Our Tiny (10 x 12) Cabin

Started by Gary O, July 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary O

Thought I better let y'all know what I'm doin'.

No pics yet (my computer is in the shop), but dang, this offgrid thing ain't such a bad deal.
Got this little 2K watt genny/inverter for sensitive electronics, and boom; on line.

Here's an interesting tidbit I just found out while changing my address at my bank;
A PO Box is not good enough.
I MUST submit a physical address to my bank of choice in order to maintain or actually have an account, due to The Patriot Act.

I came a bit unglued on this banking dude...let's call him 'Ralph' (since his nametag read 'Ralph')....

Ralph has one of those forced niceness personalities.
Ralph hates his job.
He's an easy read, and I suspect he'll go bankotic (bank slang for postal) in, ohhhh, saaay, five years or less.
I may have shortened that a bit.

Ralph doesn't like being nice.
Ralph's smile is a nervously tense one.
He is the real life Newman.

'Yer kidding me!! My government sez I gotta tell you where I live in order to have an account with you??!!'

'I don't make the rules, Gary (smile)
Oh, and here's what the next debit card will have (showing me a card with some sorta embedded thingy, while smiling), and you won't be able to get one without a physical address.'

'Yer just a part of the problem, you sniveling doodoohead of a poor excuse for customer service, that takes up space here in my free country.'

I did some reading....

The Patriot Act contains a lot of words.

But

if one is intent enough, one will find what one needs to find;

Customer Information Required
The CIP must contain account-opening procedures detailing the identifying information that must be obtained from each customer.45 At a minimum, the bank must obtain the following identifying information from each customer before opening the account:46

Name.
Date of birth for individuals.
Address.47 (footnote 47 only appears if you click on it):
For an individual: a residential or business street address, or if the individual does not have such an address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual, or a description of the customer's physical location.
Identification number.48

Now I'm compelled to bring this info to my new friend, Ralph, and enlighten him in regard to what's really required. So he can enlighten others.

I may have already been in the woods too long....

I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

rick91351

Hummm!!  Interesting!

Wait until you sell everything again and buy a motor home and are planing on full timing it.  Banks need _______.  Post offices need_______.  Both real simple when you live at 516 5th Ave South Nampa, Idaho 83651.  But it is not correct to be moving around like a hobo to the government.  They need to be able to track you just in case you need tracked.... If you make your deposits wrong at the bank they have to alert Homeland Security & Treasury and they can and will and do confiscate your bank account.  Glad we are all living in the Home of the Free and the Land of the Brave,   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Quote from: rick91351 on May 07, 2015, 12:39:54 AM
.... If you make your deposits wrong at the bank they have to alert Homeland Security & Treasury and they can and will and do confiscate your bank account.  Glad we are all living in the Home of the Free and the Land of the Brave,

Yup

At the turn of the century I was In Kowloon and mainland China for a few months, so I had my boss (and trusted friend) make deposits for me.
No more.
No can do.
Oh there's other ways to get that done (the idiots) but man, it's lookin' more and more like 1984 all the time.

It all just sticks in my craw a bit, and I'm not even political.....

wait.....SQUIRREL!!

poppy

One solution to the no address situation might be The UPS Store/Mail Boxes Etc who offer a street address.  I'm not promoting it, just saying.

rick91351

Quote from: Gary O on May 07, 2015, 06:12:17 AM
.......................Snip..........................................
It all just sticks in my craw a bit, and I'm not even political.....

wait.....SQUIRREL!!

Recently here a long respected here in Idaho a Ma and Pa Mexican Restaurant found their bank account froze and confiscated.  Why?  Because if you have a deposit of over ten K the banks are required to fill out paper work.  So in order not to require the bank to do so she would make deposits at 9999.99 or there about.  An agency of the Federal Government stepped in and without a hearing - trial or notice of you are being investigated in effect shut them down.  (How do you run a business with out $$$)  Thank God for her Congressman who appeared like a talking head on TV or one of his minions and single handily got this mess straightened out.  WOW What a super hero.  He even said that the money the agency that got their money had agreed to return it.  So why was it done in the first place?  NO ONE ASKED.... 

I am so thrilled at your new friend Ralph!  We so all need more Ralphs in your lives.  I in fact ran in and told Ellen about Ralph - I'm jealous.  Ellen who was a teller at our Credit Union loves teller stories.  She says tell Gary not to discount the fact that some tellers look at money not as how they are hired to do.  If you are a good teller you look at money as a commodity, you just move it around.  That is what you are paid to do..... But some Ralphs do not like other people because some people wear a bow tie and jeans..... Some people are dirty and smelly and have too much.  Some people wear western hats or baseball caps same wear Nike Shoes.  Some people have too much money so they think - but this person over does not have enough money and should have way more. 

So what does all this have to do with my quote above.  Ellen says right after 9-11 they got cow herded into you are the first line of defense.  If you note anything out of line you are to report them. You are to report people shuffling money.  Come on we have all put seven or eight hundred in then three day latter removed the same and more for a car repair.  This got the we will decide that reply........  Lots of us do not want to be political.  This is way more than political - it is a way of life is at stake.  The very foundations of our freedom are being chipped away at.  Like the lady who ended up penniless because she would not make a 10K deposit.  Ralph does not like me and my cowboy hat he reports me for shuffling money........  We carry zero debit load other than a small mortgage.  Does this upset Ralph?  Banks and others become upset when your FICO Score drops out of the records.  This means a couple things - you are secretly making more money than proper or your dead.  It can not be allowed you have zero debt load.  That is not the American way - after all you deserve a big new car and a new F350 and a new Jeep and a boat not just a boat but a big boat...... This has evolved to way way more than just politics.  Big Brother is here. 

Quote from: poppy on May 07, 2015, 07:44:39 AM
One solution to the no address situation might be The UPS Store/Mail Boxes Etc who offer a street address.  I'm not promoting it, just saying.

As someone that was addressless for a couple years.  Per Homeland Security - use to be - do not know now.  But they can not rent to you without a physical address.  Does any one ever check?  I bet they would if your name happened to appear on a Fed watch list.  BTW Name on the watch list do not have to be you - just your name.                   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Here you can get a street address for any piece of property in the county. That also gets your location into the system as a location for 911 emergency services, fire medical, police. We also have reverse 911 where the county can send messages by phone or text to warn of wildfire or other potential disaster.  Sure that means "they"will have your address but "they"already have you on the tax rolls anyhow. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: MountainDon on May 07, 2015, 01:25:43 PM
Here you can get a street address for any piece of property in the county. That also gets your location into the system as a location for 911 emergency services, fire medical, police. We also have reverse 911 where the county can send messages by phone or text to warn of wildfire or other potential disaster.  Sure that means "they"will have your address but "they"already have you on the tax rolls anyhow.

Remarkable!!  We went two years with out a mailing address nor a 911 notifier.  It was not that we had not tried!  Please believe me.  One evening Ellen was so frustrated she just broke down....  She made such good sense - we pay taxes, we have a phone, we have electricity but we can not even vote.  The phone company is just showing us on Long Gulch Road we do not even live on Long Gulch Road.  We legally can not even have a Post Office Box so we were informed. 

Next morning I had enough.  I made the phone call one more time and this time I blew up.  I got loud and cursed and cussed and I think even used the F word. Something I never do! I think it was something like I cannot even F ing VOTE.    To my surprise I get a, "Oh no problem sure you can have an address."  What - What I sputter...

I was informed - We do not know what your problem is.  Because you can have an address.  We want you to have an address for E911.

Your office has told us repeatedly - no building permit no address.... just a few weeks ago no building permit no address.

I did not even have to make the trip down the mountain to the county seat.  In fact they even did it for me if I remember correctly all done over the phone.  I did have to call E911 -  The lady there pin pointed us.  I told her about the conversation.....  She sort of said 'Yepp there is a lot of stuff happening over there right now...." About two days later we were notified that the post office had assigned us a actual house address and we can loose our Boise PO Box.

OlJarhead

We were able top get a street address at our cabin easily enough (had to have for propane and phone).

As for the rest:  lower / eliminate debt load and have cash reserves not in the bank ;)

That's my thought.  I don't trust them but must use them so keep a savings for the things we need it for etc...but I also believe in self sufficiency and the ability to pay for things if the bank aint open ;)

midrover170

Here (Idaho), I received an address for my lot when I was issued the building permit. It was a really simple process, but I had to pay for the GPS pinning that tied my lot to the 911/emergency dispatch system. I have no cell reception or phone line up there, so I don't know how I'd let 'em know  :D.

Gary O

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 07, 2015, 03:41:47 PM
We were able top get a street address at our cabin easily enough (had to have for propane and phone).
How (without a permit)?

rick91351

Quote from: Gary O on May 07, 2015, 05:32:08 PM
How (without a permit)?

After I blew up big time we got a address with out a building permit.  E911 and Voting seemed to be the straws....  We owned the property.  We are entitled to vote.... Give me an address I want the same right as everyone else!  Talk about a discrimination.  At least I pay my freaking taxes that help pay your wages.   ;D

Gary O

Other than harassing the local bankers, I been touching up the cabin, and spending too much time trying to find where I put my tools (the ones I found in the container).
Happily, whatever I have yet to find is in that 20x8x8 box.
I almost come to tears when I actually do find whatever it is I'm looking for in there.

