12x16 Phase1

Started by Abbynrml, January 23, 2009, 08:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbynrml

Worked friday and saturday morning this week.
Got the roof trim all done on 3 sides, and primered.
I'm ready to paint them next.
Got rained out at noon, hope it doesnt mess up the primer.
It felt dry when I left.

Abbynrml

Today I got 2 coats of paint on the shed. Still need to do the siding trim and paint it.
Also need to fix the turbine vent and then I will be finished with the ladder. Looking forward to that. Ladders are tough on this old fart.  ;D
I'm beat but happy.

Abbynrml

Here is a current pic.

Abbynrml

Spent the weekend cleaning up construction debris and painted the trim thats already on. Added 2 posts on the porch and sealed the deck with watersealer.
Half of a big hickory and an oak fell down in the storm last week.
Luckly not on the shed.
Here is the current pic. Kind of dark, sorry.

Abbynrml

We did some more cleanup this weekend. Burned some and mowed.
Also cut up a bunch of hickory to try and sell for BBQ wood.
Maybe I can sell enough to pay for the last of the materials I need to buy.
Saturday was beautiful, clouded up abit today.

Abbynrml

Well, I'm sad to say that construction has stopped for now.
I am between jobs, again...thats twice this year.

Thanks Obama....So this is the hope and change he promised...
We hope to pay the bills and feed our family and
the change was our employment and class status.  >:(
No more middle class in the USA, only rich or poor now as far as I can see. Strange how under Bush people were working, now unemployment is widespead and getting worse.
Anybody want to buy any firewood?

Osprey

Not sure if this is a place to talk politics but surely you don't blame the current president for the mess left by the last one?

2 wars, housing and financial collapse are going to take a little longer than 10 months to fix.

Hope things look up for you soon.

Mike 870

Why don't you focus on the low-to-no cost stuff that you know you will want to do in the future, like painting or landscaping etc.

John Raabe

Best wishes Abbynrml on your current projects and the job/economics of your area. These adjustments have been a long time in the making and will not be solved by the snap of anybody's finger.

The more I read about long term (80-90 year) economic cycles, the less I think politicians have much to do with it.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Abbynrml

Allow me to reply.
John: I agree, this wont be resolved with a snap of a finger. And that the politicans dont control economic cycles, but I think they do try to guide them. And right now we need help. We = the world, not just the USA. I guess thats the one world government idea. I dont think its an answer either, but looks like it could happen.
Mike: Exellent idea. Funny, because I already have a job offer for some painting to do. Might happen in a week. Thats a good thing. I like your positive attitude!
Osprey: I agree that it isnt all Obamas fault. However, I also think that he isnt doing much/enough to fix things. Nor do I believe it is Bushs fault either...I'm not sure who to blame. And I dont know who can fix it.

I wish I had the answers, but it seems no one can figure out this mess we are all in. It might not effect some as much as others, but everyone will be affected by it. I could go on and on, but I dont see how pointing fingers would help. I just want to see things start picking up.

And thanks to everyone for the best wishes. I'll be ok. Things will work out....

Sassy

Sorry to hear about your job  :(  find some niche areas - things you can do that others can't or won't - that will widen your opportunities...  Mike had some good ideas - I'm sure you've thought about a lot of stuff...  makes it tough

But you have a fine looking cabin in a beautiful setting  :)   Even with it not complete you can still camp out in there  ;D  We did it in our cabin with dirt floors & plastic walls  [crz]

I think the last several administrations have been operating in a bubble - when you allow all sorts of "creative" financial products like "derivatives" & other sorts of totally bogus investments, you have trouble brewing...

We had Michael Milken & the junk bond fiasco, the S&L failures, Enron & a bunch of other big corps going down the tubes due to illegal, criminal, cooking the books activities & then all the bank failures, bailouts, criminal activities of the Federal Reserve...  what can you expect?  Our politicians - both sides, are right there eating at the trough  >:(

PS:  was writing this when you replied...

Wish you the best!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Abbynrml

* Abbynrml points to Sassy and says, I think she hit the nail on the head!

And thanks.

Going to go camping this weekend at the shed. And cut wood to sell.
;D

wjabsco

Good luck Abby!  The shed looks great, just got done reading through the thread...I like the style and size for a place to live and work on a future "big house".  Some version of 'karma' persists no matter the politicians or govt - your ambition and pleasure in this project will ensure your success.  Look forward to seeing your progress in the future!

Abbynrml

Well still unemployed. Its been 2 months now.
However maybe that will change soon.
I have a 2nd interview set up for tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

HomeschoolMom

We are pretty much unemployed too.  It sucks!  We are self employed so we aren't unemployed but definitely underemployed, and no unemployment benefits.   :(  If only we had the ability to start on a house, it would make the time seem more useful.  On a plus side, lots of family time.   :)  Hope it turns around for you soon.  We are in Michigan and I don't see things changing here anytime soon.  We are wondering how long we will be able to stay in this area.
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

phalynx

MountainDon

Quote from: Abbynrml on December 14, 2009, 05:22:17 PM
Well still unemployed. Its been 2 months now.
However maybe that will change soon.
I have a 2nd interview set up for tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

All the best luck!!!!
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Here's hoping all goes well for all of you.  I have several small jobs between bigger jobs but for the most part things are not looking great for a while.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Abbynrml

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the support.

n74tg

Abbynrml:
Do you also build and fly Spads; if so, it's a really small world.  If not, there is a guy over there that has your same username.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Abbynrml

No, the only flying I do is down the hwy on the way to my shed.
And tell that guy to quit using my nick.
I copyrighted it, lol

Abbynrml©

n74tg

Ab:
Actually his name is Team Abbynormal (notice the spelling).  He and his son (and I) build and fly radio control model airplanes built out of coroplast sign material.  Just thought you might like to know (as he didn't really steal your whole username).
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Abbynrml

Wow what a relief, now I can sleep at night.
Hehe
Actually it came from the movie young frankenstein.
It was just an old guys feeble attempt at some light humor.

Abbynrml

I recently had a near disaster, it was rather cool at night and we use a generator for power at the shed. I plugged a space heater into an extension cord to keep the chill off. BIG MISTAKE!!!

Do not use extension cords with heaters!

I awoke to find the generator had run out of gas, went out and refilled it then started it again. Came back in and just happened to touch the cord to move it away from the door way before going back to bed.
The cord was hot. Very hot. it actually melted the heater plug into the extension cord. Its a miracle it did not start a fire.
We will never do that again.
Anyway, it presents a problem, I dont want the generator very close, it is outside, but I prefer it 50 feet away. The gasses from a generator/gas engine are deadly. But using an extension cord is unsafe also.
I'm no electrician, but perhaps a simple solution would be to use a system like/or even from a travel trailer or boat that uses the shore power line.
Plug the generator into the shore line that runs into the shed to a breaker box then run some plug outlets out from it. Perhaps I can find/salvage a system from an old trailer or boat.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Squirl

volts x amps = watts

120 volts x A = 3000 (assumed wattage of heater)

A = 3000/120

Amps = 25

In this scenario you would need a cord built for 25 amps.  Most extension cords I see are built for 15-20 amps.  I believe 30 amp wire is 12 awg.  If you want to be on the safe side go with a 10 awg extension cord.  I am not an electrician, but these are the usually sizing requirements I go by.
http://www.affordable-solar.com/wire.charts.htm