Cutting your own lumber with a chainsaw

Started by admin, November 05, 2004, 10:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Here is a simple jig that attaches to a chainsaw and allows you to square logs or cut rough lumber.

http://www.mill-your-own-lumber.com/

This would be an inexpensive way to get your framing package for a cabin, woodshed or other rough structure.

borgdog

One thing I learned that I didn't see quickly scanning that site is that normal chain-saw chains don't really rip cut that well.  Here is a site that sells ripping chains, as well as other mills.

http://www.toolcenter.com/sawmill/

John

Hi Guys/Gals

Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that ordinary chains will do just fine when using this $35(Canadian Price)  Beam Machine.

If you are only interested in "decking over" or slabbing 2 sides of a log to "stack" & build your Log Wall for your Cabin this unique little tool that you bring into the woods with you works great!

If however you need to mill 1" x 6", 1''x8''  etc.  you may want to purchase a "rip chain" that gives a smother cut.

Before leaving I want to warn you that many dealers overprice these chains. I have seen some dealers sell them as much as $100. Friends they only cost $28 - $35/each. The best place to shop for these are at your local dealer who understands how easy rip chains are to use. Be carefull where you shop - you would not believe how easy you can be overcharged for things.  

John
www.mill-your-own-lumber.com

Randy Beck

hi I have been using this jig for some time now. If you are cutting a large # of sticks you can refile an old chain you no longer are using so that it is almost straight across. If you look at a rip hain and your own chain that comes with your saw you will see that you can file your old ones to make a rip chain for this mill. It takes a bit of time but you will save some money for yourself.

Randy Beck

chuck

Also for rip chain & portable saw mills check out Bailey's Woodsman Supply.

I think I paid around $20 for a rip chain.

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm

For a minimill (really just a sliding clamp) that you can see up close - check them out at your local Woodsmith store - although they will cost you a little more.

These guides work well - I cut up 5 large pines with one - but they do put a lot of strain on your back.

As the earlier post said - you don't have to use the rip chain - but it does make cutting a little faster.

Jim Colley

Hi friends
Just wanted to let you know to avoid injurin your back you can raise your logs up to a comfortable level when working on them.

I rigged up a roughly built sawhorse to place under both ends of my logs. Another problem I had when I first used my mini mill was that i had a tendency to drag the saw down the length of the log instead of arcking the saw up & down. Talk about building up a sweat when you do something the wrong way.

Well hope this help out. Logs are heavy to work with so take advantage of everything you can find to do things a little easier.

later
JC