Woodburning Stove and Spiral Stairs

Started by Homesick Gypsy, November 11, 2009, 02:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homesick Gypsy

I'd like to put a metal spiral staircase up to the loft - I'm figuring 48 - 52 inches for the footprint.  Here's the question, can I put a woodburning stove at the base of the stairs and run the pipe up parallel to the center support pole of the stairs?  Could I insulate the stovepipe or possibly run a chimney up the same way?

MountainDon

If the chimney pipe would be close enough for anyone to somehow accidentally touch the pipe from the staircase I believe insulated pipe should be used. Black pipe can produce an instant burn at times.

The use of long lengths of insulated pipe would shoot the chimney costs through the roof but would be safer. There would be a side benefit of maintaining the inner temperature of the flue better with less creosote ormation as a result. A trade o is that using black pipe will radiate more heat to the interior.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

I have seen it done on the green network.  I believe the show was renovation nation.  I always laugh because the "green" homes they tend to showcase are usually over 10,000 sq ft and cost in the over $1,000,000 price tag. IIRC, it was a southwestern U.S. house done by an author.  It was an insulated stove pipe through the center of the spiral staircase.  Hopefully that helps you find it.

MountainDon

Ya gotta wonder about those mega dollar green homes.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homesick Gypsy

Thanks guys.  Squirl, I looked but couldn't find it on Renovation Nation.  It might be there but their website is moving like a herd of turtles through molasses and I don't have the patience for it today.   [waiting]

MikeT

If you use a double wall stove pipe, you can get by with 9" of clearance, I believe. 

Jens

Quote from: Squirl on November 11, 2009, 03:26:24 PM
I have seen it done on the green network.  I believe the show was renovation nation.  I always laugh because the "green" homes they tend to showcase are usually over 10,000 sq ft and cost in the over $1,000,000 price tag. IIRC, it was a southwestern U.S. house done by an author.  It was an insulated stove pipe through the center of the spiral staircase.  Hopefully that helps you find it.

those shows make me sick, but they do have some good ideas and suggestions.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

OkieJohn2

Have you noticed how often the so called "green" shows just throw away lots of stuff, just to replace it with "green" products.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools