Tikka T3 Lite

Started by NM_Shooter, January 03, 2014, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I convinced myself that I needed a new rifle, so I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 win mag.  The recoil from this ultra light rifle is harsh, but it shoots really well.  I had to re-torque the action screws, but my best group with this (180grn Nosler, 70g IMR4350, Federal GM210M primers, R/P Brass neck sized only) is 0.668" ctc at 200 yards.  And that was fairly quick shooting..... no cool down between shots.

Even with powder it did "not" like (RL22), I shot a 3.1" group at 300 yards.  This is my new elk gun.  If I can afford these in the future, I'll buy more. 

The stock and the magazine seem cheap, but the action is smooth and the trigger is very good.  It is hard to complain about aesthetics from a rifle that performs like that. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Pine Cone

I have one in 30-06.  Works pretty darn well, and it came in a lefty version which is a big plus for me.  Tired of shooting wrong-handed guns. 

Savage is about the only other manufacturer that has lots of lefty bolt guns available.  Shot my son's lefty Savage a few weeks ago and it was very accurate out at about 200 yards, but I think the Tikkas are even better, and your group sounds pretty darn awesome.  That group must have been close to being one ragged hole! [cool]

NM_Shooter

My daughter has a Savage 110 in 30-06, and it is also very accurate.  My best group with that at 200 is 1.044".  Bought that Savage at Walmart for $379.

rick91351

I still shoot a 110 L in a 270 with a nice checkered walnut stock.  I bought used in like 1968 or 69.  Moons Sporting Goods Store, Boise, Idaho.  I mounted a brand new out of the box Weaver K4 scope on it.  WOW did I and all my high school hunting buddies think I had something.  I must have - it is still in the gun safe....     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

I was doing a little looking this morning and appears that the heavy barrel models of that gun are not being imported at this time.  I was thinking of a predator gun.  In a left hand model they are certainly well represented.  I might have to take a look..... 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

NM_Shooter

The accutrigger and accustock combination that they have put together is really nice.  I think it pushes the price up into the $500 to $600 range, but they shoot really well.  I'd like one in .223

I'd really like one with a threaded barrel and a can, but that may be a ways down the road. 

Native_NM

I like the fluted barrel version but am concerned about recoil.  The fluted version is 5.8 pounds.  I almost bought one at Christmas.  I'm going back and forth between the Tikka and the Weatherby Vanguard.  It's a bit heavier.   My favorite round is the 7mm mag, and they had one on the shelf.  Maybe next month.

Have you ever used Vortex optics?
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

NM_Shooter

The recoil is significant, but you can always easily add weight to the rifle (and a limbsaver).  The Tikka also has a very, very good trigger, and the action is also very smooth.  They use the Sako extractors, and are also exceptionally accurate out of the box. 

Heck, if you ever want to shoot it, let me know and we can go to Del Norte range.  I also have a Savage 110 that you can try in 30-06 that shoots great.

Down side is that the nylon stock does not have pillars bedded in them, and the recoil lug has been known to wear out after awhile. 

I have not used Vortex riflescopes, but I have used their binoculars.  They were very good. 

I'd like to have a front focal plane riflescope with mil-dot reticle and mil dot turrets.  Unfortunately those cost more than the rifle, and I don't think I can justify it.  Perhaps for a tactical shooter it would be handy, but as a game rifle I think that shots much past 300 yards can be unethical and I am not sure I'd benefit from the ranging system. 

The Vortex Viper in 4-16 would be a nice scope.

My last big game kill was with a rifle that was zero'd at 250 yards.  I shot my elk at 80.  Go figure.

Native_NM

Thank you. 

I just went shooting this weekend at our place near Manzano. Mostly shotguns and clay.  Before they closed, the range was only a couple miles down the road and we went often.  I haven't been to the new location at midtown.

I did like the trigger on the Tikka. I've read nothing but good press.  It's always a trade off.  I sure miss my Mini-30. 

Funny how despite all the preparation it works out like that.  My brother-in-law had all but given up a couple years ago and a monster elk walked right into camp.  They hauled about a ton of gear including quads and all the usual toys and he comes out of the camper and sees him standing there.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

Huge29

That is pretty impressive performance, which Nosler, accubond, ballistic tip, Etip or the Partition?  I was looking at the same ones last year at this time as I was just sick of how poorly my 700 30-06 performed.  It was between the Savage and the Tikka.  I wound up going with the Savage 16 Bear Hunter in 300 WSM, I just like the trigger better and the switchable muzzle brake won me over for long days at the range figuring out the right loads.  I also really liked the medium weight barrel that is fluted and low matte stainless.  I like the short mag for the short action, I couldn't be happier. 
Mine also likes Nosler, specifically the accubond in 150; I just finished some new 180 loads to try out in the morning.  I have it down to .41" at 100 yards, but I have tried so many different factors that I need to do a better job of only changing one variable at a time, like COAL.  I also found that I wasn't getting the barrel very clean until I started using the copper remover type solvents, she is very clean now.  I went with the Monarch 5-20x44 and just love it so much that I bought a second one when they went on sale last month for $360 at Cabela's. 
I have a Vortex Diamondback on my R15 and it is nice clear glass, but the price up from that one is just way too much.  Their warranty is unbeatable. 
Thanks for the report!

NM_Shooter

This is the 180 grain partition PPT. 

Take a look at Audette or ladder testing.  It is an interesting way to find the best powder charge. It can also be used for overall length tests, but in my case I am limited by the magazine length. 

I also invested in a Stony Point rest, which is similar to a lead sled. It works great, but one complaint I have is that the locking bolt for the two sections does not hold up to belted magnum recoil.  I am going to have to replace mine with a machined bolt. 

Huge29

I will look into it, thanks!  You mentioned one of the reasons that I forgot to mention as to why I went with teh short mag, no belted cases. 
I loaded up the New Barnes LRX and ended up with 0.61" at 200 yards using the Reloader 19 powder, my best ever, so I am pretty happy with that one.  I have only been reloading for about 14 months, so I am still trying to figure it all out.