Al and Robins 20x30 1 1/2 near Lake Eufaula, OK

Started by ajbremer, May 09, 2011, 04:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Personally I would have went w/ 5/8" on the roof. 7/16" is OK for the wall sheeting.  If (?) you do decide to go w/ 7/16" on the roof and decide to for go the purlins situate them where the length joints would be.

CjAl

i wouldnt let in 2x4's into you 2x8's. that essentially turns your rafters into 2x6's because of the notches and that wont span 15 foot if i remember correctly. regaurdless i wouldnt want 2x6 rafters

personally i owuld just go buy 5/8's sheething. how much 7/16 do you have?

ajbremer

I have 32 sheets of 7/16's. I guess I jumped the gun on that one and didn't do my homework well enough. Maybe I can call my lumber company whom I've been dealing with all along and maybe they'll take them back when I buy the 5/8's. I don't think I can use the 7/16 anywhere else on my build, right?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

CjAl

i used 7/16 plywood on my shed roof and even it is wavy. if i were closer id take it off your hands for wall sheathing but i'm not local.

ajbremer

I've had people around me here say things like:

"I've been building houses for 30 years and around here we use 7/16 on 2x6's for roofs at 2' centers."

There's not many good roofs around here.

CjAl

i am from WI origonally. our "old" houses are 100+yo. when i moved down here i couldnt for the life of me figure.out why the realtor kept telling me to "stay away from that house, its old. it was built in the 70's" afterall my farmhouse i sold to.move here was from the late 1800's.

after being here a while and seeing the building practices i totally understand. no building codes isnt a good thing

suburbancowboy

I'm in the same boat with lots of extra 7/16's osb.  I plan on using my left overs to build a large shed.  Could you use a shed???

ajbremer

Tuesday Morning - June 5th, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

Hey thanks for the post CjAl and suburbancowboy.

I resolved my 7/16's osb problem. I called my lumber company and they are coming out today to pickup my 32 sheets of 7/16's osb and replace them with 32 sheets of 5/8's. It cost me $141.22 more.

Cursed 7/16's!!!

Redoverfarm

Quote from: ajbremer on June 05, 2012, 10:02:42 AM
Tuesday Morning - June 5th, 2012 Mid-Oklahoma

Hey thanks for the post CjAl and suburbancowboy.

I resolved my 7/16's osb problem. I called my lumber company and they are coming out today to pickup my 32 sheets of 7/16's osb and replace them with 32 sheets of 5/8's. It cost me $141.22 more.

Cursed 7/16's!!!

Wise move aj. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

ajbremer

Thanks go to all who post and put up with me.

I wish I could kick back and go through a bunch of builds like I used to before I started. But now that I've started and am trying to do all I can every single day, I don't have much time to study other builds and compliment on all y'alls like I used to here on countryplans.

I am glad that I did spend many months heavily going through builds here before I started my own build. I'm just hoping that I'll remember most of the stuff that I've learned.

I'll tell ya what, being up there on that loft every day lately, doing the roof stuff, there is no shade what so ever and the temps here in mid Oklahoma are getting in the 90's. I remember last year when I started to dig my very first pier hole. it was 115 degrees!

Thank you all again!

ajbremer

Hey, I just came across something on yahoo's front page ads this afternoon.

It talks about the countries most dangerous jobs, fatality wise. In the top ten, cops are only number 10 and fishermen are number 1.

Well, guess what's number 6...roofers!

I would have never guessed that. I'm going to be extra safe when I get up there, that's for sure. Here's the link to the article:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs.html

Redoverfarm

AJ you can have the high temps.  This morning it was 43F and now it is only 68F.  Last week it was 85-90F and I was wishing for Fall.  Now I would be satisfied with Summer.  Need to get that roof sheeted so you can have some shade.   ;)

CjAl

its been 95 here. i so wanted to be where you are by this time of the year. i didnt want to be digging holes when its 90 at 8am

MountainDon

Quote from: ajbremer on June 04, 2012, 05:32:56 PM
.... said that it would be wise to put 2x4 purlins across the length of the rafters by way of siting in notches....

Don't listen to that and do not do it Al. That'll turn your 2x8's into 2x6's.   Use H-clips on the panel edges; they will help set the spacing and help connect the edges together.   Some folks use 5/8" OSB to make the roof panels more rigid.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ajbremer

Thanks MountainDon,

As I mentioned in a few posts up Don, I traded in my 7/16's osb and got 32 sheets of 5/8's osb so now I won't do any purlins. I'll just lay'em on the rafters.

MountainDon

oooops I didn't read far ewnough along..... too much getting caught up.  ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

Al- all your questions and the input from others has almost made your thread a how to guide- discussing the pitfalls along the way.

For me its a daily read !

ajbremer

Hey thanks a lot UK4X4.

This countryplan place and its people have been an immeasurable help to me. I've said it over and over again here, these few dedicated people who really know their stuff are people that everyone here should listen too.

Everytime a countryplan plan is sold to someone, there should be a page within the added 'readme' booklet that tells about the strengths of using this forum, the science of how to post, ask questions, proper etiquette, placement of pics and videos, examples, and most of all - testimonies of personal accomplishments.

We've talked about a donate button here for helpful individuals in past posts. I think that there should be a donate button for this site itself - especially for those people who never have purchased plans from here but have gotten worthy information and just want to pay back and help out a little bit. Just a thought.

Don_P

I wonder about having a thread where people can post links to what they consider to be very good posts explaining one detail or another. From that condensing snips from those posts into "articles" or "tip pages" on particular subjects. when someone asks an oft repeated question, say on foundations, we don't have to repeat reams of information, just point to the article for initial reading and then they can jump off from there. We seem to get stuck down in the trenches and quite frankly after the tenth go on the same topic you begin to skip stuff and get lazy in responses.  The questioner gets to read the best of the best and then everyone moves up a rung questionwise.

CjAl

Don_P

It was kind of funny the other day. We were on page 1 of a chapter in an engineering text arguing. I turned the page, and there was uncharted arguing territory  :)

CjAl

if all else fails there is always religion and politics.

al, i come here every day to check your thread too. i like the honesty of it

JavaMan

Quote from: Don_P on June 05, 2012, 08:44:15 PM
We seem to get stuck down in the trenches and quite frankly after the tenth go on the same topic you begin to skip stuff and get lazy in responses.  The questioner gets to read the best of the best and then everyone moves up a rung questionwise.

No, that was Squirl that was stuck down in the trench, wasn't it? (http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10998.0) [rofl2] - sorry squirl ... I just couldn't help myself. d*

I agree, tho.  It would be kinda nice to have a "Here's the definitive argument about that topic" links page ;)

And just so I don't drift too far - I always have to pop in here when I see that it's got a new post.  There was even a few things I picked up here in the last month that I wish I'd known about 15 months ago!  Would have saved me some time and money

ColchesterCabin

I am in a lull with my project as well waiting on finalization of my floorplan which is cool cause it gives me that time to go back through the site and correct my future plans and plan accordingly into the future. Al looks spectacular.
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

ajbremer

Wednesday Morning - 6/06/2012 Mid-Oklahoma

I have my lookouts all framed in. Now I just have to snap a line and cut them and hang the barge rafters.

One mistake I made on my 2 ridge beams is that I forgot to lay a piece of house wrap on the very top of the beams that are together so that rain wouldn't get in between the crack. Well, there was a storm a few days ago and the rain got in there and now it has cupped at the top. Another mistake is that I didn't finish screwing the 2 beams together all the way, especially at the top. Well, I guess the combination of that rain and the force of the rafters at the bottom has made the beams cup and begin to separate at the very top.

Now I'm going to clamp and use some really long screws and see what I can do. I'm also going to cover that seem up like I was going to in the beginning.

I uploaded a couple of videos from this mornings work. Here is a video of the 32 sheets of 7/16's being traded for 5/8's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPk4_3N48s

And here is the main video from today showing me up there at the top at 30 feet and then going down below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuvlPBCeEQw

I bought a neat little booth at a yard sale, it's like a restaurant both, small and it fits nicely up there in the loft. The thing feels like it weighs 250lbs! Here is me sitting at my booth in the loft with countryplans online: