What is it called?...

Started by MikeT, December 19, 2009, 08:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I would like to make the walls in my stairs more interesting by cutting out insets in the drywall for displaying things-something that would fit between the stud bays and would be finished in drywall.  But I do not know what the real term is.....any ideas?

I can't get the right terms to search Google for images...

devildog

I think they'd be called "built in wall shelves" I googled it and thats what came up.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

devildog

I have been wanting to do the same thing but for a safe, to keep cash and a pistol in and hang a picture over it.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: MikeT on December 19, 2009, 08:53:37 AM
I would like to make the walls in my stairs more interesting by cutting out insets in the drywall for displaying things-something that would fit between the stud bays and would be finished in drywall.  But I do not know what the real term is.....any ideas?

I can't get the right terms to search Google for images...

We had a thread once started addressing "built Ins".  Here is the thread.  Some good ideas

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3919.msg46058#msg46058

devildog  without hyjacking this how much snow did you end up with?  I saw something on the news about Hillsville but didn't catch the whole story.

MikeT

I did Google "built in book shelves" and in the images tab, this is the only image that matches what I envision:

http://www.alvarorodriguez.co.uk/images/large/recessed-shelves-1-1.jpg

Are these really called shelves?  Is there another name for these things?

devildog

Mike T ,I dont know of another name.

Redover, I dont know, I still live in florida, but I watch the weather up there and see there suppose to get quite abit.

Darrell

curlewdave

???  There's got to be another name for those niches, and it'll bug me all day...

MikeT

I'm a couple of days ahead of you...

trish2

Do any of these words work?  I did a MS Word thesaurus search on 'niche'.

Niche, bay, alcove, compartment, nook, hidey-hole, cubby-hole, cubicle

MikeT

Niche..I would have not come up with that!  Thanks.

With one search, here is a helpful link:
http://www.trim-tex.com/installation/buildaniche.htm

glenn kangiser

Quote from: curlewdave on December 19, 2009, 09:46:28 AM
???  There's got to be another name for those niches, and it'll bug me all day...

hmm I don't know if Dave would've either.   :)

I have a wall with a hidden walkway behind it in the great room.  I want to put in one of those pictures with the two holes  for your eyes  :o  so you can look to the left and right and  be like those old mystery movies.    I don't know the name for it either.  Hmm hmm Maybe they were just cartoons... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

wall niche

good design detail on an interior wall.    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

diyfrank

I was going to do something like this with 4" walls.  d*   6" is the way to go.
Thanks for posting that thread link Redoverfarm.  :)
Home is where you make it

Don_P

We got about 12". I just put the tractor over the side  d*. Well that's one way to get outta plowing for awhile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffin_corner_(architectural_myths)

Redoverfarm

Don that almost happened to me.  My driveway is elevated so in an attempt to get as wide a path as possible . Learn to push as must away as possible to be ready for the next one to have a place to go with the snow. If you don't before long there is no road.  Anyway I was able to climb back out.  It is better to be over the side than on it's side. ;D

BTW we are at 24" now and still no letting up.

devildog

Thats alot of snow!!!! The locals told me that area didnt get but a few inches here and there and it usually melts off quickly. Maybe I need to rethink this whole hillsville thing.. Naaaaaaaaaaa , thats one of the reasons id like to move back up north.
Darrell

Okie_Bob

I don't know what they are called but, you can see three that I put in my stairway by going to
www.bobanddanalakehouse.blogspot.com then scroll down to the 9th pic and it has a date of 8/3/08. There are little lights
at the top of each ? whatever they are called and we alternate different things we want to show off in them. Look pretty neat
at night with the lights on.
Very simple to build like I did or you can actually purchase ready made...whatever you call them .... to mount between studs.
Okie Bob