But, life is getting better.
I built a tool crib.
I intentionally built it 4' high, so I could lift the lid and reach in for a tool.
It'll be chock full once I locate my other tools.
It is, however, a walk in affair, with a little door and everything.
It took 5 shts OSB and some 2x2s.

(yes, I tarp it at night and/or when rain is in the forecast, aaaand I'll prolly throw some paint on it)

My lady wanted a little wall to extend her kitchen, so I took out the french doors (I'll put them in the main house one day) and built a little partition wall. It's better than I thought it'd turn out.
Also added some pantry doors in her tiny kitchen. (cedar fencing and strips)
If the main cook wants something, it gets done.

the wall also made my den area a bit cozier

nailit69

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 07, 2015, 03:41:47 PM

As for the rest:  lower / eliminate debt load and have cash reserves not in the bank ;)

That's my thought.  I don't trust them but must use them so keep a savings for the things we need it for etc...but I also believe in self sufficiency and the ability to pay for things if the bank aint open ;)

I bank at Serta Savings & Loan... all deposits insured by Smith & Wesson. 

Me and banks have never seen eye to eye... I have an acct. but only for emergencies where cash can't be exchanged or for online stuff, other than that I keep $60-$70 in there to cover the "fees" and just in case I need a tank of gas.

I've been depositing my (usually cash) rent payment into the same account for 7 yrs. and recently the bank has stopped accepting cash and forces me to write a check (which isn't available at my current banking institution) or get a money order... I understand... it's about money laundering or terrorism or whatever.  The funny thing is, if I walk across the aisle and buy a $0.79 money order without presenting any identification, walk back across the aisle and with nothing more than a scribble on a reciept is all that's required to then deposit the funds... WTF??

Gary O

It's all about slowin' a perp down.
There really is no stopping terrorism.
I get that.
Settlers discovered that with Geronimo.
And it's easier today than ever.
Heh, I put locks and chains on everything I deem important here at my cabin home.
But I'm not deluded into thinking I'm stopping anyone....just slowin' 'em down....so's I can get a bead on 'em.

But, yeah. The guvment's lame ways of doin' makes ya wonder sometimes.

Made Will Rogers famous;

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
                                                                                       ~Will Rogers

Gary O

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 09, 2015, 07:22:07 PM
Interesting find on the genny, I'll want to know how it turns out.

It's been a month
runs like a top
gave it a real workout yesterday, all day
it shut itself down around 8p
thought it was out of gas
it was low on oil

I know better
Tiny engines run harder than their bigger cousins
viscosity breaks down
oil disappears
then it gets all ugly (rebuilding a tiny engine costs more than a new one)

but

this thing has an auto shut off

nice feature for busy (absent minded) ol' farts

it smelt warm, like hot metal warm
pulled the dip stick
oil barely registered
(shudder)
filled the oil
gassed 'er up
pull
bdrrrrip....off and runnin'
(sigh, whew)

I'll tell ya, I'm no Ryobi fan, but I could become one....

OlJarhead

Good to hear :)

I have a lot of Ryobi tools actually.  Table saw (portable) has held up well over the last 10 years of abuse (6 years of being toted, pulled, pushed and hauled around in the woods), drills last long enough to allow me to save money over the yellow stuff ;) other portable tools ditto -- my miter saw, however, is a Makita ;)

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

HAH!
You a funny guy, ol' man.
Had ta use the fisheye to get it all in (huge place, ya know)

Gary O

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 08, 2015, 08:12:55 AM
Good to hear :)I have a lot of Ryobi tools actually.
Well, I'm rapidly becoming a convert.
My drills are 'the yellow stuff'
My 12" combo miter saw is of the orange stuff (Ridgid still makes good tools, and you pay for 'em)
I had a worm drive Makita circular saw....bought at a used tool place....couldn't kill it...heavy sucker

Gary O

Took awhile to get goin' this morn.
Sun shone,
birds tweeted,
my lady was already breaking new garden ground.

I mostly just stared at things and scratched myself.

Then

The day's plan took shape.

We had several uncoordinated piles of leftovers from various projects.
Not totally messy, but my OCD self gets all tense when seeing piles.
Got into a bit of a whirlwind, scooping up bits of OSB, shards of T1-11, 2x4 ends, and various other stuff.

Thing is, I get overindulged, and forget to take a handful of ibuprofen before I get goin'.
This maneuver causes me to eventually stop in my tracks, wince, lean on a tree, ponder life, then go again...until my back is so seized up I can't move.
Then I weep a little bit, feign like I was just shot, and make my way to the lawn chair, all the while bent over, looking like I've lost something on the ground and am combing the area for whatever fell outta my pocket.

Oh, and once the pain killer took effect, I added some accoutrements to our outdoor shower.
Our shower, up to now, was a tarp wrapped around four trees.
Now, now we have handrails, and a pallet (of sorts) floor. All from the scrap pile.

The day reached 70°F, so we took showers from sun warmed milk jugs of water.
It wasn't a choice, really.
My favorite shoes, the ones that naturally emanate an ungodly  aroma, have bumped it up a notch, since I've been stumbling around the cabin without socks for the last few days, giving my feet the noticeable bouquet of a long deceased mongrel that was able to vomit on itself before passing.

As for the shower, the word 'exhilarating' comes to mind when describing how perky one can get when drenching oneself with water right when the wind kicks up.
First dowse caused me to engage in audible Tourette like involuntary shrieks, comparable to; AAAA---AAAAEEEEAAAAAAA--HEEEYAAAAA!

But this day was glorious, and we'll savor it.

Tomorrow?

Who knows?

But I'm havin' ibuprofen and eggs for breakfast. 

....and my shoes are spending the night outside somewhere. 

Gary O

When yer off grid, there's an immediacy to most everything you do.

And, everything you do is heavy.

Gas is heavy
Propane tanks are heavy
Water is really heavy
Wood is heavy
Chopping mauls are heavy
Wet, hand scrubbed clothes are heavy
I call it 'chores'....not yer everyday gotta empty the garbage chores.

I no longer 'work for the man'
I am 'the man'
I work directly for me...and my bride.
Funny thing, if I don't do these chores, life, as I know it, is immediately affected.
Now when I worked for the man, everything was cordoned off, buffered, intangible, cocooned by power companies, regulatory bodies.
I'd flip a switch, and whatever I expected to happen happened, pretty much right away...didn't even give it much thought.
And, if the power went down, we'd just sit there and wait, maybe eat what was in the freezer, heated up by the camp stove, and play cards by candlelight....kinda romantic...kinda.
And, happily, after not more than a few hours or a day or two, the lights would go back on, we'd restock the freezer, and go on our merry way.

Not so, off grid.

I'm relearning everything I've taken for granted.
I've lost 20 lbs in three weeks.
We bucked and split a half dozen trees.
I'm worried about winter though.
Got much more to do...much much more.

But, no matter what comes this winter, I think we'll be up for it.

I'm also rediscovering what I'm made of.

Underneath this blubber is some sinew,

and hidden underneath that is the muther lode of blubber.

Oh, I'm not complainin'
Havin' a ball, really
Beats hell outta town
If we'd stayed where we were at, I'd have withered away within a couple years.
It just hurts a bit more in places.

That chopping maul has been the best exercise I've had in a long time.
My aches and pains kinda get numb when I get unkinked, and I can still knock out a cord or two in short order.

Bought a pair of Carhartt bib overalls.
I've become grampa.
Gawd I love them!
No more hiking up my wranglers ever two minutes.
So much room I think I could turn around without them moving.
Oh, I'll don the olive drab shorts when things heat up, but, man, these are grand.

The other thing I've become aware of, is my continued impatience with life's events.

Of late, the last five or so years, I've had discussions with myself, coming to the conclusion that I've got to slow down, savor what I'm doin' at present.
It's really hard for me.
I cannot seem to get my mind into the dimension of the present for any length of time.
I'm off and running, got things to build, things to clean up, things that need fixin'.

But

Of late, ever now and then, I've learned to stop, and consider.
If everything was done, and I was sitting with my woman on the deck of our oversized cabin at the edge of the meadow, what then?

Chores? Sure,

and there's that thought of tooling around in my rebuilt '49 willys pickup, seeking out old boards and turning 'em into some sorta unique pie cabinet or end table in my shop...wait, I think that'll last awhile...at least until I give out.

Can't wait

hpinson

Gary, that was wonderful!  No words...

Gary O

my pleasure

(I sense you are in the same boat...or maybe at least on the dock waiting to board)

MountainDon

Gary O

We're gettin' tired

The woods haven't won...yet

Our new goal is to get our first winter's wood in under our own steam.
Thought we'd have to buy it this year.
Nada
We're gonna knock it out.
I figger 10 cord should do it, maybe less if we damp our Earthstove attentively.

Whilst we fall, buck, split, stack, we also drag all the limbs and rotting dead fall into a pile.

Our main goal these last couple days was to blaze a trail to the meadow in order for the Jeep and trailer to haul the slash piles out there.
We were gonna burn 'em where they are, but the last three years have yielded little to zero snow, so it's to the meadow, away from the trees...and cabin.
Previous years we did some burning, a slash pile here, a slash pile there.....didn't know we were just playin' at it, thought we were workin'.....heh (wheeze).

Also, while we're logging the land, we are meeting our other goal of a 'park like setting'.

.......never really fully considered what actually entailed creating a @#%!# 'park like setting'

Here's some pix;

Got wood

Got piles

Got park like setting
(see the three deer?)

Got un park like setting

juuuust kiddin' about three....only one deer (heh heh...sorry)