12'x20' Okanogan Cabin... already likely to go 14'x24' or bigger

Started by nailit69, January 25, 2015, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nailit69

So, I ordered my floor framing package and believe it or not, with tax and delivery, it was $75 cheaper than the material estimate I got last year.  I also got my glulam ridge beam sized and priced (5-1/8" x 18") which I was certain was going to cost somewhere around $900-$1,000... my wallet is happy to report it's only $435 and they can set it in place for me. 

nailit69

Made it out to "The Ranch" this weekend... had a great time, got everything done I wanted to, drank a bunch of beer (the neighbor drank more... a 36 pack of my beer in 2 days by himself).  Met a few more full timers up on the hill... apperantly there's a regular small scale market available on our hill... fresh eggs, fresh chicken, fresh beef, fresh pork, and all you can eat veggies for cheap.

We roughed it for the first day and then had the floor built and had a warmer than outside place to stay after the first night.  We/I... OK... it was all me.... I Fooked off  for the  beginning of the second day and went "expolring" instead of working.  Found all sorts of interesting shit... old mines, waterfalls, game trails, future cabin sites,... it was an epic weekend.

My Dad wasn't gonna go with us but decided last minute he was going... him and my brother left early, got really wet, had a shitty night sleep, and they deserved every miserable minute... that's what happens when you leave early!  Second night was much better... shelter, cooking, warmth, foam pads, you get where i'm going with that... more to come when rested and soberer

nailit69

Been thinking and doing a little "soul searching" over the last few weeks.  The more time I spend out at "The Ranch" and the more I talk to folks out there on the hill, I think about everything going on here in the "big city" and the stress that it causes me, I think about the money that i'm wasting here paying for fuel to go to a job I wouldn't really need over there (i'll work over there too just not as much), my rent that would cover the entire payment and taxes for a year in about 4 months and everything else too... i've been giving serious thought to dumping every penny into this place and just moving out there full time.  I've got the money and most of the major parts and pieces that I need, I just need to get it framed up and dried in and as soon as it's insulated I could potentially move in. 

Realistically it probably wouldn't be until next spring but at that point it'll just be little things to work on to finish the place off and start on homeowner projects like splitting and stacking wood and fences and things.  I don't know... just thoughts for the moment but I may act out and head for the hills.  I just spent 3 days out there and it only got better each day, I spent less than $60 for a ton of Beer and Brats and gas for the genny and $80 in fuel for the trip...there and back on less than $150, building materials not included of course. 

If I can buy cheap farm fresh groceries on the hill, barter, fish, hunt and forage, not waste money driving to a fulltime job, make the land payment in full ea. yr all at once, work a few jobs here and there to make money (i'm a carpenter so I can make money pretty much anywhere I go), and in general just live on the cheap I know I could easily live on $4-500 a month... I could work part time and save during spring/summer/fall and have all I need for the year and in 7 more years the land is paid off.

I'll be 47 this year and as far as my prime years go, i've probably only got a few really good ones left.  Things are getting rusty, my joints hurt, my hand strength is starting to fade (I used to be pretty ripped and strong as an Ox w/forearms like Popeye), my hearing is starting to go, my skin is wrinkling, things are sagging, I went on a 2 mile hike the other day and was really winded but a lot of it it was very steep and I did run most of the way back down so i'm not a couch potato but my diet is sometimes less than ideal and I probably drink too much beer.  I've been "self employed" most of my life so I have no real retirement plan other than death and I need to start planning for the next 30 years and get things set up there. 

I've got no woman to convince so there's a lot of easy reasons to get out of here now... except my parents... my Dad is ready to go full time yesterday but my Mother won't have anything to do with off grid living for more than a few weeks at a time.  They've got thier minor medical issues and needs and would have to make frequent trips to a military hospital mostly for my moms health and vision issues so full time isn't really an option for them which means me spending too much time at thier place as they age.

