The Rebuild 26x52 two story

Started by dablack, May 18, 2014, 09:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

Like I said in the above post, I had 10 guys come after work and we got the long walls up.  Then that Sunday I was out of town for a week, so I'm just now posting the pictures.  I'm hoping this weekend to get one of the short walls built. 

Austin

astidham

Looking good Austin!
since your endwall is open right now, do you have the room to slide your trusses onto the 2nd floor? If so it would be easier now then pulling them through a door or over the side wall.
if you do, just remember to seperate your gable end trusses so you can get to them. I carried all mine from the barn, and stacked the gables on the bottom  d* cost me almost a day.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dablack

Both gable end trusses are on the top of the stack right now.  They are 3.5" shorter than the others for the barge rafter supports.

Yes, I should have had all the guys that helped stand up the walls, throw the trusses up on the 2nd floor but I forgot.  I think with some ramps and my tractor, I can push them up there. 

thanks
Austin

dablack

Since the last update, I got the 26' end walls up (me and two buddies lifted them) and then this past weekend, I rented a SkyTrak to set the trusses.  They were just too akward at 26' long to mess with by hand.  Friday night I got two of them set up.  I started on the west end of the building where the ground really slopes away from the slab.  It makes it really tough for the skytrak to reach all the way.  Lots of up and down the stairs and trying to manhandle the truss over the far wall. 

Saturday when I shut it down I had 16 of the 29 trusses installed. 

Sunday was an easy day because I was on the east end of the house and the land is higher and flat.  I finished the main trusses by 1pm but then fought with the gable end trusses for the rest of the day.  I was trying to install the gable end trusses with the barge rafter already installed.  It just didn't work.  I was able to set the subfloor up in the attic with the skytrak.

I need to finish with the attic flooring, sheath the gable trusses, and put on the barge rafters.  For the barge rafters I will use my old hinge method.  I will take pics for the new guys that haven't seen me do it before. 

Austin

astidham

Great progress Austin!
bet your glad thats behind you.
— Henry Ford

dablack

Yes, very glad.  At least this time I had my wife with me.  It was rough at first but towards the end we had the hand signals just about figured out.  With the height of the wall and the low pitch, I couldn't see what I was doing from the drivers seat!  She usually got up to the build site around 9am after taking care of the kids.  Before that, I would have to put it about where I think it should be, run up the stairs, take a look, run down and adjust, run up the stairs, take a look, run down the stairs and adjust.......    My right knee still hurts. 

I only put 3.5 hours on the skytrak.  Last time it took a 3 day weekend.  This time it really only took 17 hours total.  The only reason we were working in the dark Sunday was me trying to put the gable end trusses and barge rafters up as an assembly. 

astidham

working alone is a nightmare, especially when it comes to roof components!
its also the best way to lose weight fast..  :)
— Henry Ford

CjAl

If I never do another roof it will be too soon. At the verybleast i will never design another 12/12 pitch. You notice I said design not build... after do the 12/12 on my shed the hoys ended up at about 9/12 which is stillbtoo steep for one person doing metal. Imo

dablack

Yeah, I haven't been out on my 8/12 trusses yet.  We will see how it feels.  My old 12/12 pitch trusses felt like I was hanging off the side of a cliff!

Not much got done this weekend.  I finished putting down the attic floor and that is about it.  I wasn't really sleeping and felt exhausted.  I needed a little rest. 

Austin

dablack

Since the last update I got the barge rafters installed and got some of the OSB up on the roof. 

For the barage rafters, I built them as assemblies and then used the winch to lift them up the gable end of the house.  Then I reached over and pulled them up onto the roof.  I used rope to tie them off.  The rope gave enough for me to be able to slide them around a little but they couldn't fall. 

Then this past weekend, I built a ramp out of four old crooked 16' 2x4s and three pallets.  I used my winch to pull it up onto the house.  Then I use the winch to slide the OSB up the ramp and onto the roof.  Works great and sure beats having to carry the OSB.  A friend and I were able to get 3/4s of one side done on Sunday.  This week I'm hoping to finish this side and then put blocks on the other side to make sure the 1st row goes on straight. 

Austin

astidham

— Henry Ford

dablack

Wow guys.  Sorry it has been so long.  I got all the OSB on the deck.  A 8/12 pitch roof is NOT a walking roof.  You have to be tied off.  I left one piece of OSB out so I could tie to the peak of the roof and go out on the roof from that opening.  Putting on the paper was an adventure.  I rented a little bucket lift to put in the upstairs windows, facia board and I was hoping to put on the paper.  The bucket lift would only reach so far.  I was able to do the first two rows of paper on the front and one row on the back.  All the rest was rope work.  I did find that if I laid on the paper and it was warm enough outside, that the paper would grab my jeans and I wouldn't slide.  That gave me two hands to work nailing down the paper.  If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a 6/12 pitch. 

