20 X 24 Shed Roof Cabin in upstate South Carolina

Started by chaddhamilton, October 17, 2011, 11:56:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColchesterCabin

Chad,

Cool design I like a lot of other had looked at these plans but opted for more complication...lol Like we all don't have enough! I too have recently started a build project and can't wait to get it going this weekend. What are the plans for the interior, drywall or wood finish of some sort?

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

chaddhamilton

Quote from: markert2523 on April 15, 2012, 01:42:04 PM
I was wondering how you attached your deck beam to the posts?
Are you planning a roof over the deck? 
If so, how are you going to attach/support the roof beam and posts?
Markert

Hey Markert.  I've been away for a while with stuff,  but lemme answer your questions.

The deck posts have L brackets that attach them to the beam which I added recently because I know my inspector will require it.    I called for a rough inspection yesterday, so i may have to add bracing....we'll see
Yes, I just got the roof on this past weekend and my framing buddy really made it look easy.  We set the ledger board, then attached the simpson 6x6 uplift post brackets(the pricey ones...haha) to the deck.  There are 5 roof posts and they were all notched to accept the double 2x10 header. We set the 5 posts and temp braced them, then cut a template rafter(2x8) that is fully notched(not just birdmouthed) to fit.  It locks the whole thing in very tight...it was a lot more work cutting those pockets in the rafters, i will say that.  When a rafter met over a post we had to cut for that.  But it looks very nice and professional and we did it in one very long day so that we could ride dirtbikes the next.   We'll see what the inspector has to say.

I'll post a few pics this week. 

germangirl

Any pictures? Bet it's coming along nicely. Can't wait to hear and see the progress. :)

chaddhamilton

I'm slowing making some progress.  I took some friends up over the weekend for a boys getaway. Amazingly, we got the porch railings up, added some fire blocking to the walls, took down a dead tree and consumed significant quantities of cheap beer and nitratates.  But we did complete everything on the todo list, so I'm thankful for that.

The railings turned out great.  I was originally going to do wood balusters, but after replacing the rotted rails on my own home last year, I decided to go with painted aluminum balusters from Home Depot. Yes,  they're a bit more money than wood, but they will last a lot longer with very little upkeep.

We also took some measurements of the roof and I have ordered my metal roofing which we've scheduled to do mid July.   Should have my siding on before the end of summer as long as the money's there to do it.

As we left her:

ColchesterCabin

The deck looks amazing. What did you use for your decking material. looks cedar! And I love the balusters touch looks really good. I look at that then I think of my build and I think that look will look well with a screen inserts for below and above the railing to close off the deck for bugs... hmm and now I'm thinking I like the idea thanks for the inspiration...
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

chaddhamilton

Quote from: ColchesterCabin on June 26, 2012, 04:27:05 PM
The deck looks amazing. What did you use for your decking material. looks cedar! And I love the balusters touch looks really good. I look at that then I think of my build and I think that look will look well with a screen inserts for below and above the railing to close off the deck for bugs... hmm and now I'm thinking I like the idea thanks for the inspiration...

Thanks,   everything is PT pine.  I think the red tint comes from all the red clay we've tracked onto the porch....god i hate red clay.

mogie01

I love your railings, that's what we plan to do in the loft of our cabin.  What size of wood did you use to create the railing, did you make a spacer or something to get the spaces exactly the same, then drill holes for the balusters?  Your cabin is amazing  :)

chaddhamilton

Quote from: mogie01 on June 29, 2012, 11:57:45 AM
I love your railings, that's what we plan to do in the loft of our cabin.  What size of wood did you use to create the railing, did you make a spacer or something to get the spaces exactly the same, then drill holes for the balusters?  Your cabin is amazing  :)

Hey, Mogie. It was really a piece of cake doing these...just time consuming. The horizontals are 2x4's with a 2x6 top cap. 

For each section, all you do is measure between your posts and cut your top and bottom 2x4's to that length.  Then lay them together and clamp them.  Take your tape measure and make a mark every 4 inches(per code).  Here's the rub: visually, you don't want your last baluster to end too close to your posts, so you may need to offset your first mark so that your ends look "right".  Easier to explain in person, but you'll understand once you get started.   So once you have your marks, take your framing square and mark both rails.

The balusters came in packs of 15 along with with 30 nipples and screws.  Screw the nipples to your top and bottom rails at each mark and then unclamp and lay on your deck. Now you just insert your balusters (better with 2 or even better 3 people) into the nipples and the section is ready to attach to your posts.  Or alternately you can attach your bottom rail to your posts, then set the balusters in the bottom and then attach the top rail.   We did it both ways...the former easier we thought.    Each section took about 1/2 hour(1 beer :).

hope this helps.

chadd

stricsm

Hey Chad, love your cabin - might use that plan for a guest cabin at the lake (if I ever finish rehabbing the old cabin).  I used the same balusters on my deck at home.  I found this handy picket spacing calculator that makes it simple - I like simple.

http://www.virginiarailingandgates.com/calculations_picketspace.asp

Steve_B

It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

chaddhamilton

Hey, yes, have made some progress.  I started on the roof in mid July and got that done in two back-to-back weekends. Prolly not the wisest time of year to do that, but it's what I had.  It's a standard 5v galvalume metal roof and getting those 26' panels up there was a huge PIA, not to mention it was close to 100 degrees.  I can't believe I still have friends willing to go back up there after that...ha!

