modified Victoria

Started by Dan, June 20, 2005, 01:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I've been working with the Victoria's Cottage plans I bought, and am modifying them to suit my needs.  I am building with a full basement and full second floor and hence want a full staircase.  I really didn't like where the one's John supplied came out on the second floor.  So here is my current iteration.  I would like some thoughts and input from anyone who cares to comment on whether this would work out well or not.  The plan is to have a enclosed bedroom in the front 16' wide section of the second floor and extra sleeping in the open area in the rest of the loft.  I like the stairs coming out in this location so coming from the bedroom you don't have to walk through as much of the rest of the sleeping area.  In case the picture doesn't show up, here is a link.  http://www.geocities.com/borgdog/modvc.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

John Raabe

I think you have a good layout there Dan.

Getting a full code stair into a 16' wide cottage is somewhat tricky. It looks like you have 12 risers in the stair design shown. That may not be enough.

Look at the "Full Stair Option" page in the VC booklet. It has calculations and dimensions for determining the riser heights. Usually you will need to get 14 risers in there. You can probably make your design work by putting tapered risers at the landing if you want.

If you are in a strict code area review your options with the inspector before you start building. Stairs are one of the most often red tagged parts of a building.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Dan

Thanks for your reply John.  I forgot to mention that I plan on putting a riser in the landing area (no way to do in 3DHA).  I also plan on going with the 7'6" under the decking (91.5" flr to flr.) for 13 risers to the second floor.  

John Raabe

Yep, that should do it! Nice layout. It should work well for you and, if you are interested, we can add it to the plans as an alternative floorplan.  :D

Dan

I would be honored to have my layout as an alternate floorplan, I'm honored that you even mentioned it.

Now on to more questions.  I have been working through the beam layout for the loft floor/main level ceiling, and was wondering if the layout in this pic would work.  It looks like on your alternate cross section on the plans that the bumpout wall (big arrow on pic) would be high enough to hang the beams off of before hitting the ceiling, is that so?  This would also entail the 2x12 rafters extending all the way to this wall without additional support (may have to space closer in that section).  Also, would that work to have the other beam end supported by the center wall and stair divider walls, with similiar walls in the basement to transfer the load to the footing?  I know these aren't quite evenly spaced in this pic, threw them in quick to see if it would work.

Thanks again for all your help and hard work.

Dan

DavidLeBlanc

Is the main entry going to be the kitchen door?

John Raabe

Dan:

In my layout the popout is open to the ceiling above and I set the top of the wall at 8'-1".

I think you can make the wall bearing as you show in your layout, but you may have to adjust some of the ledger heights to make sure the rafters land in the right place. It will probably work out as you lay it out on the deck. You could also use a ledger on the kitchen wall as well - and add another plate if needed to the 12' high stud wall.

Yes, your interior bearing wall running down into the basement is well understood by any builder. Get the posts to line up vertically so the beams don't get too complex.

Dan

QuoteIs the main entry going to be the kitchen door?

Actually the main entry is going to be in the walkout basement underneath the slider.  Will be great in the winter to drop all the boots, coats, etc in the basement mud room before coming up into the cabin proper.  Will also have stairs going down off the deck not shown on the front.

Thanks again for the reply John.  Sounds like we can make it work.  Just need to get it all drawn up, have an engineer give his stamp of approval (125 lb snow loads where I'm at), get permits, and start building.

Dan

ketdryn

Hi Dan.  Great layout.  You mention snow load in your posting.  Just wondering if you considered a porch/airlock entry way into the kitchen. Would give you a place for pantry storage, coats and possibly a laundry area close to the main action in the house.  (You also mention a basement so perhaps most of these needs will be met through your basement.)  Still, in a colder climate, an airlock is a great way to conserve heat and keep the slush out of the kitchen.  Just a thought.   :)

DavidLeBlanc

Is it too late to wonder why you have a full bath on the first floor? Seems like a 1/2 bath, or at least no more than a 3/4 bath, would do?

Dan

QuoteIs it too late to wonder why you have a full bath on the first floor? Seems like a 1/2 bath, or at least no more than a 3/4 bath, would do?

Never to late to wonder, nothing built yet even.  It is the only bath in the place, upstairs all for sleeping.

Oh, and yes Ketdryn, the main entrance will actually be in the basement.