Right now we are working on the blocking at the top of the 2nd floor wall and recessing the nails in the subfloor.  Due to a tight budget the subfloor will have to be the floor for a year or so.  I'm going to sand it down and throw some poly on it.  I might need to foam up some gaps. 

Here are some outside shots. 

astidham

Good progress Austin,
I cant tell exactly,  but your felt looks like grace triflex?
Bet your glad to have this part of the project behind you.

Todd
— Henry Ford

dablack

Yes, it is the triflex.  I used it last time too.  I knew it was going to be some time before I got the metal on so I needed something that would hold up.  I love that stuff.  I would cut it to length before going out on the roof.  Then once I was out on the roof, I would pull it through the hole in the roof that I climbed out of.  That stuff is tough.  You can ball it up and then smooth it right back out.  No tears.  You can't do that with felt. 

Austin

dablack

Well, we are finally working inside.  We have most of the interior walls up and are working on DWV.  The sanded subfloor turned out pretty good.  I didn't sand it 100% flat.  It has two coats of poly on there.  We will finish everything and then do a light sanding and put the final coat of poly on. 

astidham

— Henry Ford

dablack

Thanks Todd,

We are almost done with electrical rough in so I'm pretty pleased with the progress.  I'm hoping to post some pictures tomorrow. 

Austin

dablack

Ok, here are some pictures for the crazy weekend.  I had roofers and spray foam guys here close to the same time.  It was crazy. 

For the roof, I had them put 2x4s spaced 4' apart horizontaly and then put down two layers of 3/4" foam.  This will give me R7.5 above the roof deck.  Then they put on the galvalume metal R panel.  Going from the black triflex to the silver roof, cooled off the house instantly.  I'm sure the foam helped too. 

I also got mostly done with the electric and plumbing rough in.  Everything in the exterior walls is 100% done. 

For spray foam, I paid for 3" but on average, I got at least that and sometimes much more.  I think on average I got 4".  Some spots they filled the cavity (5.5"). 

Now I need to finish rough in for electric and plumbing and then start siding. 

Austin

astidham

You have officially past me in progress...
Good progress. Since my foam was sprayed, the house is like a cave.. quiet and somewhat cold.
— Henry Ford

dablack

It has been my constant goal to catch and pass you.  I will admit that it was cheating having the roof done, when you did it yourself, but I'm putting it in the win column anyway.  A buddy of mine is building the cabinets for us so I don't have to worry about that. 

I'm just going to glad when the house is under its own power.  I should finish all the switches and plugs by the end of this weekend.  I need to get water up to the pex manifold but that is just some 3/4" PVC.  Not a ton left and I will have a functioning bathroom with flushing toilet and everything.  Put up some sheetrock and it will be down right fancy!  HA!

thanks
Austin

CjAl

I wanted and designed this house for spray foam but we moved in it too soon because of a tree limb going through the roof of our motor home we were living in.  Now I have to add a furling strip to the edge of each rafter to get it thick enough for r30 and the air gap panels.  How much did they charge per Sq ft?  I never actually found anyone local to do it.  I'd still like to have the floor and roof sprayed but it's hard when you're living in it.

I love the floor BTW,  that's the look I'm going for on my finished floor

dablack

It worked out to about 60 cents per sqft at 3" deep.  When they were done, 3" was the minimum.  There were lots of spots that were 4 and 5" deep. 

Now even when it is bright and sunny out, it stays nice and cool upstairs and even in the attic.  Before the foam and silver roof, it would get hot up there when it was sunny!

dablack

We have been working hard on the house.  I've got about half of the power hooked up and then started installing the kitchen.  We are going to have to wait on doing sheetrock on the ceiling because we aren't going to be able to put in the downstairs AC for some time. 

The upstairs AC is done and once we get the bathrooms are installed, I will go ahead and get the water going. 

So, tonight I will work on finishing putting in the kitchen cabinets and then can work on the upstairs bathroom sheetrock. 

Austin

Bob S.

this project is looking great!!! I applaud you on you tenacity. When are you going to get around to the lightning rods?
Keep up the good work Bob

dablack

So sorry it has been so long since an update.  We are in the house but it is far from complete.  We took the summer off but are finally now getting back to work. 

Here is a shot of the kitchen that is in process.  I'm currently painting cabinets.  The next picture is of the master bath that is also in work.