Painting wood stove

Started by Yankeesouth, October 18, 2012, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Has anyone ever repainted a cast iron wood stove?  Other than sanding and prepping....that includes sealing cracks and wiping with lacquer.  Are there any box store high temp paints that work well?  Anyone have a good experience using one of them?

flyingvan

Find what you love and let it kill you.

johnecash

I've had good results using automotive header paint.

-J.C.-

zion-diy

I too have used auto header paint. works fine. Just be sure to paint it outside and fire it up outdoors and let it heat and set the paint without the  smoke or stink flowing through the house. Don't ask me how I know this. d*
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

considerations

I had discussions about this with the guy who makes Navigator stoves..he offers stoves of different colors.They are porcelain enamel colors.  He had some strong words about off gassing. Outdoors is apparently a good place to do this.

Yankeesouth

Thanks guys.....sounds like whatever option is taken.....it's best to burn off the stink outside. 

Yankeesouth

One more question.....is using automotive header paint opposed to using "official wood stove paint" the same comparison as a regular old grease gun opposed to a marine grease gun.  Hence:  Marine grease gun $15.00 plain old grease gun $5.00.  Am I paying for the name by buying official wood stove paint?

flyingvan

Good question----I compared a few Material Safety Data Sheets from some stove paint manufacturers to a few from high temp engine paint manufacturers.  NOT the same.  The carriers are different, for one---They both had toluene but the engine paints also had much more volatile carriers (Propane, butane) the stove paints lacked.  That doesn't worry me much---those just evaporate away. 
However----the ingredient in the engine paints not present in the stove paints was Ethyl 3-Ethoxypropionate ---- an ester, and a known carcinogen.  Taking a carcinogen inside and heating it repeatedly to disperse it then inhale it probably isn't a great idea.  It would be really hard to quanitfy how much of it gets 'burned away' by doing a few firings outside first.  I'll spend the extra $40 for the peace of mind

Yankeesouth

Point made Fly.....No need to hurry my funeral along. Thanks!  Guess that's why they have MSDS.

NM_Shooter

Yeah, heck... for that matter, light a good fire or two in any new woodstove outside before bringing it in.  I have a Vermont Castings stove in my addition that smoked the place up the first few times it was lit.  Just make sure to use a stove pipe section to pull a draw and get it nice and hot.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

flyingvan

That's not a bad idea!  We always have a hot fire during late summer so we can leave the windows open and burn off any dust that built up over the year, and make sure no critters set up house in the chimney.  I haven't inspected my chimney this year, but did every year and it always has just a light smoke staining, no build up