The seed has been planted and i'm probably already gone judging by my past.

Don_P

Sounds familiar, insulation and windows would probably be good... I didn't last much past shingles on the roof.

nailit69

Quote from: Don_P on April 19, 2016, 08:36:14 PM
Sounds familiar, insulation and windows would probably be good... I didn't last much past shingles on the roof.

LOL... yes, insulation and windows would be good.  It's gonna be hard to leave this Fall. 

nailit69

This small lake wasn't there last year...
Found this waterfall on the corner of the property, the "Seasonal Creek" is flowing good this year... this wasn't there last year either.

The first beam is barely in place and they're already into the beer

Got a few joists cut and installing hardware

Gonna be rough looking out at that view everyday... Mt. Bonaparte off in the distance

Wildflowers are starting to pop

That's about all we got done the first day

We're bringing cots and the real camping gear next time.

More to come in about 6 weeks

OlJarhead

I left Portland back in 2002 and never looked back!  The rat race behind me and only life ahead :)

At 47 I started doing loads of cardio and though I thought it was all downhill as I got older, I was wrong and lost 55lbs in 6 months (gained some back since but plan to change that) and was in the best shape of the last two decades of my life easily!  Today I know I'm getting older (at 50) but know that I have many years to enjoy if I stay in shape.

As for living up there, it's cheap, easy and can be done if determined.  As a carpenter I can't see how you wouldn't be able to earn a living.  I know a few that work when they want and I know that if someone wants to work they can.

It's a risk, but I am always amazed at those who take risks and come out ahead in the end one way or another even if it isn't as they imagined when they started.

Yonderosa

I know a few guys doing exactly what you are talking about. They live frugally but seem happy enough. The work they do get is not at the rate they got before (That seems true everywhere these days in construction). I've toyed with the notion myself and the advice I got was "Bring a woman and a job because you won't find either in Okanogan."

http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

ChugiakTinkerer

Awesome photos, I can see the why the place has worked its magic on you.  I agree, it sounds like you've already made your decision and the only question to be answered is when.  I'm a compulsive number cruncher, so I'd be making a spreadsheet to show all my current costs and compare that to what I would need living at a less hectic pace.  Since you won't be able to actually move to the ranch until it's much further along, you've got some time to look at ways to simplify your life and reduce your cost of living.
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

nailit69

@Chugiak... It is awesome up there... the seed was planted years ago but this project and other recent developments have swayed my decesion towards full time living  out there.  I've already got my spreadsheets for the build setup and i'm always crunching and trying to find ways to save a buck or two but I don't have a "household expense budget" setup yet. 

I live in a small house now (800 sq. ft.) and have virtually no bills other than the basics like rent, power, internet, cellphone, etc..  I don't have cable tv, I don't have car payments or credit card debt, I save and re-use/recycle things...been living this lifestyle for almost 10 years.  I lived comfortably for an entire month over the winter on about $400 (after rent of course) with my reserve food supplies and by staying home rather than driving around and wasting money.

@Yonderosa... I don't need a woman, I can find what I need on the interwebs ;)... as for a job, I have never had much of a problem finding work for over 25 years in this business, I see "Journeyman Carpenter Wanted" ads around the Chelan area almost weekly and if I don't need to make huge rent and utility payments I only need to go to the "Big City" for about 8-10 weeks to make enough to pay the mortgage for the entire year so I don't need much of a job, everything else is mine. 

I'm going for a goal of being able to live on about $15-18k a year...1/4 to 1/3 of what I have to make now to live in the city.  That pays the mortgage and taxes for the year and puts about $1,000 a month in my pocket for whatever I decide to spend it on, I can make it out there on $250 a week.  Obviously I can choose to make more and probably will but "not having to" is the end goal.

