow sheets put up that will go to the ridge vent line but I want to leave that open till I finish the major portion on this north side. Then I can get up top and put those narrow sheets one by one on each side.

After that, I can lay my felt. I went out and bought one roll of #30 felt but I think I'm going to take it back to Lowe's and get the GRACE - TriFlex stuff. It has really good reviews (read some of them), cost $112, and is 4' wide by 250'. Here's the link:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_283849-711-5008030_4294858150__?productId=3151833&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

CjAl

does your lowes carry it?  mine doesnt butbone over in louisianna does.

ajbremer

Yes, I have read where the GRACE - TriFlex underlayment is not in the Lowe's stores but has to be ordered and/or delivered. I'm going to Lowe's today to return a roll of #30 felt and I'm going to see if I can order the TriFlex.

Thanks again CjAl

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on June 27, 2012, 10:26:07 PM
snip................................

As I get older I tend to tie off more, the realization that my bounce is gone, I just go crunch :P

[shocked] :D ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

astidham

a friend of mine bought grace at home depot here in tulsa
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

Hey astidham,

How's work?

Anyway, I returned my roll of #30 flet today to Lowe's in McAlester, OK and I asked them about that Grace-TriFlex 4 foot wide underlayment. They said I would have to pay first and then they'll order it and it should be in the store in 1-1/2 weeks - about. I'm not sure I want to do that. I'll probably drive to a place like you mentioned and get it right there and then. Thanks for the heads up sir.

Ok, all together this weekend I didn't get as much done as I thought I would but I had a great time with family. I was able to get the first row of the north side done.

astidham

Quote from: ajbremer on July 02, 2012, 06:08:47 PM
Hey astidham,

How's work?

Anyway, I returned my roll of #30 flet today to Lowe's in McAlester, OK and I asked them about that Grace-TriFlex 4 foot wide underlayment. They said I would have to pay first and then they'll order it and it should be in the store in 1-1/2 weeks - about. I'm not sure I want to do that. I'll probably drive to a place like you mentioned and get it right there and then. Thanks for the heads up sir.

Ok, all together this weekend I didn't get as much done as I thought I would but I had a great time with family. I was able to get the first row of the north side done.

everything is going good, hope is good for you also.
your progress is amazing!
my buddy that used grace, didn't really care for.
after it was in the Oklahoma sun for about 3 days, it shrunk up, tight as a snare drum, and was pulling away from the cap-nails.
I used palisade.
it is a synthetic felt, kinda resembles a tarp.
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

Now that you say that about the GRACE-TriFlex underlayment, that it stretches in the heat, I read a review that it did that.

Where did you buy yours, and what's the specs...got a link? Thanks

astidham

Quote from: ajbremer on July 02, 2012, 07:45:42 PM
Now that you say that about the GRACE-TriFlex underlayment, that it stretches in the heat, I read a review that it did that.

Where did you buy yours, and what's the specs...got a link? Thanks
http://www.sdp-products.com/HTML/palisade.html
got mine at a metal roof and building supply in Tulsa.
— Henry Ford

ajbremer

Tuesday Afternoon - July 3rd, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

Thanks for the reply astidham, I may have to take a drive there soon.

Today:

Only able to get a couple sheets up today. I had to switch the lift poles to the back side in order to lift sheets up for the north side roof (north is back yard).

Here's today's pic: (There's a window question and another pic after this.)

Now I have a window question:

My east gable end has 4 narrow and tall windows, 2 on each side of the ridge beam post. I have full pane glass for these windows, bought them off a friend from work and they are industrial grade, dual pane, argon, etc. I've had a few friends install windows like this and bought them from the same guy at work. They said they just put some rubber under it, and trimmed it inside and out. I know there's more to it than that and I'm sure that I'm not mentioning everything they said to me about how they installed it, it has been awhile since they told me.

Can anyone explain the steps I need to take to install this? Do I set the window so that it's closer to the outside or inside, and also, should I put something like a drip edge under it to make sure the water running onto the outside sill drips away from the window? Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. In the mean time, I'm going to look for youtube vids on this. Thanks.

In this picture I simply set the window in the hole.

UK4X4

Al

to me that looks rather close in size to the openning

In the UK we used to use wood window frames
all the time set into concrete walls

May give you some ideas

the frames were usually 2x2 or 2x3 mortised frames set onto a wooden sloped windowsill with a drip edge
to the exterior and the interior the window is held in place by 1/4 round or triangular wooden strips

the exterior usually nailed and glued in place, the inner just nailed

The windows themselves were set within the frame on a bed of putty bottom and front face only

The windows them selves I used to order 5mm smaller than my frame.

To install the sill and frame wood be set onto a glue / concrete mix- or later just a full tube of silicone

The sides and top of the frame were then wedged in place and then screwed into the masonary

line the openning with the putty, install the window and nail in the inner 1/4 sections

Between the wood frame and the brickwork sealent was used.

Sill section was like this

ajbremer

Wednesday Afternoon - July 4th, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

Thank you so much for that window info UK4x4.

Here's what's going on today:

I own and am trying to sell another house around here in Oklahoma and had to do a little yard work there today. Well, this house has a car port that has about a 12' x 20' roof over it. I noticed another way of attaching porch (carport) rafters to the main rafters...below them on the main rafter tails. This method of attaching porch rafters to the rafter tails of the main rafters alone doesn't seem very strong BUT this house was built in the late 1930's. I guess if they also would have put a ledger under the ends of the porch/carport rafters it would have been ok. The deal is though, it's held up over 70 years!

I just thought I would post a picture of another method of attaching porch rafters to main rafters.

This first picture is the countryplan that I'm building now. It shows the method that I'm going to use in order to attach my porch rafters to my main rafters, on top of the blocking and nailed to the main rafters. The picture shows me using a 2x4 but I'll be using 2x8's for my porch rafters. The picture immediately after it shows the old house using the main houses rafter tails for support.

Be sure to check out the 3rd and last picture of this post. I bought my front door today off of an old neighbor. It is a wooden door that came from a church and it has the jam with it and everything. I'll have to refinish it and replace 1 cracked pane but other than that, it was a great deal...I paid $15.00 for it!

CjAl

nice score on the door. i see doors in worse shape, usually painted and no glass for $85-$100 on craigslist

ajbremer

Thursday Afternoon - July 5th, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

Thanks CjAl, ya - I'm pretty excited about that door. It'll be great when I fill all of my window and door holes!

Well, this weekend I really didn't get as much done as I expected but I spent quality time with family and that is higher on the list than the house.

I've got the 2nd row of osb on the north side now. All I have to do is to finish nailing it down and then I'll be pulling sheets up to the third row. I've never sweat so much in my life being on top of that roof in 100 degree sunshine. I wipe it off and 2 minutes later I'm drenched.

Here it is so far: