My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin

Started by MountainDon, December 20, 2006, 02:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Well, we're surrounded by National Forest, with a National Preserve to the north and a National Monument to the east a ways plus a National Lab (Los Alamos) near there as well.  :D

We don't charge admission. In fact we have signs, fences and a gate discouraging admission.  ;D

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Could you be the camp hosts, Don? hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Whitlock

That would be the National camp host Glenn [slap]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

We're always glad to host authorized visitors/guests.

I can send out the pre-vetting questionnaire along with with list of acceptable gifts to any interested party.   [crz] rofl
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I kind of got that idea when I first looked at that shot and it is great but, --- all seriousness aside, Don,  A whole bunch of Piñata's hanging around would really liven the place up.  d*

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

I was thinking along the lines of these...

Pinatas are so commonplace in NM. These shotgun shell Xmas lights are a bit more unique, more fitting to the wilderness flavor of the place. (inspired, no doubt, by the chili light covers that are also so passe around here)

available at...   http://www.morethanchristmas.com/Shotgun-Shell-Garland.shtml

ScottA

Don those lights would up grade you from national park to trailer park.

glenn kangiser

I think they are pretty colorful though... :)

MountainDon

I bought paint tonight; interior primer, interior finish coat, exterior finish coat plus some more clear for the cabinets.  :)    Busy weekend ahead.

bayview

MountainDon:

How did you install your siding?  Did you use nails or screws?  Did you have to predrill the holes before hanging the siding?
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

FrankInWI

first time I went through this whole long wonderful string of posts and replies.  I learned so much here, what a great experience you are sharing. Thanks
god helps those who help them selves

MountainDon

Thanks Frank,  :)

bayviewps... I left here Fri afternoon and just got back.

I used nails. I used 6D ring shank galvanized air driven nails into the studs. I set the air pressure low enough so the nails would not be overdriven. I finished them off by hand. My wall studs are on 24" centers; Hardi states that 24 inch spacing is okay. However I added 1 ½ inch galvanized drywall nails with ring like shanks in between the stud nails.

I did not drill any pilot holes. I had no problems with splitting or edge break off problems. All nails were placed 1 to 1 ¼ inches from the edge of the plank. I used a nominal 1 ½ inch overlap.

bayview

Thanks for your response MountainDon:

I'll do as you suggest. . . I previously had problems breaking the ends-edges of the siding during installation.  I was using 8d ring shank.

Thanks for the tip . . . I'll lower air pressure and finish with a hammer.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

Weekend progress.

I primed and sealed the drywall. Then I caulked the siding that has been installed up to now. I caulked where the planks butt up to the corner and window trim as well as caulking where one plank abutted the next one in the same row.

The next day I painted the interior walls.

Then I moved outside and painted the siding. First I brush painted all the edges and ended up with a psuedo log cabin look (use your imagination a little)...

For those with impaired imagination, try this on for size...

;D ;D ;D

MountainDon

I roller painted the planks. Then Monday I gave the exterior a second coat.

I used one of the low temperature paints. The color is a computer analyzed custom mix that more or less matches the stain used on the gazebo. The paint is a little darker than the gazebo stain. I've named it Pinewood Forest Green.  ::) The cold weather paint can be applied down to 35 degrees F, whereas most paints are limited to 50 degrees or higher. It was a nice weekend; never got below 41  ;D  and went up to 64 Sunday. If the weather cooperates next weekend I'll do the trim in a custom tan to match the vinyl windows. If not, there's always Spring.

Oh, I almost forgot I also installed 10 3x5 ft sheets of hardi-backer board on the floor in preparation for ceramic tile. Next weekend, more of the same and maybe some tile too.

MountainDon

bayviewps, I had some edge breaking in a couple of spots when I did the shed using the 4 x 8 ft hardi-panels, but that was with the nails much closer to the edge. 

bayview

Looking good!

Excellent job on the drywall . . .

PEG688

Looks good Mtn.D.

I use 1 1/2" gun driven roofing nails for all blind nails on Hardi lap siding. The big head seems to hold better and has less chance of over driving and or cracking the siding.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

cordwood

Quote from: MountainDon on October 28, 2008, 08:59:23 PM
We're always glad to host authorized visitors/guests.

I can send out the pre-vetting questionnaire along with with list of acceptable gifts to any interested party.   [crz] rofl
I was raised if folks showed up with empty hands they must be wanting directions back to the highway!! ;D ;D ;D ;)
I cut it three times and it's still too short.

Redoverfarm

Looks like you are geting your moneys worth in relation to the time you are spending vs. the amount of work completed.  Looking good Don.  I hope you will be able to find it among the trees later. ;D

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 04, 2008, 07:56:10 AM
I hope you will be able to find it among the trees later. ;D

At one time we were considering using vertical siding, board and batten, or hardi-panels. That had me wondering about whether or not to paint the vertical boards in assorted tree trunk colors.    ;D

MountainDon

Quote from: Redoverfarm on November 04, 2008, 07:56:10 AM
Looks like you are geting your moneys worth in relation to the time you are spending vs. the amount of work completed. 
Lest anyone forget, there are two other, un photographed sides that are not sided at all yet. So far what I've done was with the hardi planks I got a deal on. I'll have to order more to complete the exterior. But this gives a good idea of what it'll look like.

MountainDon

Probably no work this weekend; I feel like crap... cold a doozy of a cold from the preschoolers.  :(   I need to go get some honey and lemons (juice) for my throat. And some ice cream.   :D   maybe some brandy...

ScottA

I know the feeling Don. I'm comming down with a doosy of a cold myself.  Get well quick.

MountainDon

So I felt good enough that Saturday night I dragged myself up to the mountains with a load of Hardi backer board for the floor. I took along a paint mix for the trim. I got very close to the vinyl color and am happy with it. This is what the exterior will look like when all the siding is finished. That won't be till spring MTL.

Other than that and blowing some holes in osb targets I didn't accomplish much. But I had fun.  :)

Oh, it snowed up there, sometime within the past 4 days or so. My weather station doesn't record snow.  >:(  There wasn't much left on the ground, just patches in shadow areas / north facing slopes. 27 degrees last night.