Cutting & Glueing Corian

Started by John_C, September 29, 2008, 06:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_C

Has anyone had any experience cutting and glueing Corian?

One of my neighbors was given some large counter tops.  He wants me to help him install them in his kitchen remodel. He says they can be cut with special carbide tools and there is a special epoxy glue. The glue is color matched to the top color and is only available from the manufacturer and then only to licensed distributors.

I have a 1/2" router.  I would think a carbide bit would cut the stuff just fine if it didn't melt it instead.  The glue I'm not too sure about. I've had a lot of experience with WEST system epoxies from my boat building days, but the color wouldn't match.  My thoughts are we could jig it up and cut the joints tightly enough that they would hardly show.  Perhaps a biscuit joiner would also be appropriate to tie the pieces together.  Maybe I could make some corian biscuits??????

Any & all ideas are appreciated.   PEG   are you out there?

PEG688

Machines just about like wood with carbide cutters, you can cut it on a table saw drill holes with hole saws, it does dull them quickly.

Sink holes and the such need to be done with templates and a flush trimming / bearing guided pattern bit. The bigger the cutter and router the smoother the cut.

The glue they used is a type of epoxy BUT I would NOT use a standard West Systems or similar "regular" epoxy , It MIGHT work but the stuff I used has been pre packaged / measured out. You squeeze the package to co-join the two parts then mix it by clipping the bag / package in a orbital sander where the sand paper gets clipped in. Then spread and clamp by using cauls hot glued to the product. Knock the cauls off after and sand with a random orbit sanded to desired grit.   

So it depends if this guys wants to pay you to learn or waste the Corian IF the West Systems and learning curve do not do so well. 

G/L PEG     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John_C

Thanks PEG.

He has more than twice the amount of Corian he needs. I suggested we cut one piece & try a couple different glues.  He was going to try to find a source for the correct adhesive.

PEG688

Quote from: John C on September 29, 2008, 10:30:15 PM
Thanks PEG.

He has more than twice the amount of Corian he needs. I suggested we cut one piece & try a couple different glues.  He was going to try to find a source for the correct adhesive.

That might work, call a few cabinet shops someone should have some glue they'd sell him. Corian controls that stuff pretty close / tight , but they have relaxed some what from say 10 years ago. You'd have a harder time finding the poduct than the glue I'd think.

G/L PEG     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

desdawg

John, if you find an adhesive source please let me know. I have cut the product with carborundum skill saw blades (masonry blades) and regular old sabre saw blades.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

peternap

You will need the special Corian glue. Any counter shop will have it.

I use the stuff non stop. I get scraps from one of the Counter Stores here for free.
It will machine fine with HSS router bits and saws but like PEG said. they will dull fast.

I use it to make jigs, bases for fixtures, knife handles, marlinspikes, fence attachments for the tablesaw...The list is endless...Oh, it makes nice countertops too ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!