Floor laminate on walls????

Started by Yankeesouth, March 29, 2011, 11:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeesouth

Not sure I would have ever thought of this but I was talking to a friend about my cabin walls and he mentioned putting floor laminate on the walls.  I have some serious doubts about this working.  His arguments for....were moisture resistant and durable.  My arguments against.....were sagging and seams.  Would this concept work?  Anyone ever do it or try it?   ???

MountainDon

Laminate flooring, like Pergo and the clones?  That is not going to work. On a floor at least it is not glued or nailed, it floats on a thin foam pad.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Bad idea.  There is a place for everything and this is not the place.  There is no way to attach it w/o face nailing.  It's design is to move and when you would restrict that movement even if you could get it affixed to the walls/ceiling it would not stay w/o buckeling, sagging and seperating. 

firefox

Here is a link to the stuff they use for computer floor tile.
They have stuff that is intended for walls with varying
advantages. Comes in various sizes:

Widths – 48" (1219 mm), 60" (1524 mm)
Lengths – 96" (2438 mm), 120" (3048 mm), 144" (3658 mm)
These are nominal dimensions obtainable from oversized sheets.
Thickness: 0.028" (± .004); 0.7 mm (± .10)

I am not sure about cost, but some of this stuff is indestructable.
There is a lot of info there including fire ratings. My take on this
is that it is glued to either plywood or particle board.

I would recommend this stuff for rooms subject to young kids or drunken brawls ;D
Bruce

http://www.nevamar.com/nevamar/pages_nevamar/nevamar_product_specs.html
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Yankeesouth

I didn't think it would work.  Too many bad variables to consider.  I was just curious because I would never even thought of doing such a thing until he mentioned it.  But ya never know....... I am sure someone somewhere has tried it.  My walls are actual wood from real live, well once alive, trees.

Kiwi55

What about solid wood flooring for the walls? You could nail through the tounges, they come prefinished and in all sorts of varieties...