Looking for ballpark materials cost and other info about 20x34 2 story Cottage

Started by PunchAndJudy, October 05, 2011, 04:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunchAndJudy

I've searched the forum, and haven't yet been able to find the info I seek.

I am looking for a ballpark figure for getting everything on the materials list for the 20'x34' 2 story Universal Cottage.  That is just for the stuff on the materials list, nothing extra or fancy.  Looking to build a basic cottage.

Also, I am wondering what skill level is necessary to build it.  I have built a couple of outbuildings before, traditional framing, not pole frame.  And they are very basic sheds, nothing pretty, but my math was right.  However, those I built on cinder blocks (on top of concrete pads) with wood subfloor.  The cottage I hope to build on concrete slab.   

Trying to figure out the cost for materials for a shell with complete roof.  Basic materials, nothing fancy.  I know location matters, so I am in East Texas. 

So, if there are any east Texans here who have built this size cottage and remember costs, please chime in.  I need to get an idea what I'm in for before spending any money on plans or materials list.  Thanks. 

ScottA

Ballparks are usualy pretty big places. Depends alot on finnishes since this is the most expensive part. I'd say ballpark $35-40k based on my experiences. YMMV

PunchAndJudy

Hi ScottA.  Thanks for your reply.  :)

I'm just really trying to figure the price of a roofed shell.  And at that very basic, nothing fancy.  And no plumbing, no wiring, etc.  Just a roofed shell.  Depends on the prices of the things on the materials list, I'm guessing.  I will be doing the work myself, with unpaid helpers (family), so there will be no labor charges.  And I'm counting the cost of the slab separate from the cost of the shell.

Thanks.

Alan Gage

Just the shell? No finished roofing or siding? Windows? Doors?

I worried a lot about how to frame my house when I started and how much it would cost. Now that I'm closing in on the finish line I realize that the framing was the cheapest and easiest part of the build. 2x4s and plywood/OSB sheathing are cheap. It's also pretty easy to estimate costs. Doesn't take much to figure out how many studs, floor/ceiling joists, rafters, and sheets of sheathing you're going to need.

EDIT: Oops, I see you're not asking about traditional framing. It sounds like you already have the materials list. Can't you just take it to the lumber yard and get an estimate?

Alan

PunchAndJudy

Hi Alan.  Thanks for your reply.  :)

I am looking for a ballpark estimate for the materials needed for a basic shell with a finished roof.  Yes, the framing and sheething is the cheapest part.  I am trying to get a shell up before winter.   Finishing can be done over an extended period.

I don't have the materials list, and am trying to avoid buying it UNTIL I know roughly how much a basic shell with a finished roof for this size building will cost.  Need to know what I'm in for moneywise first, and am not interested in building any of the other buildings, so...

John Raabe

You can get a general idea of costs using this old article I did - http://www.countryplans.com/costs.html

It's based on living floor area, how much you expect to do yourself and the local cost per SF for finished new construction.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PunchAndJudy

Thank you for your reply.  :)

I saw that page earlier.  It's not really helping me.  I'm hoping that someone who has built the building I'm interested in and lives in an area where building supplies run about the same prices as east Texas will chime in soon.

UK4X4

Not texas and not the same plans

I priced a 1 3/4 story 32 x 36 ft with two suppliers in Colorado
framing - wrap - batt and board exterior- metal roof - and came out to be 42-44 K usd

If you have the plans already just take them to the local lumber yard to price them
they won't need a parts list just the exterior type

PunchAndJudy

Thanks for your reply.  :)

As I say, I don't have the plans or the materials list.  I am trying to avoid spending money on either one until I know whether or not a roofed shell is within my budget.  Not interested in any of the other buildings, so it's this one or a 30x40 metal post frame, which in these parts is ~13,900.  Price includes professional installation, double bubble insulation, reinforced concrete slab, 2 doors and electric stub.  For another thousand, I can get a 8'x40' porch and a cupola, and another 400 will get me wainscoating.  With this exact post frame right down the road, I know the indoor temps in summer and winter, and they are better than what I am living with right now.  And price is pretty much the same with all the companies in this area that sell/build these type of buildings.

I truly do prefer to build the cottage, though.  Resale value will be much greater, and I would have more control over what the final result would look like.  There is also the smaller footprint, much better for me.

I would imagine that materials in Colorado are probably a lot more expensive than here.  Not sure though.

Thanks.

Alan Gage

You've got to have a pretty good idea what you're going to need for materials. Start pricing stuff and you should come up with a rough idea pretty quick. More accurate than anyone else will be able to give you.

Find out how much plywood, OSB, roofing, etc. costs per square foot and figure out how many square feet of roof and walls you have.  Ask your supplier for a rough idea on window/door cost and then add up how many you have. That's a start.

Alan

PunchAndJudy

Hi Alan.

No, I don't.  Not sure how much is 2x6, 2x4, 2x8, 2x10, etc.  If I did, I promise, I wouldn't be bothering people here.