@Ol'J... I've always been a builder and been in pretty damn good shape, back in the day I could hook my heels in the trusses and lean out unsupported with a 14 lb. skilsaw to cut tails, carry big beams on my shoulder by myself, etc... over the last few years i've been doing a lot of interior finish work and i'm getting soft. I'm starting to workout a little on the home gym  but time marches on.

old_guy

"I can make it out there on $250 a week."

You might want to make that $400 a week, and put the remainder away for a rainy day - or for when your aching bones won't let you hang out on those trusses any longer.

Great plan, though.  Go for it.

nailit69

Reality is, I'll probably have to bust my ass from Easter until Thanksgiving like I usually do.

Bevis

nailit69

Quote from: Bevis on May 01, 2016, 09:55:53 PM
...but are the hippies gone?  ::)

Unfortunately... No.  I've been thinking about that whole thing too... i'm going to make Lemonade out of those lemons. 

After spending a few more days up there, he's starting to grow on me (just a little).  He's a nice enough guy, keeps an eye on things, anyone that comes to my place is usually met by him within minutes and he's usually packin' so i'm of the mind that a couple of 18 packs of beer is a cheap price to pay for onsite "security". 

He did help out quite a bit this time and brought rakes and a wheelbarrow, tightened some anchor bolts, cleaned up, dispatched a couple of mice, took all the beer cans and wood scraps, so i'm learning to live with him, he's 60, he's just an old dude tryin to do what everyone else on the mountain is... live.

I did work out a deal with him though... if I help him build a small simple cabin, he'll take down the tarps and get rid of the motorhomes as soon as it's liveable.  I walked his property and found a nice fairly flat site with a great territorial view but there's no road to his cabin site so I may have to help him develop one, he's down in a hole right now that's really wet this year so it'll be better for him to get up on the hillside a bit more and improve my view at the same time. 

JavaMan

Quote from: nailit69 on May 02, 2016, 08:14:19 AM

He did help out quite a bit this time and brought rakes and a wheelbarrow, tightened some anchor bolts, cleaned up, dispatched a couple of mice, took all the beer cans and wood scraps, so i'm learning to live with him, he's 60, he's just an old dude tryin to do what everyone else on the mountain is... live.

Hey!  What who you're callin' old there young fella!  ;) :)

No, it's not me, but from one "old dude" ... I still don't feel all that old.... and your time is comin'  ;D

Like OJH said - sounds like a win to me.

nailit69

LOL... I'm not far behind ;D

Age is definitely a state of mind... I still act like i'm 25 and only the recent arrival of my first grandkid and my first set of nose glasses has started to slow me down.

azgreg

Quote from: nailit69 on May 04, 2016, 09:45:16 PM
LOL... I'm not far behind ;D

Age is definitely a state of mind... I still act like i'm 25 and only the recent arrival of my first grandkid and my first set of nose glasses has started to slow me down.

I love the saying: "I may have to get older, but I don't have to grow up."

JavaMan

Quote from: azgreg on May 05, 2016, 08:18:48 AM
I love the saying: "I may have to get older, but I don't have to grow up."

I agree! I may be 60 and I was starting to feel old (people around me telling me I was old), but in the last few months I'm starting to feel like I'm in my 40's again... and once I start heading to the ranch, I'll probably start feeling even more spry!  It's mainly a state of mind.

nailit69

+1 on that...

Don't listen to those naysayers... I still feel pretty good most days but if I sit around too long I start feeling my age. 

Isn't it funny how a trip to the "ranch" can change your whole outlook on things?...  I spend 5 of the most uncomfortable hours in the truck getting there, bust my ass all weekend, eat less than nutritious food, drink way too much beer, sleep on a sheet of plywood, smell like a billygoats gruff, yet when the end of the weekend comes i'm so bummed that I have to leave, that all I do is think about coming back.  I always feel so refreshed and energized when I come back, I just love being out there.