Moved onto the fasica and soffit in August and last weekend finished two sides of the house with Hardie siding.   Planning on heading up in a few weeks and getting the siding completed and then start painting the exterior.  I'm on schedule  to have the exterior done and then start wiring and plumbing over the winter.

Cheers and beers,
Chadd

ben2go

Don't wanna stand out in the woods unless it's an area where people hunt.I like camo paint scheme.

waggin

Nice design, and it suits the site very well.  I've always loved that single pitch, shed roof with clerestory windows and the covered porch/deck on the front.   [cool]
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

Steve_B

Can I ask what town it is being built in South Carolina?
It's all about the kiddies I tell you...

chaddhamilton

My property is in Pickens and borders Table Rock state park.

tightspot

Longtime lurker on these boards...finally decided to join.  I love your cabin design, especially the big porch.   The more I look at the shed roof the more I like it.   Are you satisfied with your choice on the roof?

chaddhamilton

Well, I'm making some progress. 

I spent 3 days up over the weekend solo and have the exterior finished; After I got all the siding on,  I realized that I didn't like the looks of the windows without trim.  It was too bare looking.  Wifey suggested that I make it pretty, so I brought up the ol' angle grinder, a pack of cut off disks and a fresh respirator and  retrofitted some fancier-looking window trim.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it did take some time carefully cutting all that hardie back with a disk.

New  widow trim:

After that it was just caulking and painting for 2 straight days but I got it done Sunday afternoon.

I did take a break from painting to use my Alaskan chainsaw mill.   I felled a pretty nice red oak back in July and I really wanted that wood to go in the cabin.   With the mill,  I was able to get two  4" x 9" x 12' beams out of it.   The problem was the slabs were down the hill, and there was no way in hell I was carrying them up. So I borrowed my sons 4 wheeler and wagon  ;D   After alot of cussing and a hernia in the making, I was able to get them loaded aboard my not-so-OSHA approved setup and hauled up the hill.  I would love to have been a bystander.   

As I left her.   

Hope everyone is keepin' busy and has a good holiday season.

Chadd

chaddhamilton

Hola, Shane!   I was hoping to find some pics of a finished kitchen to show to my wife for inspiration and so you can only image my surprise when I saw your pics of your place...looks great and I love the floor.

I finished my plumbing last month and am working on my electrical and also building a small shed to store all my stuff up there.    Looking like I'll be done in a year or so.  Paid a deposit to a well drilling firm who are supposed to start drilling this week, so I'm planning  to head up next month with a rented trencher and some buddies to run my water service line and destroy my driveway.  One step forward, one step back :) 

allen80233

Hi Chad,

I'm following your project with much interest. I'm seriously considering a modified version of this plan for my site in Kansas.

Looks like you are pretty far along, and it would help me to get your opinion about whether or not you think there is enough space for a small loft open to the interior space below along the front. My interior configuration would be much different than the normal plan if a loft were possible. I figure if I'm going to spend the money for the plans to be changed, I'll get the interior configuration changed too.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Tim Allen

OzarkBrandon

I thought your windows looked fine before, but the trim did really dress them up.  I think that ended up being a good choice.  Place is looking great, and I appreciate the time you spend taking and posting pics...  Keep up the good work.

chaddhamilton

Quote from: allen80233 on July 27, 2013, 05:54:47 PM

Looks like you are pretty far along, and it would help me to get your opinion about whether or not you think there is enough space for a small loft open to the interior space below along the front. My interior configuration would be much different than the normal plan if a loft were possible. I figure if I'm going to spend the money for the plans to be changed, I'll get the interior configuration changed too.

Hey Tim.  With the 12' front wall there is room for a loft  but your headroom would be about 4' max at the peak.  I do think it could make a good place to store sundries(extra beer), linens and whatnot; however, I would definitely consider your access point and ladder options because floor space is a premium.  Once suggestion(if you're already considering changing the floorplan), is to increase the height of the front wall to 14' or 16'.  That would give you more useable loft area for sure and it's something I wish I would have considered, but being a neophyte, I stuck to the plans.

Hope this helps, Tim.  Post some pics when you get started.

Chadd

redjhoo

Chad yours was indeed a very nice build.
Would be great if you had some more photo's of the inside and exterior.
Hope you have many years of fulfillment in your lovely cabin.

Bevis

Nice build.  I have been looking at the 20x24 shed roof cabin for my hunting cabin.

mmejo

Doo-drew

Hi there. Love the looks of your place. We kicked around doing a shed roof design but ended up on a barn style. Question... would you be willing to share your green paint code or make/name? The wife and I have been looking for the right color green to use and she loves what you guys picked.  Just looks awesome against the white trim.