Surely someone from Smallsville, Texas has built a meat and potatoes version of the 2 story 20x34. :(

Well, if I have to go with the post frame, that's at least a few more scars my pretty pink skin will be spared...

dug

When I was in the dreaming stage, before starting building, I spent a lot of time sketching things out on paper including wall and floor framing, foundation, roof, etc., etc. I would then count studs, brackets, beams, etc. and then call the lumber yard and ask for prices on specific lengths and dimensions of lumber and other items, then calculate my apx. cost.

It really didn't take a whole lot of time and actually helped me vent some nervous energy during that time because I was itching to start swinging a hammer! I got pretty close to the right figure, though I neglected to add enough extra for fasteners- they add up! 

UK4X4

You have two routes edit 3

1-do a search - find a similar build on the site and PM the owner / builder

2-do the rough quantities your self and vist lowes or home depot online

3-or spend the money and get the plans/build list- the world is not simple and no one will be able to give you the exact cost-

Its not that hard- round up for wastage and spare-oops I had'nt thought of that

example 20 ft long 8ft high- no windows

Based on 16 centers

20 x 12= 240 inches long / 16" centers
= 15 upright studs plus two for corners 17off 2x6 X 8ft
bottom and top plates 2 10fts for the bottom - and 4 for the top  6 off 2x6x10ftlong

Get the price from lowes and x by 110% for wastage and another 5% for fixings

sheathing

20 ft long wall / 4 ft wide sheathing = 5 sheets 4ft x 8ft

If your not able to spend the time to investigate and work out yourself / more than likely you won't be able to build it either as theres lots of thinking and calculating to be done even after having the plans sent to you.

Just an extra large window here or there can add 700usd each

Your choice on siding even more - some one here used cedar half logs  and added a surprising 9000usd just for the material

There are so many ways to skin this cat, and every material choice makes a diferent number

PunchAndJudy

UK, I'm not asking for the exact cost.  I also don't have enough info to come up with a rough idea.  In other words, I don't know how much of the framing is done with 2x4s, 2x6s, 2x8s, etc.  This is a big deal when calculating probable costs.  And I'm not asking for that information, either.  I've used the search function, and perhaps my internet skills are poor, but I couldn't find the information I needed.

If someone here has built a meat and potatoes version of what I'm interested in and is in an area where prices are similar, then they surely know what materials for a roofed shell cost them.  Roughly.  That is the only information I'm looking for.

No matter what I decide to go with in the way of a building, I will end up making a mistake here and there that will cost a few bucks.  And I am on a budget.  Therefore, I am trying to save all my pennies til then.  If I had any idea of what the materials cost for building a roofed shell of this particular building in my area, I wouldn't be asking anything.  I'd either be awaiting delivery of both the materials list and the plans, or I'd be placing an order for a post frame.  And I'm not lazy, I'm no stranger to hard work, paperwork, making calculations, etc.  I'm a welder by trade, so I am quite often doing those things.  Everyone I know who has built there own home here did so more than 15 years ago.  So there is no way to tell from what they say what the prices today would be. 

Sorry for bothering you guys.  I was just looking for info.

Peace.

Erin

As has been mentioned, it's really hard to give an estimation for this kind of thing, but at the same time, I know you're just after a really rough idea.  
(Also, if you search owner/builder projects, a LOT of them will have costs in there...)

We're building a 24x40 (with loft) modified post and beam over a full, walkout basement.  We're looking at about $14-17K in order to be roughed in.  That includes NO wiring, plumbing, cabinetry, etc. and absolutely NO hired labor.

Something I've found extremely useful for getting estimates is Menards.com  
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

dug

I wish I was better at keeping receipts but a very rough guestimate for the rough in on my 20 by 30 story and a half in southern NM. set me back about 10 grand, maybe a little less. This included a shell with tar paper and a metal roof. Windows added about another 3 K, and all labor was done by myself.

Bob S.

Pick a number $15 or $20 per sq ft. 680X 15=$10,200 680X20=$13,600 for dried in. Finished house 680X$50=$34,000. No subs you do it all yourself using Crags list, watching specials at the big box stores ect. In short cutting every cost corner you can come up with, without compromising the finished structure.  These are the numbers I have come up with for the answer to this question on a 1 & 1/2 story not a 2 story. I have been watching this site for years and planning just like you are. Bare in mind I have not built anything yet just dreaming like you are.

ScottA

It cost me about $20 a foot to get dried in. No siding just tarpaper roof windows and doors. That was in OK 3 years ago.

sharbin

Not sure if this helps.
I live in Canada. This is for 20x30 1.5 plan. The following were done by me: excavation for footing (rented a backhoe) , building cement block foundation 4 feet high on average, subfloor, 10 ft high walls,  loft on 10x20 section with 2x6 T&G flooring, timber post and ceiling joists,  white pine 1x8 cove style stained siding including Tyvek and straps, 2 wooden doors, 16 vinyl/aluminum windows. Built by contractor: roof framing with 4 dormers, metal roof installation.

So far it cost $55K CAD. This includes all the tools needed including scaffolding.