We're heading back up this weekend to do some dirtwork and pour a few piers for my porch roofs... trying to get Thurs. & Fri. off and make it a 4 day weekend.  My dad is bringing a car trailer loaded with a Kubota tractor, a quad, a dirtbike, a backblade, 2 huge coolers, ramps, ropes, and more shit in general than i've ever brought with me and I don't even have my stuff loaded yet... he's worse than any woman i've ever travelled with. 

I did confirm my time off for the main build... July 1st through July 10th, it happened to work out since the rest of the crew is also taking time off during that week too.  If I can't make it happen in 10 days I need to find a new career. 

nailit69

Made it back out to the ranch... things didn't go anywhere near what was planned.  Rain Thursday night turned the road to our place into a sh!thole and on top of that, we went in a 2wd diesel pulling a 20' car trailer with a 2500lb. tractor and other ORVs onboard.  We jackknifed the truck/trailer at the one turn I was sure that we would and had to unload the tractor to get the trailer back on the road.  Got everything straightened out and had to drive the tractor in the last 1/2 mile.  Then it rained from 11pm Friday til about 9am Saturday.  We stayed dry in the basement  but it kept me up all night worrying about it.

Never did get a callback from the gravel guy from last year... he probably remembered us and didn't want to come back.  On another note... I met a guy that's a full-time miner and just happenens to have scads of gravel he needs to dispose of... he asked how much I needed and I asked how much he had... we agreed on 50 yds., it should be there next trip up on J4.  This guy always cruises around with a metal detector and spent an hour or more with my dad digging up all sorts of "old treasure" and they actually found some really cool shit that seems to indicate there might have been an old homesite there at one time.

We were able to do some grading... no concrete though.  I didn't bring any big tools, just nailbags but no saws... I bought 30 big Manorstone block to help retain some dirt against the foundation and got those in... rode dirtbikes, BBQ'd, and drank beer all weekend, bonfires, etc..  just me and my Dad.  There's a young kid that comes by and helps out now and again and I try and flip him a few bucks for the help... this time I brought him some LED foglights for his quad... 14,400 Lumens of night riding goodness.  He loved them and put them on and tore the mtn. up into the night.

The hippie neighbor shows up about 20 minutes after we did... packing a hunting riflle... 

Him: "Did you bring a rifle?". 
Us: "Yea, a .22 and a 9mm"
Him:  "You're gonna need something bigger... There's been 4 different bear sightings in the last few days"
Him:  "Take this .308... not the best but better than what you've got"
Us:  "Thanks... want a beer?"

A momma and 2 cubs, and 3 other different bears, one was supposedly a "Grizzly" but when quizzed, the witness didn't quite describe one.

Saw numerous Quail and Sage Hen/Chuckers?), 6+ HUGE tom turkeys the size of beachballs, i've never seen em that big before... a nice young buck and a lonely little doe, huge trout mounts and pics at the nearby "lodge"... i'm definitely getting my fishing tag this year.

5 weeks and i'm heading back up there... I can't wait!

OlJarhead

.308 is more than enough for bear. 

So too is 30-06 (almost the same ballistics wise actually) and I would and do use both.

OlJarhead

Though for close in defense against a mad bear I prefer 12 gauge with slugs

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 25, 2016, 07:56:20 AM
Though for close in defense against a mad bear I prefer 12 gauge with slugs

Here too in Alaska the 12 ga with Brenneke or Rottweil rifled slugs is preferred.  Back when I did geology field work the only weapon that my employer would issue was a 12 ga.  I was allowed to carry a .44 magnum revolver but that was the minimum and I had to provide it.  The 12 ga slug delivered the most energy of any of the firearms considered and that is what is needed in stopping a charging bear.

Hope any bear sightings are of the low adrenaline variety.  Have a safe summer!

Edit: Fixed a typo
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

OlJarhead

During Bear Season (and I have a few around my place) I carry my .45colt with 360 grains going 1100fps ;)

and I keep a Puma Legacy Model 92 in .454 Cassull hanging over the door or a 12gauge 870 up there....either one will work ;)