what i build

Started by Leo, April 08, 2007, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

my first cub car was a disaster

I could not stop painting it sanding on it.. removing the wheels...By the time it was race day the axle nails did not fit tightly into their slots and the car stunk

Second effort was much better.... Did not get wheels put on it until race day...

We sanded off the plastic dot marks off the tires with fine sandpaper and  cleaned the wheels... Lubed them with mystery oil

ran the max weight and shaved the car to look exactly like a splitting wedge

Did not win it all... went to the provincials though.. came in 5th :'(

Leo

# 18 rest on the inside edges of three wheels with the nails/axles polished and set in epoxy max weight centered 65% back from front axles to rear then powdered graphite for a lube,   the canoes I build are double paddle,I read an account of a guy who was kayaking went for a walk got back in the kayak set off to discover he had a water moccasin leep over his shoulder  Chesapeake light craft has a wide variety plans are very reasonable kit  twice plus what materials would be.James town distributors is great for all supplies except the occume or marine plywood. harbor sales Baltimore ,or Homestead hardwoods will bot indicate competitive pricing most call for 4mm around 50 a sheet less would be good.Its a fun thing to build and stitch and glue construction no problem metal cutting blade in a sabre saw gives splinter free clean cuts.they also have a two person double paddle canoe plan for 19.95?that way you can see where you put youre feet ;)

benevolance

Thanks for the info

MMmmmmm water mocassin...Always a treat to play with those :o

I asked about a Kayak because that is what my wife likes...She does not like to Canoe

I love the Canoe...But it is harder for the person in front to paddle than it is for the person in the back....So I have to paddle in the front...Only my wife does not like to paddle one side...So she just switches paddling sides randomly and the canoe goes all over the place....

I have tried to tell her the principles of propulsion and She can repeat back to me what happens when you both paddle on the same side....But her mind just stops working or something and she does not paddle where she is supposed to paddle....Then I have to say something which gets me in trouble...*LOL*

So a kayak it is....

We will just always have to check for Mocassins ;)

BTW.....Marine plywood is getting hard to buy in a lot of places.....Very hard!

benevolance

Hey checked out the jamestown site....

Does the gal in the Photos come with the plans.....

hehe... in case I ever get divorced? ;)

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do;jsessionid=576D88A5040186FD2776B9F16CB3028B

Leo

When I worked building boats for company's Jamestown is hard to beat fasteners bronze,stainless,galvanized bolts,lags and annular threaded nails in a wide range of sizes in stainless and bronze.Ive always wanted to lay a board floor with silicone bronze nails.set flush with surface?    fiberglass,Kevlar,carbon fiber tapes and cloths ups service has been good so far.defender industries has allot of neat stuff bronze oil lamps,etc never ordered but neat catalog.

benevolance

If it was up to me we would be camping sailing this year in a Jimmy Skiff...I will have to try to convince my wife we need a sailing rowboat...I love sailboats

Small lightweight...Not too complex to build... When it is windy it is a blast to put down the sail and not have to row......Take an electric motor with you and you have 3 ways to power the craft... So no matter what you are all set

The kayaks are gorgeous....Soo expensive though...Oh my....What is a poor Mechanic to do?

glenn-k

Leo

QuoteIf it was up to me we would be camping sailing this year in a Jimmy Skiff...I will have to try to convince my wife we need a sailing rowboat...I love sailboats

Small lightweight...Not too complex to build... When it is windy it is a blast to put down the sail and not have to row......Take an electric motor with you and you have 3 ways to power the craft... So no matter what you are all set

The kayaks are gorgeous....Soo expensive though...Oh my....What is a poor Mechanic to do?
I understand what is for some customer and my budget check out Phil Bolger designs=most boat for the money,he incorporates everything into a structural component his designs work well call for low cost in comparison and designed.many sell his plans two arehttp://www.instantboats.com/and common sense designs ,Bolger and friends or search many sights googleing his name or duckworks magazine Jim milchak? those two offer a simple, cost effective,comfortable designs using polyester stapled monel.front porch paint commercial fisherman use it cheap and holds up well .

Leo

Glenn Im gonna borrow My sons digital and take my time returning it like he does My stuff ps not enough quarters ;)

Leo

the Bolger schooner camp cruiser fast ,real fast,relatively cheap for 23'http://www.instantboats.com/

Leo

Its fair to say they are to boat building what this sight is to cabins IMHO

glenn-k

QuoteGlenn Im gonna borrow My sons digital and take my time returning it like he does My stuff ps not enough quarters ;)

That sounds like a plan, Leo. :)

benevolance

just spent three hours at the boatbuilding site...

WOW

Gorgeous....Definately want 12 foot Sailing skiff/Dinghy that weighs 100 pounds empty..So it is easy to transport....Holds more than one person...Has a decent sized sail..Predictable rowing or sailing...

The advancement in Resins is remarkable...I remember hauling the HEAVY 12 foot Wooden Flat bottom boat my grandpa built to the fishing hole as a kid...It easily weighed 150 lbs +

Damn it all to hell... I do not need another project to put on my "WISH LIST"

way too many things on the plate as it is....

There is a great Park close to the new house though...Slow wide deep river meanders through  The low state....Perfect for 12-15 foot row sailboat...Blacks river in Kingstree....

Went there a few weeks ago on a clear sunday and she started bugging me to build her a kayak...Wants to spend week-end on the water she says....

I dislike kayaks...So I guess she will have to settle for a small dingy / skiff with a sail....

I just wonder how fast a 12 foot Multi purpose Row Sailboat would be in good conditions and winds...

Though I am from the Ocean coast of Nova Scotia I am not a sea faring man... Not much time in a sail boat....Canoe and row boats mostly for me.

I do remember that flat bottomed boats are super stable but slower and  the boat drags the bottom through the water... So I guess a flat bottom design would be the safest...and the slowest

which might be best for someone learning what the heck they are doing... Flat panels are a lot easier to build too....

I must have added a dozen bookmarks to show the wife...

Have to get approval from the boss to spend time and money on a boat ;)

Leo

http://www.gaboats.com/orhttp://www.compumarine.com/index1.htm for 8lbs and up geodesic.the ssecond link is western red cedar a 15 motor fishing boat at under 60lbs.lightweight lap steak my favorite in the 11.6 canoe at 27bs could have been 23 except additional glass on bottom for dragging on gravels.   The strip plank western red cedar is a good bet light and strong and if western read cedar or northern Atlantic white cedar a stiff hull capable of heavy use has much to recommend it.